Steven Desmond
United Kingdom
Sawbridgeworth
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These just arrived in the post so I thought I'd add a photo here. There have been some players mentioning that they didn't like the tokens and wanted alternatives (dice/apps/whatever). These might be preferable for some.
They're plastic-coated (don't expect USPCC/NPCC linen stock) but are decent and perfectly suited to use in this game. There are 44 cards so exactly the same makeup as the tokens in the Core Set.

Shown on the Gol-Goroth playmat (artist: Greg Bobrowski) that arrived with them. Apologies for the slightly blurry image, this phone isn't the best!

http://pandapostgaming.com/products/arkham-horror

(edited to get the photo into landscape so easier to see)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wardle
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look nice. Do you shuffle after every draw or create a discard pile so you can roughly tell what is left in the deck and therefore prepare yourself in advance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Tackett
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
plpompey wrote:
Those look nice. Do you shuffle after every draw or create a discard pile so you can roughly tell what is left in the deck and therefore prepare yourself in advance?

You would have to reshuffle after every draw, so as to emulate the chaos bag. Sleeving would be a necessity with this option.

I personally sleeved the chaos tokens with coin capsules. Probably a cheaper option, and it gives a nice weight and sound to the chaos bag now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Desmond
United Kingdom
Sawbridgeworth
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I now have 3 variations of the Chaos Bag:
the cardboard tokens encased in 26mm coin capsules
the playing cards shown above
engraved skulls from etsy (waiting for delivery on these) https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/510229155/arkham-horror-lcg-...

That should keep everyone I play with happy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik O'Rourke
Ireland
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
personally, i think everyone who hates the chaos bag needs to shut up about it and stop crying about the tokens.

but, zombie *drools these are absolutely amazing. want. need. must have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Desmond
United Kingdom
Sawbridgeworth
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thought I'd start with a standalone Carnevale of Horrors. First card drawn by Wendy is a weakness, first attempt at a Chaos Deck draw by Roland is a -6... hoping my Chaos Deck will become luckier the more I use it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are beautifully designed, but shuffling for each chaos pull (especially when pulling multiple in a row) seems a bit unwieldy. Chit pull is a heavily used randomization mechanism in boardgaming (including the original AH), I wonder why it seems to be so divisive in AH:LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
Because LCG's main player base is card players who don't care about the shuffling, while tokens are somewhat strange to them as they might not be boardgamers.

I personally have never played a game that uses a chaos bag before and it really feels odd. I'm using an app during my solo sesions, but I might try the token deck for multiplayer.

The other investigators can shuffle the deck while the active one is deciding what to do, and then make them choose a random card (instead of drawing the first one) to mimic the "you are responsible for your fate" feel of the chaos back some like; similar to what we do with INT claim in AGoT LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Bazinet
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
We use a D16 from Blood Bowl (we play on easy)since we prefer rolling a die to getting a token from the bag

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Tackett
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
While I understand the desire to roll dice and draw cards, it doesn't evoke the same feeling (for me) as drawing from the bag. The designers have stated that drawing the token (and encounter cards) gives a level of responsibility to the player. It's entirely the player's fault that they drew the auto-fail, whereas rolling a die can put the "blame" on that mechanism instead.

I'm all for people doing whatever they want, but just thought I'd re-enforce the reasoning behind the chaos bag and why I think it's so great.

In the end, it's just a game (and a co-op/solo one at that). So play with one core, two cores, custom difficulties (easier or harder), and do whatever you want to do to have an enjoyable experience, because that's really what it's all about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, rolling the dice somewhat confounds some abilities (such as the ones where you can draw multiple tiles and pick the best/worst result).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.