Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Although this is old news to current players, I thought it might be worth pointing out for new players interested in the game.

The Chaos and Werebeast armies are both considered "mercenaries." By that, they mean that neither of these are complete armies in and of themselves. Instead, each of these "armies" includes four blocks of each of the colors for the previous seven armies. The player is then left to choose which mercenaries to assign to each army.

I would not suggest taking these assignments lightly, since it is possible to considerably unbalance the armies by giving, for example, four fliers to one army. Also, I am very much in favor of maintaining the theme of each army, both in the character of the new units and in their terrain specialities. Thus, I would not give the Dwarves any forest units, nor the Elves any mountain units. Giving all armies at least one aquatic and a couple flyers is necessary to ensure that maps divided by water are accessible to all players.

I took a long time, and finally decided on my assignments for the Chaos Army units. I will see how they play out before I add in the Werebeasts. Maybe I'll post my assignments later for comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike van Schijndel
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZuidHolland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Mercenary Armies
GaryP (#26206),

Hey Gary!

Although this is an old post, did you (or anyone else) come up with a good way of spreading the chaos units?

Tnx

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Mercenary Armies
FreakFire74 wrote:
Although this is an old post, did you (or anyone else) come up with a good way of spreading the chaos units?

Heh... well, I guess I never did get around to posting my list and my reasoning. Perhaps I should dig up the list and type it out, as I saved my notes.

Although I don't quite agree with all of the reasoning, Pete Smith's article is a good read and gives food for thought. I went with correcting the unit typos and *then* assigning Chaos, so I definitely had a different frame of mind. (And no, there's no offical list of typos in spite of asking CG outright on multiple occasions. Grant has mentioned that there were several, but never gives specifics.)
http://www.columbiagames.com/resources/8500/chaosbalancing.s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That article seems to be gone now that 2nd edition is out. Does anyone have a copy of that article? Or direct me to where it can be viewed/downloaded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wayback Machine is your friend.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://www.columbiagames.com/resources/8500/chaosbalancing.shtml

Copy the WHOLE link.

Thank you, Friend Computer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks a bunch Gary. I have never heard of the "Wayback Machine"!

I wonder what else is out there for WK I can find?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.