Subject: Find gate - I don't get it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get how to play the new spell "find gate", nor do I get what the benefit of it is. (OK, maybe there are some benefits on the back, but not when played.)

First things first:
"Play with the top Gate of the Gate stack revealed"
What does this mean?
Where is the card now? At the gate? Where? What does it do there?

Any help appreciated.
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The top gate in the stack of gate tokens is face up at all times. (At least until you lose the glamour)

It's pretty cool when Kate is in play. She can try to make it to the space and prevent the opening of the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do exactly what the card tells you to do. Take the top Gate on the Gate Stack and turn it face up. The spell card stays where it was. Now you always know what the next Gate is. Seems like a reasonable benefit to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pethulhu wrote:
I don't get how to play the new spell "find gate", nor do I get what the benefit of it is. (OK, maybe there are some benefits on the back, but not when played.)

First things first:
What does this mean?

Any help appreciated.
Thank you

What "card" are you referring to exactly? The spell card? Why should it move somewhere?
Remember: There is a section in the new Dreamlands rules concerning "revealing gates in the gate stack"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pethulhu wrote:

First things first:
What does this mean?

Any help appreciated.
Thank you

I don't have the expansion so haven't seen the card myself, but if that's the text word for word (presumably it's a Glamour, and has a "Reckoning: Test lore and flip this card" part as well?) then it means you should turn the top gate of the gate stack face-up.

It means that you can see where the next gate will appear at all times (except for possibly between drawing the last Gate from the stack and shuffling the discard pile together to form a new stack when you need to draw again), but has no other effect on gameplay.

Hope that helps - if there's other text on the card either post it here or someone who actually has the expansion can correct me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would also be useful when an A.O's reckoning effect is bad if you are on a space with a gate. You can avoid the space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
It would also be useful when an A.O's reckoning effect is bad if you are on a space with a gate. You can avoid the space.

Not particularly. Reckonings resolve before spawning gates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this: Gloria + Kate

I TRASHED Atlach Nacha last game with this combo. Gloria's find gate allowed Kate to know which gates were spawning and where she needed to be to stop them.

When a reckoning occured,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the back of Gloria's spell had a 2+ effect that allowed you to spend 1 sanity to move an investigator to the space of the top revealed gate... and since reckonings ALWAYS occur before gate openings, this meant that EVERY gate triggered from a yellow mythos was shut before it opened because we just had Kate teleport to it RIGHT before it did.

Now, luckily Gloria had met Randolph Carter already and was sporting a +2 lore bonus, but man was that combo a home run for me in that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all
It is clear now.
I as a non native speaker read the text as:
"play (the card) with the top gate ... revealed" and the rest made no sense grammatically speaking. ( I thought I had to put the spell card with a gate somehow)
and not as
"play (the game) with the top gate ... revealed"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's important to note that for this spell, despite being a glamour spell, as much of it's potential benefits are from the reckoning effects as from the front of the card... depending on rolls, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Haven't had this one come up yet, but it sounds like one of the better glamour spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sthill46 wrote:
Haven't had this one come up yet, but it sounds like one of the better glamour spells.

They've been improving, overall, since the first set. Now, I wish that they would go back and redo the first set so that they're worth having.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.