flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
...as requested here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1566008#1566008

Here ya go!

My mother-in-law has made the following several times as a non-meat alternative and it is very, very good. Sort of a meatless-loaf. Very good especially with a gravy (which I don't have the recipe for at hand).

Cheers,
David

Here is the recipe;

4 c. Special K cereal

1/2 c. Celery-diced (lg. stalk)

1 c. Cheese (Cheddar or Colby tastes best)

1 c. Pecan meal

1 med. onion-diced

1/2 Green pepper-optional

1/4 c. Veg. oil

3 Eggs beaten

1 tsp. basil

1 tsp. salt

1 can cream of mushroom or celery soup

mix - bake 350 degrees 45-50 min 13 X 9 in. greased pan

HAPPY BAKING!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to see pictures! But well, thanks - I might actually try this out
Ciao,
Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Zopper-Alf wrote:
I want to see pictures! But well, thanks - I might actually try this out
Ciao,
Simon

Sorry no pictures handy... As a consolation prize here is my colleague's recipe for home made granola bars.

I happen to have several colleagues who are vegetarian so I had these recipes handy in my email. Easy copy and paste

Granola bars 1.5 8/21/05

Dry Ingredients
1 cup rolled multigrain (or rolled oats)
1/4 cup 7-grain cereal
1 cup smartstart cereal (crushed)
1/2 cup grape nuts cereal
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup cracked wheat

1/2+ cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots (1/4” pieces)

mix the above in a large bowl or pot

(start preheat oven to 400deg now)

Wet Ingredients
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup malt extract
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup sesame oil
Cream the liquids in a bowl
(if the liquid is too solid, add a tsp or so of applesauce)

Pour liquid into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix thoroughly – make sure everything is coated.

grease/spray Pam 13x17 pan, spread in mixture
put wax paper over mix, use roller to even, then use a 9x9 pan to compress evenly. (I use a pyrex pan and hammer the mixture flat) This should wind up about ½” thick.
bake at 400 for about 17 min; turn off oven (should be light brown around the edges and raisins puffed)
The thickness detemines how long to bake – if you wind up with less than ½”, leave in for maybe 14 minutes.
leave in cooling oven; door open, for 5 min. (optional ;-)
take out, let cool on rack for about 10-15 min
cut into bars with a pizza cutter. This works best when the bars are still warm.
let cool completely before removing from pan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Vegetarian Recipies
Wow, this is great! Thanks Van! I host game night at my house every third week of the month, and I like to serve up some food too even though I don't have to. The guys bring chips 'n dips, but I like to have other fare there too.

Since a couple members are either vegetarian or near-vegetarian, I try to come up with a tasty dish that will work for them too. It's been an interesting challenge... Chips, salsas and cheese dips are classic, but often overdone, so I've tried other things.

I did brownies a couple times, but I don't like to eat sweets too late. And I did the classic veggies-and-dip offering too.

One recipe I tried that went over very, very well (several members asked for the recipe, which is always a good sign), was this slow cooked mushroom spread I found in one of my crockpot cookbooks. I modified it slightly, and I've included my modifications in this recipe here:

Thyme-Scented Duxelles Crostini
From Fresh From The Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson

“The first time I made duxelles (a slowly cooked mixture or mushrooms, shallots, and herbs) I wondered if all that stirring would he worth the trouble; after all, it was only mushrooms. Once I had my first taste, however, I was hooked. When you make them in a slow cooker, you have the best or both worlds—great tasting duxelles and the freedom to do something else while the mushrooms gently cook unattended. If you don't use all the duxelles for crostini, use the rest in sauces, stews, or stuffings or to make a great mushroom risotto. Properly stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, the duxelles mixture will keep for up to a week.”

Slow Cooker Size: 4 quart
Cook Time: 6 to 8 hours
Setting: Low
Makes about 2 1/2 cups

1/4 cup olive oil
3 medium-size shallots, minced (or one medium onion, minced)
2 pounds white mushrooms, stems trimmed and wiped clean
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup regular or tofu cream cheese
3 tablespoons dry white wine

For serving:
1 loaf French bread, cut into rounds and toasted
Or use crackers, like Triscuits

1. EITHER: Place the oil and shallots in a 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and turn the setting to High to soften the shallots while you prepare the mushrooms. OR: Put half the oil and the shallots (or onions) in a frypan set on medium heat, cover it and sweat the shallots for 5-7 minutes until they soften. Place the softened shallots and the rest of the oil in the show cooker and prepare the mushrooms as follows.

2. Using a food processor or by hand, coarsely chop the mushrooms. Add them to the slow cooker and turn the setting to Low. Cover and cook until the mushrooms are very soft, 6 to 8 hours.

3. After the mushrooms are cooked, strain the excess mushroom liquid into a bowl and reserve for use in another recipe.

4. Transfer the mushroom mixture to a bowl OR a food processor, add the thyme, salt, and pepper, and stir OR pulse to combine. Add the cream cheese and wine and stir OR process until blended. Taste to adjust the seasonings.

5. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. When ready to serve, spread the duxelles mixture onto the toasted bread rounds. Alternatively, you may put the duxelles mixture in a bowl and allow guests to spread it on the toasted bread themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.