Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Dewald
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing this numerous times with unsatisfied results as Naboo without a single win, I devised the following variant, which really is a mash of other proposed variants.

1. Anakin does not stop until is blocked by droids. So moving from one sector to the next has no effect on delaying Anakin's travel.

2. Token is placed on sector to denote empty spot if blocked by droid. This adds little to probability of passing while for me adds a lot thematically and helps prevent Anakin stall late in the game which seems to be one of the weak points for Anakin as suggested elsewhere. This also helps feel like you did something and did not waste an Anakin card play.

I simulated this setup several times and though still is random seems to require 8-14 Anakin card plays which feels right to me. Like I said before TF won every single game because Anakin just couldn't get through.

Let me know your thoughts. I would probably play original rules if I wanted to give Naboo a handicap. Also no change has been made to Starfighter cards. The numbers given above assume all starfighter cards have been played before Anakin goes through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Watson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry you've had bad luck with the Anakin track - I know from experience how frustrating it can be when the Chosen One is repeatedly stymied by poor rolls.

Technically, every time there's a failed Anakin roll, he's been stopped by droid fighters. The grids printed on the board represent droids, too, not just the cards that the Trade Fed player can place as added defense.

Unfortunately I'm not quite visualizing how your proposed change works, but if the play of an Anakin card can just move him through any sector without a card played on it, that is going to greatly affect the TF player's strategy. The TF will have to get fighter cards out quickly or face a possible early loss. Removing that element of choice from a player's decision seems contrary to the one of the game's best features. What's great about the game is having to make those tough decisions about what area to focus on when deciding what cards to play for your turn.

While I certainly won't dispute your experience with the game, it's been mine that this is an extremely well-balanced and usually tight and tense game. I've played it well over 100 times since it came out, and wins by both sides seem about even. Based on that, I'm not seeing the need to modify the game as you're suggesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Dewald
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorW wrote:
Sorry you've had bad luck with the Anakin track - I know from experience how frustrating it can be when the Chosen One is repeatedly stymied by poor rolls.

Glad you can relate

DoctorW wrote:
Technically, every time there's a failed Anakin roll, he's been stopped by droid fighters. The grids printed on the board represent droids, too, not just the cards that the Trade Fed player can place as added defense.

I may have been misleading. Yes I count the printed spaces as droids too and Anakin still has to roll to pass onto the next grid. The change is merely he doesn't need to stop rolling.

DoctorW wrote:
Unfortunately I'm not quite visualizing how your proposed change works, but if the play of an Anakin card can just move him through any sector without a card played on it, that is going to greatly affect the TF player's strategy. The TF will have to get fighter cards out quickly or face a possible early loss. Removing that element of choice from a player's decision seems contrary to the one of the game's best features. What's great about the game is having to make those tough decisions about what area to focus on when deciding what cards to play for your turn.

As stated above, Anakin still rolls. Maybe I havent played enough but if anything I think it creates more of a choice for TF. As it stands I always feel like there are several turns before there is any pressure for TF to play starfighter cards.

DoctorW wrote:
While I certainly won't dispute your experience with the game, it's been mine that this is an extremely well-balanced and usually tight and tense game. I've played it well over 100 times since it came out, and wins by both sides seem about even. Based on that, I'm not seeing the need to modify the game as you're suggesting.

Unfortunately my experience with the game is less than a dozen plays though I don't know if I'll ever have 100. Really what this boils down to for me and others I've played with is Anakin track is just too frustrating. There are times where multiple Anakin card plays result in nothing happening and it can be frustrating especially for a new player. Unlike other games with dice, it feel like I'm hoping the dice don't roll as they statistically should. I love the tactical choices in the other three areas of battle. This is the only portion of the game keeping it from being a top tier game for me.

TLR My experience is too heavily weighted to TF. In my half a dozen plays TF wins every time because Anakin just can't seem to get through. It has lots its fun factor since as Naboo I just feel like whether or not I win is predicated on me rolling a 10-12 on two dice. This is an attempt to breathe new life into the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Weesner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played six times and won once as the Naboo player and it was because I was able to get Anakin to the generator. Even with that said, it's my favorite game because the tension is so high, in every single game. The ebb and flow is astounding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.