BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Blood Rage or Inis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a new dudes on a map game. Both of these look very interesting, I'd like to get both but for now that's greedy, so any idea which I might prefer?

I love Cyclades because it looks beautiful, is very tight and has just enough strategy. Such an elegant game.

I like Mare Nostrum Empires a lot but find it very prone to king making, it can run a little long and setup times are somewhat hefty. I like that it has a bit more depth than Cyclades... but the added depth comes with a less slick experience.

Chaos In The Old world I loved and hated. I loved the richness of the theme and the innovative gameplay, but I felt it was very rough around the edges and mechanisms were a little clunky in places which led to the game dragging.

Forbidden Stars is awesome but setup and playtime mean I can rarely get it to the table. The strong theme, cool miniatures and simultaneous action selection make it a hit for me.

Both BR and Inis obviously have similar themes which I love, I'm currently learning Swedish actually. Being an ex-Warhammer player I particularly like the miniatures in BR. I'd like a game which doesn't run over 2 hours. I really appreciate games which are light on rules but big on strategic depth. The amount of combat doesn't bother me much, as long as there is some. Things like simultaneous action / role selection / drafting or other mechanisms which keep the gameplay fast for all players are also greatly appreciated. I guess what I'm saying is I want a game which is efficient but deep enough to keep me interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a pretty negative opinion on Blood Rage but I'll use your criteria to explain why.

Blood Rage is basically a continuation of Chaos in the Old World as they were both designed by the same person. You'll find that Blood Rage is just as beautiful as Chaos but the game's core mechanism leads to it dragging. Basically a round doesn't end until everyone passes or there's nothing left to pillage. But only the instigator benefits from a pillage so in a 4 player game you'll find that there's always someone who can rush in to defend which keeps the game going longer.

But what really killed BR for me is the draft. There's no real way to counter draft your opponent. Taking a card they would want does not benefit you if you're not set up to use it. Also I find the gameplay promotes playing passively. Again, the instigator only benefits on a pillage and while the winner of a fight earns VP you can draft cards that heavily penalize the winner or earn even more VP for losing. It really leads to a game where you want all your guys on the map but not to fight; you need them to plug up areas for certain quests or end-of-round bonuses. It kind of flies in the face of the theme that the better player is usually doing the least fighting.

Which brings me to Inis and why it was an instant 10 for me. A full game is about 60 minutes once everyone knows how to play. Combat is a simple 1:1 removal or you can spend precious action cards to defend which forces an opponent to make a tough decision. You can also end combat early without it being an all-or-nothing bloodbath. Epic Quest cards add just enough randomness to be interesting but not chaotic.

But the best thing about Inis is the brilliant draft. You take a card and pass it. Then you add that card to the next pack and take 2 and so on. This means you can prevent your opponent from getting a good card but you don't have to commit to it or you can mold your strategy around that drafted card. A skilled player can not only draft their own hand, but they can basically create their opponent's hand. And Inis has a set number of cards you draft each time with one card getting burned. What this leads to is the players knowing what each other have and can plan around it.

The only negative is that Inis is kind of prone to Kingmaking. There are three very tight victory conditions and it's not uncommon for each player to be capable of winning one of them. The game continues if no one can exclusively win and being first player is the tie breaker so what you'll end up seeing in really tense scenarios are players negotiating with each other to stop the first player while trying to become the first player themselves. But a lot of this disappears with experience and only in your first game before you understand how the deed system works (basically counts as +1 to victory) will kingmaking and lengthy time be an issue. I can knock out a 4 player game in an hour.

Inis was recommended to me as someone who wanted Kemet's thoughtfulness with Blood Rage's quality components and it's a perfect game IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Kemet? I haven't played Inis yet (I need to remedy that--it's on my shelf, in shrink), but I can tell you that Kemet if my favorite (beautiful) dudes-on-a-map game by quite a margin. The only other one that rivals it for me is Struggle of Empires--which is genius! But Struggles doesn't have the highly detailed artwork you seem to be looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've considered Kemet multiple times but I can't see myself prefering it to Cyclades and most of my geekbuddies seem to agree. It seems a less subtle game.

Thanks for the Inis, BR comparison some interesting points. Anyone have a contrary opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you. Cyclades is better than Kemet (especially with the Hades expansion).

Ive still yet to try Inis.

I did enjoy Blood Rage though. Cry Havoc is also great fun, but unbalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
I agree with you. Cyclades is better than Kemet (especially with the Hades expansion).

Ive still yet to try Inis.

I did enjoy Blood Rage though. Cry Havoc is also great fun, but unbalanced.

Actually you're one of my geek buddies so I was already aware of your opinion but thanks for joining the discussion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Kemet a few years ago hoping I'd like Dudes on a Map board games. Turns out I didn't. Kemet never really settled well with me and eventually I sold it.

When a friend of mine brought Blood Rage to the table I had my doubts, but was pleasantly surprised. It was actually a decent game - I didn't like everything about the game, but I liked it.

Last month I played Inis for the first time. Inis has completely ruined any other Dudes on a Map game for me. Inis is by far the superior game - it just works. There is only a very limited number of cards, so you know what cards will be played (except for one set aside card that won't enter play). The game is really about timing - when to play that perfect card while avoid being countered by another card.
Inis has a lot of tension as well. My only complaint would be the length. Our firs few games of Inis dragged on for a little too long, but after repeated plays we've found this to be less of an issue as we learn different tactics and strategies.
Without any doubt, my recommendation between the two is Inis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Inis and Cyclades is my number one game with the Hades exspansion. Blood Rage come in at number three and is a terrific game and is well worth your time. It plays fast with many viable strategies. Can't give it any higher praise as it's one of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also really like Blood Rage. I don't think losing fights is the only viable way to win, in fact, without winning some battles, you probably cannot win at all (unless the others players do not know what they are doing).

The great thing is, that losing battles does not automatically mean losing the game. You need to win strategically important battles, or know your limits and not fight every battle, if you have a choice.

The drafting is nice, though it would be cool, if there were a few more cards for more variety (almost all the cards are used in every game).

Never played Inis, but it sounds like a game to watch out for.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage is okay. It was fun enough, but I can't see myself playing it much. Cry Havoc, on the other hand, I absolutely loved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
Blood Rage is by far my favorite game and I have not played Inis yet, so it might be a bit unfair to recommend Blood Rage to you. But if you liked Chaos in the Old World there is a great chance you like Blood Rage too because it feels like a streamlined, faster and more beginner friendly version of that game. Every mechanism I liked about CITOW feels improved and everything it didn't like (for example dice combat) got replaced by a superior mechanism.
In my gaming group (20 people) just one didn't like Blood Rage, so it is no suprise that it is the game that hits the table most often. It is easy to teach, drafting makes every game different and unpredictable, the miniatures are amazing, it scales great from 2 to 5 players and feels very balanced most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Inis, but its constantly on my watch list so I read this thread hoping to gain some insight about its gameplay. Which I did.

What I have played, own, and love is Blood Rage. These minis are second-to-none and while that has nothing to do with mechanics, it does enhance the experience of play. Summoning a fire giant is better when you have a massive figure to place on the board.

Blood Rage is ultimately a drafting game with a area control element that uses card play to resolve conflicts. Each faction (clan) begins the game with the same setup, customization develops over the course of the three ages.

A common complaint about Chaos in The Old World was that it was only good at 4 players. Blood Rage also shares this trait, though I would add that it plays excellently at 5 as well. 2-3 players is just not the same experience. So my advice to you would be that unless you can consistently get 4-5 players to table with this, pass.

+1 for Kemet as it does a lot of the same things that BR does, but scales far better at all player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood rage and INIS are both great games, but if I could only pick one it would be INIS hands down, I never get tired of playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
KristopherHickman wrote:

+1 for Kemet as it does a lot of the same things that BR does, but scales far better at all player counts.

Kemet is a great game and even more streamlined and fair than Blood Rage but I find it kind of bland in comparison. Blood Rage is much more diversified especially regarding ways to win the game. You can concentrate on battles, mission cards or even dying, whereas you essentially have to win fights to be successful in Kemet. Which makes Kemet much more stressful for me as you often have to battle right from the start. But I think that is one aspect so many others love about Kemet. It all depends on your preferences and the preferences of the people you play with. And that is why most of us will buy Blood Rage, Kemet, Inis and many more =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
futhee wrote:
Blood Rage is okay. It was fun enough, but I can't see myself playing it much. Cry Havoc, on the other hand, I absolutely loved.

Cry Havoc is okay. It was fun enough, but I can't see myself playing it much. Blood Rage, on the other hand, I absolutely loved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.