Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Can anybody suggest a printer which can either duplex print or scan using registration marks (or something similar) onto mountboard.

I want to be able to print counter images for double-sided counters with good accuracy on both sides so that when cut out, they are pretty much ready to go.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You are looking for a printer like this:

or this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Bottom one looks a bit extreme. Top one looks tray fed, will that work with thicker paper (implies rollers turning the paper in the machine)..

Any model numbers?
ta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
In order to achieve what you want in the way you want it, you'll be looking at some very expensive machinery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
stuuk wrote:
Bottom one looks a bit extreme. Top one looks tray fed, will that work with thicker paper (implies rollers turning the paper in the machine)..

Any model numbers?
ta

I think Charles was asking if you're looking for a "printer" that is a device you will own, or if you're looking for a "printer" that is a company where they will print things for you.

Based on your answer, I expect it's A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
stuuk wrote:

Any model numbers?
ta

I think Charles was asking if you're looking for a "printer" that is a device you will own, or if you're looking for a "printer" that is a company where they will print things for you.

Based on your answer, I expect it's A.

In which case I can only imagine you would be asking this if you were a print shop, which I don't think you are because you are asking in the wrong place.

Quick answer to the OP: No / Expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To make your own double sided counters you have to print them and carefully align and glue them yourself to a cardboard sheet and then punch them, or pay a manfacturing service for a considerable quantity if you want them ready and easy without getting your hands dirty.

I don't think there's any affordable and automatic solution that can print them perfecly aligned on both sides of a thick medium, you need some pretty specialized (and big) machines to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes machinery was the answer.
Seems there isn't any short of becoming a print shop then.

Thanks

I currently make counters by printing onto label sheets then sticking them manually and then cutting it (by hand at the moment but i could use an automated cutter) but the biggest pain is the aligning on both sides really, to which there doesn't seem to be an easy answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not order a few online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
stuuk wrote:
Yes machinery was the answer.
Seems there isn't any short of becoming a print shop then.

Thanks

I currently make counters by printing onto label sheets then sticking them manually and then cutting it (by hand at the moment but i could use an automated cutter) but the biggest pain is the aligning on both sides really, to which there doesn't seem to be an easy answer.

Ok, this how I would do it with the equipment I have. i.e. Colour laser printer & heavy duty manual guillotine. All done on A4 because it's the cheapest and easiest to get hold of.

Print both sides on separate sheet of labels each with a horizontal and vertical reference line printed top and side (opposite sides for back and front labels.) Cut the lines with a craft knife and align them to the top and right of your mount board. Cut out using guillotine.

If you want round tokens then that would mean looking into die cutting (expensive.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yep that's what I do, I was just hoping there might be an affordable printer which could do the job and take some of the manual line-up out of the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
stuuk wrote:
Yep that's what I do, I was just hoping there might be an affordable printer which could do the job and take some of the manual line-up out of the process.

Bought a printer last year after doing some research into what card they could handle etc. I concluded that when it came to media on thick card then label was best. If you examine some of your games you'll see that the pros seem to stick labels on too. Probably massive sheet labels though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes you're right. I looked at some GMT counter this morning and it's clearly 3 layers. 2 top layers (front and back) of photo quality paper and a middle layer of board. Something similar to mountboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Double-sided aligned front and back printing.... my method:

1. Use full-sheet label sticker
2. Front is printed on top half, Back is printed on bottom half
3. Fold printed sheet in half
4. Remove sticker backing
5. Wrap sticker around half-sheet of mountboard
6. Cut / Punch out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stuuk wrote:
Yes you're right. I looked at some GMT counter this morning and it's clearly 3 layers. 2 top layers (front and back) of photo quality paper and a middle layer of board. Something similar to mountboard.

Yes that's how commercial boardgames do it, the boards and tokens are printed on a big sheet of paper, and then a machine aligns and glues them on both sides of a greyboard slab before cutting, they're not printed directly over the board.

There are a few good documentaries about german game manfacturing that are worth looking at. Apart from being interesting in general as a hobbyist, even if you don't have access to any of these machines you can still get a few ideas to make your own home or small-run projects more durable and look a bit more professional.

It's also surprising how many tasks are still made by hand in these factories.

There was another video I can't find at the moment where they showed the details of producing wooden components (including meeples) and at one point are actually "cooked" in pots with coloured inks so they get into the wood and don't chip or peel easily from the surface, don't remember the name on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.