Hide
11 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Wargaming in Oahu rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T C
msg tools
Does anyone play--or are there any groups--for wargaming (GMT, AH, &c.) on Oahu?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rich
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Call The Armchair Adventurer game store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soccerref wrote:
Call The Armchair Adventurer game store.

I love that store! It's been a few years since I've been, but it's worth the trip, and I hope it never changes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
Okay. That store is at the top of my list to visit when I get there, but it appears to mostly be a miniatures store (as far as gaming goes).

I'm hoping to find a group or some individuals who play GMT type wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the guys at Armchair Adventurer (Honolulu) mostly play minis (or did when I was there, 2004-2007), proprietor Glen Fong had a large selection of used games that was worth looking through.

Jelly's, in Pearl City, also had a selection of wargames even though it was also a bookstore (recommended), CD store, guitar store, and RPG place. (If it had had a snack bar and bunks, there really would never have been any reason to leave.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McNeely
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

They have quite a few board games there too. Last time there I picked up Trial of Strength and Thunder at Cassino. It was only two years ago but they have a lot of vintage and new stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Am I the only one who feels disappointed reading this thread as I was expecting something more like this with a game set up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
brianmccue wrote:
While the guys at Armchair Adventurer (Honolulu) mostly play minis (or did when I was there, 2004-2007), proprietor Glen Fong had a large selection of used games that was worth looking through.

Jelly's, in Pearl City, also had a selection of wargames even though it was also a bookstore (recommended), CD store, guitar store, and RPG place. (If it had had a snack bar and bunks, there really would never have been any reason to leave.)

It looks like Jelly's has closed...

I guess I'll talk to Glen at AA and also post on their opponents wanted board (I hope they have one) for the wargames I'm hoping to play. So far my life has been almost primarily wargaming by myself.

I do plan to play plenty of Star Wars Armada at Armchair Adventurer, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen had stacks--some of them as high as me--of wargames old and new. I got a mint shrink-wrapped copy of AH's Machiavelli when I was there. I'm not sure what I had to leave out of the luggage when we flew home to not go over the weight limitation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Aloha!I am looking at starting a military wargaming club that would also be open to civilians. I have been to both the Armchair Adventurer and Other Realms...neither have a lot of wargames, but you can find some good titles.

I will need some experienced gamers to help facilitate games at some point after I hopefully get it started. If you are interested please let me know.

I am active Army stationed at US Army Pacific Headquarters at Fort Shafter.

Here are some links to what I did when I was on the staff at the Army War College

https://paxsims.wordpress.com/.../us-army-war-college-strate...

https://paxsims.wordpress.com/2016/02/09/matrix-games-at-the...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If anyone is interested, we are holding our first US Army Pacific open wargaming event on Fort Shafter on 22 March, 2017 from 5:00-10:00PM at the Island Palm Communities Brostrum Community Center. Feel free to bring games and snacks (there is a small kitchen there), but no alcohol. You can check out my collection, I will bring a selection from it (requests accepted).

Feel free to contact me on BGG or emails below for more info.

Jerry Hall
jerry.a.hall.mil@mail.mil or
jerry.a.hall1@gmail.com

The address is 225 Austin Rd, Honolulu, HI 96819 (Fort Shafter). If you are a civilian you just need a valid driver's license and your car has to have valid registration, insurance and safety check.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1st+Lt.+Jonathan+Brostrom+...:0x1fbc15b03cc64914!8m2!3d21.347735!4d-157.879149?hl=en
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.