Port Royal: Ein Auftrag geht noch...» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wholesaler and Frigate Foe / Galleon Foe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
When I have a red / black Wholesaler (from Port Royal Unterwegs!), trade with a red / black ship and decline its coins for a Frigate Foe / Galleon Foe Contract, do I still get to place the ship under my Wholesaler for an additional victory point?

The rules for Wholesaler say:
"Whenever a player trades with a Ship of the same color as one of his Wholesalers (i.e. he takes the coins)", he gets the ship / VP under his Wholesaler.

In case of Frigate Foe / Galleon Foe, he did trade with the ship, but didn't take the coins. So is the part in brackets (taking coins) mandatory or is it just an explanation for Port Royal newbies (the target audience of Unterwegs) what "trading with a Ship" actually means?

I am leaning towards the latter interpretation and thus tend to answer my initial question with "yes". But I could see the decision go both ways, the published rules don't really seem to be clear on this.

So an official ruling would be much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! I would say you can't do this, but I would like to see an official ruling on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darador wrote:
When I have a red / black Wholesaler (from Port Royal Unterwegs!), trade with a red / black ship and decline its coins for a Frigate Foe / Galleon Foe Contract, do I still get to place the ship under my Wholesaler for an additional victory point?

The rules for Wholesaler say:
"Whenever a player trades with a Ship of the same color as one of his Wholesalers (i.e. he takes the coins)", he gets the ship / VP under his Wholesaler.

In case of Frigate Foe / Galleon Foe, he did trade with the ship, but didn't take the coins. So is the part in brackets (taking coins) mandatory or is it just an explanation for Port Royal newbies (the target audience of Unterwegs) what "trading with a Ship" actually means?

I am leaning towards the latter interpretation and thus tend to answer my initial question with "yes". But I could see the decision go both ways, the published rules don't really seem to be clear on this.

So an official ruling would be much appreciated!

I've not got unterwegs, but I'd say if you aren't taking the coins, then you're not trading with it, but I'm sure the designer will give you a definitive answer as he's quite active on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
I've not got unterwegs, but I'd say if you aren't taking the coins, then you're not trading with it, but I'm sure the designer will give you a definitive answer as he's quite active on here.

According to the wording of the rules for Frigate Foe, you are trading with the ship even if you don't take the coins:
"If you trade with a Frigate and decline the coins (including those from
a matching Trader), [...]"

By the way, the fact that the rules for Frigate Foe mention that you don't get the coin for a Trader (Händler in German) doesn't seem to be any help for the question at hand regarding the Wholesaler (Großhändler in German). A Trader increases the number of coins you get when trading with a ship, so it makes sense that the total is still decreased to zero when declining the coins for Frigate Foe / Galleon Foe. Besides, it seems clear that you can use the ability of a matching Clerk (Kontorist in German) when placing a cube for Frigate Foe / Galleon Foe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The official answer is YES. Spending an "action" for taking the ship is enough, no matter how much money you earn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.