Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Dungeon Alliance» Forums » General

Subject: How often does PvP happen? Why would I play this over Arcadia Quest? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks! Very excited for this game. I'm a big fan of Andrew's previous work, Core Worlds.

I just have a couple of questions. I want to understand how this game exactly works.

1) How often does player vs player combat happen? Is this a huge part of the game? Is this an inevitability? Or do players usually not run into each other in this game?
What happens when you run into each other usually? Does a party get wiped out? Do they fall behind?

2) The hero party aspect reminds me of another excellent game Arcadia Quest. Granted the 2 games have very different mechanisms. But I want to know if they are scratching different itches. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Jake.

Also posting this in the KS comments section for maximum coverage.

For the PvP, if you are playing with this variant, it takes up most of the final 25% of the game. I am normally not a huge fan of PvP in games, but for Dungeon Alliance, I am always the most aggressive because the combat is so fun. Casting Telekinesis and hurling a monster into a wall may be cool, but doing that to an opponent? Heck yes!

I think one of the differences between DA and other games of the dungeon-crawl genre is the emphasis on hand management rather than dice manipulation. In other words, you are generally not using dice at all for combat, but enhancing your actions through cardplay. And since your cards will not work with all characters, managing your tactics based on your hand of cards becomes even more important.

The other aspect of Dungeon Alliance that has been the most significant player experience goal for our development team is making sure that each of the 17 characters feels completely different. By supplying each character with 3 unique cards that no one else possesses, they each have their own quirky little personalities, and you have to figure out how to make your 4 disparate personalities work together the best. This is the most exciting and enticing part of the game for us when we play.

Thanks!

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bors
msg tools
[q="Andrew Parks"] "I am normally not a huge fan of PvP in games, but for Dungeon Alliance..." LIAR! Did you or Did you not make D&D Attack Wing? That game is all PVP! Such a great game too /cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bors77 wrote:
Andrew Parks wrote:
"I am normally not a huge fan of PvP in games, but for Dungeon Alliance..."
LIAR! Did you or Did you not make D&D Attack Wing? That game is all PVP! Such a great game too /cry

LOL, thanks, Bors! True, Attack Wing is all PvP, but my preference for gameplay is normally indirect interaction, not direct conflict.

But in DA, for some reason, I have lots of fun with it. The other players sometimes avoid my part of the dungeon, because they know I'm very likely to spring open a secret door and fill their room with magical flames. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.