Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Just curious what folks thoughts are on whether or not it is worth spending the extra money to get the deluxe version versus just getting the retail version.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed at deluxe level mostly because I'm something of a completionist, but I have yet to play with any of the expansions.

IMO, if you weren't in the KS I'd just get the retail version and see how much you like it. The expansions will be available (and one already is I think) on the BGG store, and I don't know what the price point is that you are looking at but IMO the expansion content is the only thing worth getting deluxe for.

The extra components are nice but IMO unnecessary. It was a good deal during the campaign but I wouldn't be surprised if it's cheaper now to just get retail and the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Early consensus seems to be that Monuments and Guild Halls are fantastic, but Events are crappy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Macleod
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions are great especially Monuments and guilds, events are just ok they are a little weak I wish they were a little harsher or had ongoing effects. The box and the organisation in the deluxe edition is amazing if you don't mind spending the extra cash it is well worth it. The game is excellent to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach P
msg tools
All of the expansions add on more adventurers which i think helps the game tremendously.

I haven't actually played with events so I can't talk about that. The adventurers that come with it are pretty good though.

Guild halls is good- adds another way to get more points and can make things more interesting especially in 3+ player as people really pay attention to who grabbed what guildhall and then trying to prevent them from getting those types of buildings.

I'd like to echo that monuments adds a great new piece and is definitely worth getting. It makes developing more important later on, makes low vp and weak ability adventurers more important, puts more money back into the economy and allows for different types of engines.

The expansions add variety and different choices to the game that make it more fun and interesting. I was a deluxe backer and think that getting all of the expansions is worth it for variety of adventurers alone. All in all - I would recommend getting deluxe. the guild halls and monuments together. The rapid recruit adventurers with the guild halls couples really well with the monuments. If you like those and the events seems interesting then get that one as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried the expansions yet, but I'd say the deluxe version is worth it just for the increased size and dividers, but I'm an organizing freak. I also sleeved my cards and I doubt they would fit in a smaller box, but I couldn't say for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses. I ended up getting the deluxe edition from the publishers' website for a decent price. It came with all the KS stuff and the first two expansions (monuments and guild halls) which seem to be the ones everyone recommends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like guilds two player, events are ok, monuments are interesting and add more timing choices.

Awesome game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speshul wrote:
I don't like guilds two player, events are ok, monuments are interesting and add more timing choices.

Awesome game

Is there a reason you don't like Guilds w/ 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the expansions designed to be used piecemeal, or only if you include the whole expansion?

Like, Events comes with eight Event cards and four Adventurers. Do the Adventurers only work if you're using the Events, or can I just shuffle the Adventurers in regardless?

From a quick flick through there's an Adventurer in Monuments who'd be worthless if you're not playing with Monuments, so maybe it's intended that you only use stuff together.

Also, what setup would people recommend for a first game? Base game only, or include expansion content?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
Are the expansions designed to be used piecemeal, or only if you include the whole expansion?

Like, Events comes with eight Event cards and four Adventurers. Do the Adventurers only work if you're using the Events, or can I just shuffle the Adventurers in regardless?

From a quick flick through there's an Adventurer in Monuments who'd be worthless if you're not playing with Monuments, so maybe it's intended that you only use stuff together.

Also, what setup would people recommend for a first game? Base game only, or include expansion content?

Some Adventurers do draw their power from the expansions they are included with, but some do not. Really it's just designed to give you more versatility. You can mix and match whatever Adventurers you want.

For first game, I'd recommend base content only, like with most games. Then mix in things as you feel appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoffman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The deluxe box is great. Plenty of room for everything (incl current expansions) in sleeves (using Ultra Pro Deck Protector) with dividers -- and room for a few more small expansions. One of my peeves is KS games with lovely, high quality boxes that end up unusable when the cards are sleeved. Not the case here.

We haven't had a chance to play the expansions yet, although I'm already craving more Adventurers and gameplay wrinkles (e.g., Monuments). Even in a 2p game, 16 Adventurers quickly feels like not enough variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group plays with all of the expansions (and all of the events, not just 4) and we absolutely love it! We want more! Villages is the ultimate evolution of the san juan style game for me, I may even sell Race for the Galaxy, because none of us have any desire to play it anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.