Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good day everyone... this is directed at all those, that have finished the game and may contain major spoilers. So, if you haven't played or finished the case you may want to leave now in order to avoid getting spoiled.

I wanted to know what everybody thinks about this new scenario ? It may only be me but my expectations were really high and after playing the game three times now and having finished, i am not only a little but really underwhelmed.

There is no clear path, or storyline in this case. At least we did not find any... no puzzles, no "thinking outside the box"... for us it felt like it was only "go there, get this, then go there, get this" and in the end knock out the boss and leave...

I hope the next scenario will be more challenging and innovative...

What are your thoughts ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Lucchi
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Full Disclosure: I'm a Cthulhu Mythos addict.

It's very linear (but also very short, so we didn't mind that, had it been longer it would have been an issue). We enjoyed it, mostly because of the few things that force you to act in odd ways: insanity cards, item 2, location 666 (which we didn't open and the curiosity is driving us insane ). Overall, because of those few elements, it's one of the scenarios we enjoyed the most, despite the lack of puzzles and a more intricate storyline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, that you didn't have to go through location 666... i had to. whistle Not recommended.

We are absolutely not into anything Chtulhu and maybe that is why this scenario did not click with us...

The oddities were a nice touch but nothing that you hadn't encountered elswehere... Don't remember where it was but in once scenario (think it was behind the mask) one person wasn't allowed to speak for a while whithout letting other people know that he was not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Lucchi
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brettner wrote:
Cool, that you didn't have to go through location 666... i had to. whistle Not recommended.

We are absolutely not into anything Chtulhu and maybe that is why this scenario did not click with us...

The oddities were a nice touch but nothing that you hadn't encountered elswehere... Don't remember where it was but in once scenario (think it was behind the mask) one person wasn't allowed to speak for a while whithout letting other people know that he was not allowed.

More than the theme (I have my fair share of Cthulhu games so I don't really need one more to be happy, or insane ) what we liked the most is that they approached in another way the interaction between players (in a different way than in Under the Mask or A Prophecy of Dragons where a couple of cards didn't allow you to speak), making us doubt about the agenda of one one or more of us (mostly via item 2 and the card you can see only if you are insane); for the first time there was the real danger that one of us could be working against the team, instilling a sense of paranoia, amplified by the insanity cards.
Maybe we were overly impressed by those few things, every group has it's own dynamics while playing the game (which is one of the things I love about it), so I guess what for a group is very good to another may fall flat. I totally agree with you on the points you make, it's just that we were able to go past that because of the dynamics that those cards developed between us playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is, at this point, my groups favorite Scenario (and we played all of them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, tastes vary and that is good ! We liked the scenario the least from all so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like, although hated it at the time, that they reduced the time for the scenario. I was like wt? It's impossible to do in that short of time!

Then after we realized a few things, it made sense and I thought it was a nice touch.

The game didn't have the puzzles we love to much, but we do seem to be getting better at staying away from things that look menacing/not relevant.

Still love going to new locations and watching the story unfold and speculating what's going on, what our objective is, who we should interact with and why.

A solid expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Wood
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest innovation of Expedition Endurance is the fresh take on mission scoring objectives.
My biggest let down in the game so far is Under the Mask's horrible score breakdown
In Under the Mask, a single run to complete it is mathematically improbable, but then it is also easy to break the S rank by setting up a massive point swing on run 2.
Just make the scoring start at Run 2 and make point swings matter less for a tighter score experience!
Expedition Endurance makes me want a new score card for Under the Mask so much...

As for playing, we loved it.
I'm not a fan of the setting, but I think this one is my favourite.
Taking it slow and experiencing everything is way better than trying to steam roll to the end.
Actively trying for 'negative' modifiers makes the game better!
Having a character than cannot have 'negative' modifiers, and other players trying to avoid them as well, can lead to a very clinical feeling game.

My only gripe is that it really needed ONE MORE Optional Puzzle to get a type of Item curiously missing from this scenario, though a card does reference it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Steurich
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was part of a group that finished it last night. My prior experience is only with the very first core adventure.

Highpoints:
- the borrowing from THE THING (terrific movie)
- loosely At the Mountains of Madness- based theme, which I think is one of the better Cthulhu Mythos tales
- Going further back in time after the first run and seeing the locations before a more serious freeze
- the dog character. Liked its drawbacks; thematic

Lowpoints:
- getting points for "soothing' the two crew. How are the players supposed to know that is worth points? During the introduction cards, Bob states that we aren't supposed to intervene with the failed expedititon, that it is supposed to fail. So we didn't think to help the people out for points.
- the plane sabotage. A crappy way to end a run.
- the entire adventure felt short and the story felt lacking, like nothing really happened and there wasn't any discovery or mystery.
- confusion around the professor's assistant. One of the players was also the professor's assistant so clue reference's confused me
- overall minimal clue gathering. The investigation felt rushed and the clues themselves were rather blah.

Overall: I had fun, I like the game. I jest expected a little more grandiosity with the subject matter. Though using the historical expedition as a setting was great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the mountain of madness theme is pretty much overused. Expected a more refreshing use of the antarctica. All in all a short, solid game. What I didnt understand, why did they write on the mission failure card You can keep the map cards after you were running out of time, but not simply using the blue icon which means this card stays in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldron wrote:
I thought the mountain of madness theme is pretty much overused. Expected a more refreshing use of the antarctica. All in all a short, solid game. What I didnt understand, why did they write on the mission failure card You can keep the map cards after you were running out of time, but not simply using the blue icon which means this card stays in play?

This is exactly the same question we had. Can someone with another language version confirm that this is intentional and not a translation error. I'm just curious why one could just move to the known locations and skip the key in later runs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Ludwigsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion you are not supposed to keep the map cards that are ITEM cards! We read it that way, that you take the items with the agency icon (= item 2) and the plan cards (the four cards with the starting locations) with you in the next run. We put all other map cards in the stack of the item cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Skinner
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what exactly happened?

Who is the guy lying dead in the boiler room?

Who slept on the second bed in the captain's room?

Who was eaten by the dogs? Why was the shotgun there covered in blood?

Do we know how the green slime got in the kennels?

Who wrote the journal?

In general, what is the story? I do have hypotheses for these questions, but I'm interested to hear others' thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
I love time stories but we are a little disappointed by this scenario.
It starts amazing
with the first run being the wrong time
but after that it felt too easy and straight forward. Almost no puzzles, no twists, not really scary or even exciting, too many unanswered questions...
We needed three runs, same as with the Marcy Case but in not even half the time.
And the ending was the biggest problem for us, there is
no debriefing!
Overall the setting is great and gives hints of things to come, but it feels a little bit wasted and short. We hope that it is directly connected to the next scenario and after playing both it will feel more satisfying. But for the same price and with the waiting period till the release of the next scenario in mind that seems not the best decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Saenger
msg tools
Very very very disappointed. Me and my girlfriend played every scenario so far and this is the weakest. By far. Except the beginning, no suprises and a really uninspired ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmine Migliore
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me and my girlfriend it's the weakest scenario by far. Our expectations were really high as we both missed TIME stories but both would have preferred waiting a bit longer but having a good experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold Jakubowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoilers ahead!

The Scenario seemed short, containd just one memory puzzle and had simple plot but... it does extremely well at adapting Lovecraft stories. A lot of cards that you keep from one another, weird insanity effects, the sens of hoplessness (you die horribly at the beginning, you are told that the expedition is supposed not to be sucessful etc.) - all of it spells doom.

And it does two more great things - put you in the same place twice but in different time, and doesn't make to redo the same locations 3-4 times. We managed to do it in two runs (the first short and cold one and then the proper one with use of a +3TU beacon) and didn't have to go through a single location twice. And this redoing locations is a TS flaw a lot of people were complaining about.

Could have been longer, more sofisticated, but still managed to be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Corbett
United Kingdom
Walsall
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I quite enjoy the theme. I especially like going back in time to see how everything got to be where it was when you started the run.
I played this with my sister and the theme really shone through. My sister's one character got Item 2 and I didn't know either to thrust them or not. Going insane was difficult and a really good feature also.
But one thing that I felt let it down a bit was for two players it was difficult to play.
Item 2 was there to add paranoia to the group. Not allowing you to say anything but also not doing anything significant. The problem was it didn't tell you much either. Me and sis play time stories as two player, two characters each, and only having one character get this item meant that she was still invested in the group to win as a whole.
So when the time came and their was green goo that she could go to, she didn't. I felt that she got cheated on the experience because of this.
It slightly worries me if a traitor option does come into play in time stories in future scenarios. (mini-rant over).
That being said, I liked the scenario, it wasn't the best, but I actually believe this would have been a better core scenario. It gives you a few twists and turns but they aren't overly complicated like the Arkham scenario puzzle and it still gets you to the end scenario even if you cant solve the picture memory game (using the key).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abygael Vimes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played through it and we were a bit disappointed at how short the scenario was (it took us less than 2 hours where the rest took us about 2.5 hours each or a little more) and how abrupt and not that difficult the ending was.

We did like the gimmick at the start, since that properly uses the whole "time travel" idea. The lack of puzzles was disappointing though.

To answer some questions up-thread...

We think the body in the boiler was one of the characters you don't choose at the start. Also loved playing the dog. We think the journal was written by the professor's other assistant (not the female one you can choose to play as -- the kid you see at the end), which at least made it handy when it was referring to "she" since there was only one other woman: the journalist.

Another thing that seemed overly harsh was
if you awakened the monolith you died for losing just one heart. On the other hand, I got to go through 666 and get an overarching clue, but still.

Like someone else said regarding Item 2:
My husband had it (and we play 2 characters each) and didn't want to go near the green goo in the final setting so we sent the dog since it can't go insane. But that goo would've given him super powers (not that we needed them) and I think the Item 2 card should've said something like "you HAVE to go to any green glowy things" instead of just being attracted to them.

Overall ranking of scenarios:

1. Under the Mask / Prophecy of Dragons (equal first, we like them for different reasons)
3. Asylum
4. Expedition Endurance
5. Marcy Case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Junker
United States
Emeryville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We were, overall, pretty disappointed in this one. Others have hit on the big flaws. The complete lack of any puzzles were probably our biggest gripe, but the very linear story that felt like it had us on rails is a close second. This is also the one that suffers the most if you're trying to go at it with two players. The secret information just doesn't work when you're controlling two characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ryder
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were very disappointed. We managed to complete it on the second run with over 10 TU left, we didn't go crazy (didn't get to see the insanity deck), we didn't die (didn't get to see location 666), we didn't find Item 2, and still got a score of 0 due to the arbitrary and counter-intuitive scoring. No puzzles, no story, just a linear 6-7 step romp to the end in less than a couple hours...

Bob was late, hurried and stressed on this one, indeed...

Favourites for reference:
1. Prophecy of Dragons
2. Under the Mask
3. Marcy Case
4. Asylum
5. Endurance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim lathrop

Oklahoma
msg tools
played it this weekend and my group I enjoyed it. took us some time but we also calmed the girl that was about to blow her brains out each time to sneak a peak at a card. we skipped the captian the second time due to bad rolls. I do wish that they had some locked map locations like the other games so I was disappointed in that. I had a very good idea when I saw insanity that it was going to be a cuthulu theme. one of our played did fall off the bridge and he got to see 666, but the group as a whole refused to look at the location maybe to save some suspense. repairing the plane was a bit annoying because at the time we had 12 TUs left. Also disappointed that there was not much overall story in this one felt alot like marcy case in that retrospect. Marcy also did not incorpate the overall story. the only story that we got was that laura was not there because she was looking for data cubes. Coolest part of the game was the very beginning where you where going to die no matter what you did. Overall, I think it was a solid addition my personal favorites are.

Asylum
Marcy
Endurance
Under the mask
Prophacy

I have high hopes for the knights templer themed one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rudolph
Canada
Langdon
Alberta
flag msg tools
GIR, quickly, ride the pig!
badge
Yaaaaaay! I don't know what you just said!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I were really disappointed with this one. There were some great ideas in here that were just never really utilized. The module was too short, too easy, and offered almost nothing in the way of puzzles; nothing required any sort of thought. This seems to have been the trend for most of the modules they've put out so far. We're dying to see something more like the ones found in Asylum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat as others. There was a lot that I really liked about this one, but much of it didn't play out for us which leads to mild disappointment. I would rank it in the middle of the stories so far. I like the story and ideas they implemented but just felt like they didn't play out for us as intended.

My favourite idea here is the "false start" and being able to visit the same locations in two different times. It really added a lot to the atmosphere and stakes of the story and I hope they implement this in a future story and make it part of a larger puzzle.

The insanity cards were also a really cool idea. However, there wasn't enough of a push I felt to drive players insane. Which means, like others, we didn't have anyone actually go insane and never got to experience how these would really play out. I'd be interested to hear from players who did go insane, maybe a few times, to see how they felt about this mechanism.

The game is definitely more straightforward than most of the others with no real puzzles to solve and arguably, not really much combat either. You will finish this in 2 runs max which means it is the shortest of them all. This may also have the fewest tests to pass of all the games. I didn't mind these things so much, but the game just ends with no debriefing. That really makes it feel anti-climactic once you do win.

Finally, there is a misprint in two of the locations. This is discussed in another thread but the result is that the game seems to be setting up a red herring to waste time, but due to the misprint you are actually pointed directly where you are supposed to go. Not game breaking, but disappointing this would happen, especially considering how this was delayed seemingly forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmstoic wrote:

Lowpoints:
- getting points for "soothing' the two crew. How are the players supposed to know that is worth points? During the introduction cards, Bob states that we aren't supposed to intervene with the failed expedititon, that it is supposed to fail. So we didn't think to help the people out for points.

Technically, Bob says that the plan for the expedition is X and that history says they failed to accomplish X...and you shouldn't change that. So "soothing" the crew is a totally different thing and does nothing to change the fact it is a failed expedition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.