Subject: Finding a venue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Meleti
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys

I like to meet up with friends for games about once a week, however one of the challenges is finding a venue (when none of our own places are free). Hobby stores tend to close early (9pm ish).

So just wondering if you guys can provide any good recommendations or pointers for brainstorming a venue? (that's free of course)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Sweden
flag msg tools
Perhaps you could reach out to schools and ask if they have any rooms you could use during evenings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Private room in a library?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Roberts
United Kingdom
Burton On Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Sysop of "Big Bang Burger Bar" Forum (www.bigbangburgerbar.co.uk)
badge
Organiser of "Raiders of the Game Cupboard" (www.raidersofthegamecupboard.co.uk)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very unlikely you will find a venue, other than someone's house, that is truly "free".

Pubs or café's, if they don't charge for the space, will at least expect a fair amount of purchasing drink/food whilst you occupy their tables.

You might find a club or group running in a local College or University but again times may be restricted.

You could look up local community centres or halls, though again these may charge for use.

Other than that it is always worth talking to proprietors of places with suitable space to see if you can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement. This may depend on how many you are or could attract.

It is also worth talking to the Hobby store owners, if they see the potential for additional sales through customer loyalty for them opening a bit later.

At the end of the day it never hurts to ask the worst is they say no or give you a cost to make it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I expect schools will charge.

joe_salamone wrote:
Private room in a library?

Libraries are the best bet for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the groups I attend uses a Canadian Legion (for veterans) which closes at 10. The one we use now is free, we just buy sodas and beer from the bar.

The other groups I belong to uses a church hall. The group has 2 "keyholders" who rotate opening up/closing up and we play from 6pm-11pm (but can close later). I'm not sure how it was found but it works out great. We pay a $30/night fee which comes out of a $2.50 charge with excess/shortfalls going to/coming from a game library fund.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have such things as social clubs? We meet in one called the royal British legion (not sure if this phenomenon exists outside of the UK lol), and the plus is extra cheap drinks! They charge each person £1 entry but you also get the added bonus of a couple of regulars sitting down the other end looking at us wondering why we are invading them lol.

Schools or community centres are generally cheap to hire out too. Some pubs will do game evenings too and give you a corner/section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oridyne wrote:
You might find a club or group running in a local College or University but again times may be restricted.

The student union building where I've played lets us stay until midnight.

A library where I've also played lets the gamers stay after the library itself has closed. The gamers have to leave at 11pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
A gaming buddy told me that he had an RPG group that would meet at a local fast food place that had a separated meeting area. The only thing the manager asked was that every participant bought a meal (and it came with free drink refills).

Perhaps if you found a local establishment, asked when their slower evenings were, and agree on a day. The place gets your group's business and you have a place to gather.

Wish you luck in finding a place. I know it can be tough sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well my place is what we use.

But, for another gaming group I go to from time to time, they use the food court at a local University, It's open long hours and has good access. Plus, might bring n new blood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamecomponents wrote:
Perhaps you could reach out to schools and ask if they have any rooms you could use during evenings?

Depending on what kind of school. A high school will be an instant no go. A college seems like just a matter of looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.