Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
78 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » Variants

Subject: Any rules or FAQ revelations that you will be ignoring/house ruling, and why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only found one so far. Auto-looting when you end your movement on a space with loot on it.

For thematic reasons we won't be playing this way. I can't see my character feeling a magically irresistible urge to stoop down and pick something up if they don't want to. Granted I can't think of many reasons NOT to loot if it's free, but we have seen at least 1 case where the player did not want it (no spoilers).

There's a couple others I was questionable about but I can accept. But this one just seems odd to us, and will be ignored.

Have you guys who have played found similar situations where you added a house rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be considering house rules before I have

1. Received my game and

2. Played a few sessions to form a reasonable opinion and

3. Make sure I am playing the game correctly as intended by the designer and

4. House rule only as a last resort
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know about the spoiler but since all the characters are mercenaries, I'm fine with them automatically grabbing the loot. It was discussed that when looting bodies it is more like a scavenge, where they don't know what they'll pick up and the assorted stuff, represented by the money token, can be sold for gold as per the conversion table.

Now, if it is an object that is harmful and the character would have been able to know that, then that is a different story. But again, not knowing the spoiler, I would imaging that even if the player knows, the character doesn't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
I've only found one so far. Auto-looting when you end your movement on a space with loot on it.

For thematic reasons we won't be playing this way. I can't see my character feeling a magically irresistible urge to stoop down and pick something up if they don't want to. Granted I can't think of many reasons NOT to loot if it's free, but we have seen at least 1 case where the player did not want it (no spoilers).

It sounds like you have been playing the game, so I trust that you are doing what works for your group. However, loot effects aren't all that common, so I'm curious if you've made the auto-loot optional or if you have removed the rule entirely. If the later, are you concerned that the party will become gold-poor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1610972/gloomhaven/variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just say the character in question had a very good and personal reason to not pick up any loot in a scenario. So we couldn't envision him going into the scenario with that intention, and then being forced to change his mind just because he happened to be standing over a coin as he was trying to take down another monster.

"I WOULD go and attack that monster guys, but there's a scary gold coin on the floor right next to him!"

End of scenario, Character notices they had gum on the bottom of their boot which accidentally picked up a gold coin. "Nooooooo!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
I'll be ruling that the included 2x and null shuffle cards function equivalent to +0 shuffle cards (i.e. the reduced randomness variant mentioned in the rule book) because I find the amount of randomness they provide by default a little distasteful. Furthermore, I want blesses and curses to feel like a big deal that characters don't have access to by default.

Other than that though, I plan on playing strictly by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
Let's just say the character in question had a very good and personal reason to not pick up any loot in a scenario. So we couldn't envision him going into the scenario with that intention, and then being forced to change his mind just because he happened to be standing over a coin as he was trying to take down another monster.

"I WOULD go and attack that monster guys, but there's a scary gold coin on the floor right next to him!"

End of scenario, Character notices they had gum on the bottom of their boot which accidentally picked up a gold coin. "Nooooooo!"

Ah, I see. If he has incentive not to loot, I buy not forcing it. Thinking about it, I'm actually now not quite sure why the rule exists that you automatically gain loot if you end your turn standing on it. I mean, you choose to play loot cards or not, allowing other characters the chance to pick them up if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two rules I altered or ignored.

1. Playing solo and bumping level up. I tried twice with two characters with scenario 1 at level 1 as suggested for solo play and couldn't get past room 2. Dropped down to Level 0 and it was much better. 1 or 2 extra HPs per enemy makes a big difference.

2. End of Scenario. I've played too many RPGs so I just couldn't end scenario with loot still in the room. I played on til the characters were exhausted. Didn't really take much longer maybe three rounds active each character between resting and moving. Made it more viable to keep a loot card still in the hand at the end plus made it feel like they were rewarded for making it through. They only got less than half loot laying around but much better than 1 coin token they would've ended with. Who has time to loot a chest while a battle is raging. Doesn't make sense. So this rule is probably going to stay altered for my campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster disappears once killed - I am thinking do they just disintegrate? why not be a trip obstacle at least until room is done.

Monster pushed through multiple traps, dies in first "evaporates" (as above) vs stumbling through trap one, becomes pin cushion (or whatever) and suddenly is pinned in place while disintegrating not tripping trap two. In normal world momentum (unless you literally have a stake run through you and into the floor pinning you in place or are disintegrated by a disintegration ray or molten lava poured over your head) carries you into the next tripping it and wasting it...

These two seem very dependent on what kills you and in most cases somewhat unnatural, then again not sure how this may impact play and I guess it is "magical" world...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Terry about the bump up level playing solo...didn't like it, not doing it and it's still challenging!

I don't like the no sharing of gold and trading items, although I'm currently using it to start , I may house rule it later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
ebridge wrote:

Except you're now relaxing a rule to make that particular achievement easier. Perhaps its rewards are consummate to the difficulty? So you're thematically justifying making the game easier, a game which is in large part focused on the tactical combat necessary to complete scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T-Mo wrote:
2. End of Scenario. I've played too many RPGs so I just couldn't end scenario with loot still in the room. I played on til the characters were exhausted. Didn't really take much longer maybe three rounds active each character between resting and moving. Made it more viable to keep a loot card still in the hand at the end plus made it feel like they were rewarded for making it through. They only got less than half loot laying around but much better than 1 coin token they would've ended with. Who has time to loot a chest while a battle is raging. Doesn't make sense. So this rule is probably going to stay altered for my campaign.

I could get behind this, depending on how it affects balance. It is not as extreme as automatically getting all the loot in that you can only grab stuff until you are exhausted. Depending on how close the battles are, it may only result in a few extra items.

It will mean that loot cards will typically not be used in the middle of combat though. Which is what Isaac was trying to prevent. He wants loot vs fight decisions to be part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
could also be thematic - maybe other bad guys will come if you hang out, characters dont know for sure, hence the rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
T-Mo wrote:

If you regularly have that much time, that's a good sign you have the difficulty set too low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those not following the recommended solo bump in difficulty, are you going to stick with the multiplayer chart?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
ET11 wrote:
I don't like the no sharing of gold and trading items, although I'm currently using it to start , I may house rule it later.

At the beginning this doesnt seem like a big deal but I can see an issue when you are about to have someone retire and you "trade" all your items and gold to someone, then when you make a new character just trade it to that guy. If people allow that it wouldn't make sense to me thematically. Why give someone you just met all your cool stuff? Everyone in my party has their own agendas, we aren't true friends. If I'm out with 2 friends and I find $100 on the ground, would I split it or keep it for myself? and if i'm about to retire, you can bet I'm not giving up my retirement to others just because they are still working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wildinferno wrote:
ET11 wrote:

At the beginning this doesnt seem like a big deal but I can see an issue when you are about to have someone retire and you "trade" all your items and gold to someone, then when you make a new character just trade it to that guy. If people allow that it wouldn't make sense to me thematically. Why give someone you just met all your cool stuff? Everyone in my party has their own agendas, we aren't true friends. If I'm out with 2 friends and I find $100 on the ground, would I split it or keep it for myself? and if i'm about to retire, you can bet I'm not giving up my retirement to others just because they are still working.

Makes sense, personally I may try, after playing for awhile if it feels right, allowing people to sell items to other mercenaries at 75% value, as logically, a mercenary would do this, as they get more money for their item and the buying mercenary would as they get a 25% discount lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
wildinferno wrote:
ET11 wrote:

Makes sense, personally I may try, after playing for awhile if it feels right, allowing people to sell items to other mercenaries at 75% value, as logically, a mercenary would do this, as they get more money for their item and the buying mercenary would as they get a 25% discount lol.

I had thought originally that allowing sharing the cash loot at the end of a scenario seemed okay. However, although my copy is still in Germany and so I haven't seen any cards yet etc., I am guessing there maybe a goal to gather/hold X cash etc. before a character retires and if so allowing the sharing would give that character a big bonus I would suggest as they would not have to rely on there own efforts to succeed. The same is true of the auto loot option and so these could unbalance the game potentially in favour of such a character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rpvt wrote:
ebridge wrote:

Except you're now relaxing a rule to make that particular achievement easier. Perhaps its rewards are consummate to the difficulty? So you're thematically justifying making the game easier, a game which is in large part focused on the tactical combat necessary to complete scenarios?

Exactly this.

Everyone is so determined to change the rules which are very thoughtfully put in place without any concept of how it will actually impact the intent of the game. I think people should try the game with the intended rules for a while before arbitrarily just changing everything to fit their paradigm. Thematically you can't see mercenaries picking up gold from the ground? Fine then put the gold to the side and thematically decide that this is the loot they find at the end of the scenario...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Allen
United States
White Settlement
Texas
flag msg tools
www.bobweekend.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What mercenary would not pick up any loot in sight/reach? This is very much in the theme. Smack an attacker then grab what you can. You are working with this band because you have a better chance in a group than solo. You still want to loot everything you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobweekend wrote:
What mercenary would not pick up any loot in sight/reach? This is very much in the theme. Smack an attacker then grab what you can. You are working with this band because you have a better chance in a group than solo. You still want to loot everything you can.

I had tried playing the rules as stated for solo play but was getting my ass kicked (never got out of room 2 in scenario 1). There were times that looting made sense or more likely a character was lucky to end in a space with loot but at the end game - how can you waste actions when you are in a battle royale in last room with limited cards left. Sure it is a tradeoff - loot or fight. I'm all for the every mercenary for themselves rule and by allowing them to continue at the "End" of the scenario to loot if they were not exhausted seems to make more sense to me. I was playing the Scoundrel and Brute so at the end of the scenario Scoundrel only had 4 cards left and Brute 5. That only gave them a few turns to loot the remains/search for treasure before they were too tired to carry on. I could see after a really tough battle there might only be one guy left not exhausted and not really be able to do a "Post-End" loot but for now I'm going to add it in to my games. I don't think doing this in the early game breaks anything major - even if the designer thought this was not how he wanted it played - there is a steep learning curve to this game so as with any variant it is there to make the game the player's own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bobweekend wrote:

Then why have a battle goal for a mercenary that says "Don't pick up any loot?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
bobweekend wrote:

Then why have a battle goal for a mercenary that says "Don't pick up any loot?"

Yeah, it means that to complete the goal, you can't end your turn on any loot hex, making you alter your movement just to avoid the auto-pickup. When in reality if that is the character's goal, they wouldn't pick it up. I typically don't house rule stuff but this one is close, at least for the character that has that battle goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
madspy1337
United States
flag msg tools
mb
The only rule I'm ignoring is the "don't share specific information with your allies" rule. My gf and I are playing open hand, and we still find the game fun and challenging. I'm sure some people will say this is cheating, but who cares in a coop game? We just play how we want, and honestly I'm just glad my gf likes this game and is willing to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.