Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Marie Sollitt
United States
Mt Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
My husband and I are new to board games (ignoring the standards we grew up with as children). We like pretty games and have had good luck with tile laying games (Drakon, Carcassonne, Hey That's My FIsh). Nice bits are a huge plus - I'm currently intrigued by Taluva. He's rejected most abstract strategy games and between a toddler and a long commute we're not going to tackle anything long or heavy. Suggestions appreciated.

Related to that is a question...while browsing geeklists over the past few days I saw a board game in which the bits stacked (though it wasn't a dexterity game), but now I cannot find it to investigate it further. I believe the bits were made of wood (painted) though I can't swear to it - they weren't square. I know it's not a lot to go on but if anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I presume you're after 2 player games from your comments, but otherwise anything by Days of Wonder qualifies as nice bits.

THe stacking thing, although not wood, could be Arkadia or Torres, both of which i would also class as nice bits

Welcome to the site

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marie,

I guess there might be a lot of suspects for your description - it's worthwhile checking out the following in any case, though.

Maybe it was Blokus 3D? Or Pueblo
Or, additionally to Tom's suggestion: Terra Turrium

Although I must confess only the first entry has wooden bits...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An absolute must-have concerning the bits is Ta Yü

Regards,
Flix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taluva is definitely a worthy choice. My wife generally dislikes abstracts, but she enjoys this one. Expect to play 5 or 6 games before you start grasping possibilities, but after that, the game is very good. You'll enjoy discovering clever tactics to build your villages. Initially it felt as though there would be too much to absorb, and the game would become one of AP (analysis paralysis, where players take WAY too much time between turns.) We now play the 2 player game easily in 30 minutes, or so. The 3 and 4 player game takes about 45 minutes to an hour.

The bits are INCREDIBLE. After each game we like to admire the landscape created, before resetting for the next one. That's another good sign. We nearly always play at least twice when this one comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marie Sollitt
United States
Mt Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Hi

Yes, we're looking for games that play well with 2 players, though games that scale up are most welcome. I found this geeklist

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19346

among others while searching. Interestingly, the husband has also expressed interest in the GIPF project games which intrigue me because they are so beautiful (well, I don't particularly like the look of the one with the timers), but generally we both like some theme (and not too much luck)

Ta Yu looks interesting...I don't think I've looked at it before.

As for my mysterious game with the stacking bits...thank you for all of the suggestions, but none of them were it. Most were too rectalinear and/or 1 major structure -this game had lots of little structures. The stacking parts were colorful, but not huge - I actually found Taluva because the little pagoda shaped bits remind me of the bits in the game I'm remembering. I have this memory that part of the game was creating the little structures. Of course, now that I'm trying to find it, I can't...but I am sure it will turn up eventually.

I'm glad to know that Taluva is that striking when you finish playing - it was the images of completed games that got me really interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marie Sollitt
United States
Mt Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I found it! The game is Diam and it was on this geeklist:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/15495

which I have now added to my favorites so I don't lose it again because there are lots of intersting bits on this list.

Now we return to the toddler daughter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for future reference... on the top left of the site (right below the "BoardGameGeek" picture) there is a list with your recently viewed games. And if you click on "All" at the bottom of it, you'll see a HUGE list of all the games pages you've visited --and I'm talking a list HUNDREDS of games long.

I use it all the time, for similar reasons (I remember I saw a game I liked, but can't remember the name).

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marie Sollitt
United States
Mt Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the tip. I did try using it, but I hadn't actually clicked on the game so it wasn't there. I did, however, use that "all" feature to check the history in my web browser on the appropriate days and revisited all of the geeklists that I looked at but failed to bookmark. It's a cool feature!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Taraday
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
The Downfall of Pompeii sounds nearly perfect for you. It has a good theme, good mix of luck and strategy and comes with a plastic volacno for dumping people into (the people are the only cheap bit as they are just small cylinders).

should work for 2 though best suited for 3-4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.