Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenny Barnes is one of my favorite Arkham Files investigator and I decided to start kinda of a Reverse Campaign: playing the same investigator in every Arkham game in my collection. Now I'm asking you what's your favorite Investigator in the entire Arkham Files? In wich game would you like to see her/him if not alredy available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Thurlow
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashcan Pete and Duke for the win. He's the only reason I'm grabbing the expansion before I finish the base story and side stories. The whole versatile vagabond concept is right up my alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really tough.

I think my favorites are Gloria Gouldburg and Agnes Baker. I really like Minh as well though.

If I had to choose just one, it would be Gloria. She is sort of a female recreation of Lovecraft and as a writerly bookish kinda guy myself, I appreciate her typewriter-on-a-strap shoulderbag. I really want to see her hit Arkham TCG, but I can't even really begin to imagine how she would work.

She usually has abilities that center on better Otherworld/Gate encounters and her personal story in Arkham the board game is about whether she's forseeing and writing the story and able to affect the outcome or whether the GOO's have chosen her as a pawn and are writing HER story. Her signature weakness could be devastating... And as there aren't really separate "otherworld" encounters, I imagine she would just have some kind of ability that affects the event deck. As far as deck construction restrictions? Maybe a deck based on Insight cards, seeker cards, with a dash of mystic/survivor?

With so many investigators, the chances they'll put Gloria in one soon is probably not that high as she only JUST made it to Eldritch with the Dreamlands expansion (the most recent).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original board game my favorite was always Harvey Walters because he was so well suited for spell casting. Also he just looks like such a cranky old man. That said I'm not sure how they'd make Harvey not just feel like Daisy in this game.

My runners up would be Bob Jenkins because I just find the idea of putting a Salesman (who looks like he belongs in an episode of Mad Men) in these situations to be so entertaining. I'd love to see what they can do with that character in this game.

I love Jenny and Ashcan as characters, but they usually were first picks for other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't say I have a favorite because I almost always choose randomly. My friends have definite favorites that they always play with, but I will take pretty much anyone in any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashcan Pete is definitely my favorite, but I also am quite fond of Skids (after a couple Arkham games where he took down Ancient Ones with his tommy gun), Zoey Samaras and Dexter Drake. I've been pretty lucky in that most of my favorites have already been ported to the LCG!

Dexter Drake was the first investigator I played, and Arkham Horror had me hooked after reading his Personal Story card from Innsmouth. "You don't want to see real magic, kid. No one does." I just loved how evocative it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Sauter
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Silas! Every day is Man Crush Monday for me when it comes to Silas! The day simply cannot come soon enough when am Innsmouth deluxe expansion and Silas are released for this game. In Arkham Horror he is my absolute favorite! I love him in Eldritch Horror (even if Arkham's artwork is better)! I cannot wait to get him with Omens of Ice! And Mansions of Madness needs to get him immediately!

With that said, Lily Chen is also a favorite, Bob is an old favorite, and Ashcan grows on me with every play and every release! I wish more would be done with Tony Morgan, because I love him in Arkham Horror and the images and stories that run through my head when I think of a bounty hunter in the Lovecraft Mythos are just awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lily Chen and Rita Young

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Van Langenhove
msg tools
Mandy Thompson was my favourite in Arkham Horror (but only ever played the base set, so not much experience). Her reroll ability was amazing in that game.

I assume however that she wont have that kind of ability in the card game since Wendy already pretty much has that ability.

So I doubt we will see her soon in this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
msg tools
As near as I can tell, Jenny Barnes is the only Arkham Horror investigator to show up in every Arkham Horror Files game as playable, either through the base game or expansions:

-Arkham Horror
-Elder Sign
-Mansions of Madness
-Eldritch Horror
-Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition
-Arkham Horror: The Card Game

The only other characters who come close are Wendy Adams (who is only absent from Mansions of Madness 1st Edition, so she is tied with Jenny if you count both editions as the same game) and Ashcan Pete, who is not presently in Eldritch.

In a way I think this makes Jenny to be kind of the mascot of the series, if not the central protagonist. Sadly, so far her only chance to save her sister is in the original Arkham Horror game... in the others she always ends up still searching.

My current favorite investigator is Bob Jenkins. He's a great Everyman character. I'd love to play him in Arkham Horror: The Card Game - he's definitely a Rogue class. In Mansions of Madness his stat cards are so grim (he gets to choose between getting a briefcase with "Seven Days A Week" or a bottle of Jack with "Coping Mechanism") and I love using him to talk to people in Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition. I think it's funny that is influence stat is the same as the Millionaire character when he's clearly so much more washed up by comparison. Must be that winning charisma...

I also think it's interesting that he's mainly into adventuring "for the money" which is such a singularly bad idea. Investigators almost always end up more crippled and poorer than they started - throwing it all away to try and buy humanity a little more time. Bob thinks he's going to find some treasure, like he's in a fantasy novel. He's pretty much the definition of "wrong genre savvy" and I find it to be an interesting dynamic.

As a side note, I think Charlie Kane would make an excellent Seeker-class character in the card game. I could see him being in the same vein as Marie Lambeau, except he would pull Ally cards level 0-5 instead of Spell cards. I imagine his special ability being a +1 Ally slot (as I'm pretty sure that's him on the "Charisma" card) with his Elder Sign pull letting him heal a point of damage or horror on one of his allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChristianDF wrote:
As near as I can tell, Jenny Barnes is the only Arkham Horror investigator to show up in every Arkham Horror Files game as playable, either through the base game or expansions:

-Arkham Horror
-Elder Sign
-Mansions of Madness
-Eldritch Horror
-Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition
-Arkham Horror: The Card Game

The only other characters who come close are Wendy Adams (who is only absent from Mansions of Madness 1st Edition, so she is tied with Jenny if you count both editions as the same game) and Ashcan Pete, who is not presently in Eldritch.

There are quite a few others up there, there's a whole raft of characters who've been in AH, EH, MoM1e, MoM2e, ES but not yet AHLCG:

Harvey Walters
Joe Diamond
Mandy Thompson
Monterey Jack
Sister Mary
Dexter Drake
Michael McGlen
Amanda Sharpe
Carolyn Fern
Darrell Simmons
Gloria Goldberg
Kate Winthrop
Vincent Lee

Of the original 48 AH investigators, EH is close to complete, with just 4 left, and when Omens of the Deep is released, it looks very likely that ES will be as well. Still lots of investigators left for MoM2e despite all the 1e investigators being released immediately, another 22 remain. And for AHLCG, there's still 37 to go.

Then there's the 4 new ones from MoM2e which haven't yet made their way into any other.

I'll submit a little spreadsheet to the files section which shows all investigators and which releases they've been a part of, it should be approved within a couple of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
msg tools
Hellicon wrote:
There are quite a few others up there, there's a whole raft of characters who've been in AH, EH, MoM1e, MoM2e, ES but not yet AHLCG:

Harvey Walters
Joe Diamond
Mandy Thompson
Monterey Jack
Sister Mary
Dexter Drake
Michael McGlen
Amanda Sharpe
Carolyn Fern
Darrell Simmons
Gloria Goldberg
Kate Winthrop
Vincent Lee

Of the original 48 AH investigators, EH is close to complete, with just 4 left, and when Omens of the Deep is released, it looks very likely that ES will be as well. Still lots of investigators left for MoM2e despite all the 1e investigators being released immediately, another 22 remain. And for AHLCG, there's still 37 to go.

You're correct! The ones I mentioned were only the ones that are currently represented in the card game, but the investigators from the base game of Arkham Horror board game make a lot of appearances in the other games. All of them are in the first Mansions of Madness (and by extension, the second edition as well, thanks to the conversion kit) as well as the base Elder Sign game. They were scattered throughout several expansions for Eldritch Horror, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the last few of them pop up in another expansion...

A spreadsheet would definitely be handy for someone who likes playing the same character over and over. I know a lot of players like that.

I wonder if ultimately every investigator will be in every game (barring Mansions of Madness first edition, since that seems to no longer be getting expansions). Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror get a lot of characters dropped on them at once (with 8-investigator expansions) but Mansions of Madness Second Edition moves much slower now, with its first non-conversion expansion adding only two investigators. Arkham Horror: The Card Game so far adds 5 investigators per cycle (not counting the Marie Lambeau promotion, since she's set to appear in a future cycle) but it's possible they may change that up at some point since the current total investigator number isn't divisible by 5. The Arkham Horror Files book includes the 4 characters added to Mansions of Madness that weren't in the original Arkham Horror board game, so I think they're to be considered as well.

If they make Preston Fairmont, the millionaire, as an investigator for the card game, he'd have to be swimming in resources...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.