14 Posts

First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet» Forums » General

Subject: Companion App Requirements and Features rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olaf B
Canada
flag msg tools
Early backer here with a few questions about the companion app. Blending some digital in my analogue gaming creates some interesting opportunities.

Does the app require a constant internet connection? From what I understand of what the app does, it would have no need for networking once installed.

There should be no need for access to my contacts, camera, location, microphone, identity, etc. I can't imagine why it would. Right?

If the app crashes after hours of playing, do I loose my game?

Can games be saved at a point and restarted?

Can the random number generator be seeded with a value so people can share a game?

If I replace my phone, can I transfer my in-progress game to the new device.

/me hoping to leave the app vs no-app arguments in the other threads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Barker
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All valid questions. ^5s

As to connecting, perhaps it will check for updates from time to time. So that would be one reason for internet connection. For me, I will use the PC version of it, so hopefully we'll get some feedback on your questions.

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Im glad there is PC version. I don't use Smart phone neither tablet. I only have PC and laptops. There are other games that exclude PC and are no go for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carey
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mb
All good questions.

I'd like to also ask how many campaigns can run concurrently? I'd like to run 3 (solo, family, friends).

olabau wrote:
There should be no need for access to my contacts, camera, location, microphone, identity, etc. I can't imagine why it would. Right?

This is a very good point - I never really considered this because I will likely only play on PC. I'm very particular about phone app privacy and would trade the game away if the app required overbearing permissions (and was only available on those devices.)

olabau wrote:

Indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Sasinski
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since not so long ago it was a challenge for portal to set up live stream, I would not get high on expectation. After all it is a board game publisher, not an app publisher.

Just look at the FM presentation at recent Portalcon. They are using some shareware program to stream visuals from camera to the beamer. You could see "sparksoft.com" all the time on the screen.

I asked the question about app requirements. All I got is that it "will be working on android 4.3". The app was still missing some screens on the game setup wizard.

Board game industry in general is still learning what apps can bring to enhance game play experience. Still, I'm optimistic that app will develop as time go along. Still, final stretch goal for pre-orderers will be bugs in application.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it will be developed internally with existing staff. One game wouldn't be enough to support a full time developer, so I'd expect it to be contracted out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Majfrost wrote:
Board game industry in general is still learning what apps can bring to enhance game play experience.

Yet another reason to release the source code--allow the fans to help the publisher create the best app possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Sasinski
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
I doubt it will be developed internally with existing staff. One game wouldn't be enough to support a full time developer, so I'd expect it to be contracted out.

Of course, I guess I sent wrong message above. Still, Portal is product owner and sponsor of the application. All the requirements of OP could only be proposed by Portal, not a contracted developer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Majfrost wrote:
Of course, I guess I sent wrong message above. Still, Portal is product owner and sponsor of the application. All the requirements of OP could only be proposed by Portal, not a contracted developer.

Ah ok, I see your concern. It's a good point, without strong requirements it's a crap-shoot as to whether you get a quality product.

Ignacy has responded to a few threads here, so hopefully he sees this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carey
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mb
Portal has grown a lot in recent times in terms of people count. They have even hired softies to develop in-house.
See http://portalgames.pl/new_en/announcement-portalcon-9-keynot...

Hoping to see a Neuroshima app update too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf B
Canada
flag msg tools
Lets hope that if it requires a network connection, the server it connects to is more reliable than their online store.

"Hey monthly game group, I'm so glad we got together. Sorry we can't play the game I've talked about for months, their server is down"
shake

Doesn't bode well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
olabau wrote:
Lets hope that if it requires a network connection, the server it connects to is more reliable than their online store.

"Hey monthly game group, I'm so glad we got together. Sorry we can't play the game I've talked about for months, their server is down"
shake

Doesn't bode well.

Why should there be an on line need for internet connection ???

This is not WoW or Hearthstone video gaming. The App is there to support the boardgame play. Just like Descent2 or Mansions of Madness2 or ... the 35 year old boardgames of Avalon hill that got an AI by Apple2 or Atari 800 support.

And ... these 1981 Avalon Hill boardgames work better than ever tx to emulation modes...

So close the critical comments already. There is nothing "new" about App driven boardgames. They already exist for almost 40 years and they can be played forever AS LONG AS you have the (expensive) boardgame components that is ... Software is complete free of charge, has been since the late 70's even...

Close Assault

Dnieper River Line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stark
United Kingdom
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:

Recently Portal announced that they bought back rights for Neuroshima app and mentioned moving into app versions of their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
olabau wrote:
Early backer here with a few questions about the companion app. Blending some digital in my analogue gaming creates some interesting opportunities.

Does the app require a constant internet connection? From what I understand of what the app does, it would have no need for networking once installed.

If the app crashes after hours of playing, do I loose my game?

Can games be saved at a point and restarted?

Can the random number generator be seeded with a value so people can share a game?

If I replace my phone, can I transfer my in-progress game to the new device.

So, not a single one of these questions in the original post have been answered. I'd love to hear the answers myself as I hadn't thought of a few of the listed questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.