Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Gamer Curator
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know what the Extension Kit is for in the pledge manager?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Brown
msg tools
mb
Just came on wondering the same thing. I'm guessing it's about playing multiple games at once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
people asked for the option to play with 5-6 players.
This kit basically adds some of the generic pieces to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b e
msg tools
asgorn wrote:

To expand on this a bit, JIC a thread visitor isn't completely familiar with the rules yet, in order to even conceivably play with 5 or 6 players (which isn't even officially sanctioned yet) you'd need additional, Omphalos, Omphalos cards and Art of War cards. So as noted that's exactly what this kit is intended to provide.

It's only $5 and not a KS exclusive, so unless you are already detailing how you plan to house rule a 5 or 6 player game it probably doesn't make much sense to pre-order the extension at this time. IMHO.

Keep that $5 in your pocket or for the opportunists out there invest in the KS exclusive clips and then resell them for a likely profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Nguyen
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Also to add to the conversation, many people during the campaign figured out that since the game came with so many figures that they could have multiple games going at once. The only issue was the number of Art of War cards since those are only provided in the core box.

So now you can run 2 games at the same time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prufrock

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
icelt wrote:
asgorn wrote:

To expand on this a bit, JIC a thread visitor isn't completely familiar with the rules yet, in order to even conceivably play with 5 or 6 players (which isn't even officially sanctioned yet) you'd need additional, Omphalos, Omphalos cards and Art of War cards. So as noted that's exactly what this kit is intended to provide.

It's only $5 and not a KS exclusive, so unless you are already detailing how you plan to house rule a 5 or 6 player game it probably doesn't make much sense to pre-order the extension at this time. IMHO.

Keep that $5 in your pocket or for the opportunists out there invest in the KS exclusive clips and then resell them for a likely profit.

Given the amount of components it's not even so much that you may be wanting to run a 5-6 person game, but it's very easy to actually run 2 4 player games at the same time. The extension kit was the last thing necessary to run two separate boards at the same time [I plan to be hosting 8-12 players in two to three 4 player free for all skirmishes personally]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b e
msg tools
ke1den wrote:
Also to add to the conversation, many people during the campaign figured out that since the game came with so many figures that they could have multiple games going at once. The only issue was the number of Art of War cards since those are only provided in the core box.

So now you can run 2 games at the same time!

JavertPrufrock wrote:
icelt wrote:
asgorn wrote:

Given the amount of components it's not even so much that you may be wanting to run a 5-6 person game, but it's very easy to actually run 2 4 player games at the same time. The extension kit was the last thing necessary to run two separate boards at the same time [I plan to be hosting 8-12 players in two to three 4 player free for all skirmishes personally]

Both excellent points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in the end it's a question if you see yourself trying some creative way of running a game with more than the designed max of 4.

given the rest of the costs, in particular since it probably concerns mainly people with a few addons, the 5$ isn't that much of an extra expense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So with the extension, you have 15+6=21 omphalos, and 54+12=66 art of war cards. So is that enough for a 6-player game? For two 4-player games? More? I don't have a good feel for how many of each resource is needed.

Judging from the setup section, it looks like you need three omphalos per "side" plus one (with the game ending when one side collects a fourth omphalos), so 21 sounds like enough for a 6-player free-for-all (19), two 3-player free-for-alls (20), or up to three 2-sided games regardless of player count (21). Is that about right?

For art of war cards, there is more variation; the amount needs depends on number of players (base 3 each) and gods/heroes chosen (0-3? each). Is two heroes (maybe three weak ones) just about the practical limit? So perhaps up to 10 or so per player? Then again, that assumes hero-heavy builds, so fewer would be needed for builds using fewer heroes.

Does that sound about right? (Note that I haven't actually played a demo or PnP; I'm just making guesses based on reading through the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Lo
msg tools
mbmb
I posted this in the kickstarter site.
It really depends on the per player's army size and composition. These are the important information:
1. The FAQ said that there are 54 Art of War cards in the core box.
2. The expansion kit add 12.
3. From the rule book "A player’s initial hand is made up of the 3 art of war cards from the supply" For 6 players game, you need 3*6 = 18 art of war cards for the initial hands.
With only the core box 54 cards, you will have 36 cards left, and that mean each player can have around 6 cards on average for recruitment. Gods takes 1-3 cards, and that means you have 4 cards left for your remaining heroes and monsters.
Summary - for a six player game, with only core box, each player will have 1 god, and maybe 2 heroes or monsters that use up to 4 art of war cards. If you get 1 kit, then you have around 6 art of war card per players. I think if you are playing 8 recruitment points per player in a 6 players game, then 1 kit maybe enough. If you are playing 12 recruitment points per player, then you will need 2 kits.
I created this spreadsheet to see how many AoW card each unit uses.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mejoha-l6HeLVBnZY3ZA...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So to clarify, would 2 kits only be enough for 6 players? So in essence it's one kit per extra player?

If we want to run two 4 player games simultaneously it would be 4 extra kits needed for the 8 total players?

Edit: Just got this message from Monolith:

"I would said 4-5 kits, depending on what the player are drafting."

So yep, it's one kit per extra player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cinos wrote:
So to clarify, would 2 kits only be enough for 6 players? So in essence it's one kit per extra player?

If we want to run two 4 player games simultaneously it would be 4 extra kits needed for the 8 total players?

Edit: Just got this message from Monolith:

"I would said 4-5 kits, depending on what the player are drafting."

So yep, it's one kit per extra player.

given that the modes >4 aren't well defined in terms of RP sets etc, a simple max calculation:

Maximum number of AoW cards depending on Player count:

Max_Req_AoW = 3x NumberofPlayers + 81
(81= total sum of AoW cards in a one of everything selection)

Maximum extension kits depending on player count:

Max_Req_Kits = (Max_Req_AoW - 54) / 12
= 0.25*p + 2.25

6 player: 3.75
8 player: 4.25
etc
That's basically the calculation for n players and drawing units until there aren't any left ignoring the RP limits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien
France
flag msg tools
mb
When I look at Alvin's spreadshit, I see that if every unit in core box + stretch goals are recruited, they would by themselves ask 45 AoW cards. Actually not more than 43 AoW cards since you can't recruit more than 8 gods/titans with 8 players. If you add the 3 starting AoW per player, you would need 3*8+43=67 AoW cards. Base + 2 extension kits provide 54 + 12x2 = 78 AoW cards. You would have 11 AoW cards left. You could still add all Hera units and be left with 1 AoW unused (you still can't recruit more than 8 gods).

AoW cards needed by units in each box :
Core box + SG = 45
Rise of the titants : 3
Echidna's Children : 0
Corinthia : 0
Hera : 11
Poseidon : 4
Hephaestus : 5
Oedipus vs. The Sphinx : 1
Manticore : 0
Hell Judges : 3
Heroes of The Trojan War : 9
Ketos : 0

TOTAL : 81

I feel pretty safe with two extension kits to play two 4 player games for almost every situations. In the extremely rare cases where I would lack a few AoW cards, I would be okay to replace them with activation cards from units that haven't been recruited (and maybe slip some paper inside the sleeve to make them easily recognizable). Spending 5 more dollars for such unlikely situations doesn't seem necessary.

TLDR : With 2 extension kits, you could play 2 four player games recruiting all units (with the restriction of 1 god per player) from core box + SG + Hera, and still have at least 1 AoW card unused. 2 extension kits seem more than enough, and you could still use activation cards from unused units for extra AoW cards in the extremely rare situations where you would need more of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd need closer to five or six 2+ player games if you wanted to use all (or nearly all) of the miniatures. I don't think the boards are build to connect, and there are stacking limits on the boards. The map that I looked at (Olympus) had a maximum capacity of 88 models, if my quick counted was correct, and that's assuming you packed the entire map with no room to maneuver. I would think a more practical limit would be around 30-40 models per board (dividing among the players), which would mean you'd want to use all six boards -- so six games, assuming they don't combine sufficiently well.

I have to say, this may be the first game I've ever seen that allows you (with a couple of fairly inexpensive extensions) to reasonably be able to run a small tournament with a single copy of the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Burmeister
msg tools
Using 1 Typhon bundle and therefore only one of each unit (except Circe and Achilles who can be used in two different games), the most AoW cards needed:

4 Players (14 RP): 47 AoW cards
2x2 Players (18 RP): 56 AoW cards
5 Players (14 RP): 56 AoW cards
6 Players (14 RP): 64 AoW cards

2x3 Players (16 RP): 70 AoW cards
3x2 Players (18 RP): 76 AoW cards

2x4 Players (14 RP): 80 AoW cards
3x3 Players (16 RP): 94 AoW cards
3x4 Players (14 RP): 108 AoW cards

There are 54 in the base game, and 12 in the extension kit.
The Typhon bundle gives you 66. Add 1 more extension kit and you get 78.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought 4 player was much less recruitment points than 14 (something like 8)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb

Nashville
Tennessee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they changed the way Gods are recruited. Originally, they were free, now most are 6 RP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burmeister wrote:
Using 1 Typhon bundle and therefore only one of each unit (except Circe and Achilles who can be used in two different games), the most AoW cards needed:

4 Players (14 RP): 47 AoW cards
2x2 Players (18 RP): 56 AoW cards
5 Players (14 RP): 56 AoW cards
6 Players (14 RP): 64 AoW cards

2x3 Players (16 RP): 70 AoW cards
3x2 Players (18 RP): 76 AoW cards

2x4 Players (14 RP): 80 AoW cards
3x3 Players (16 RP): 94 AoW cards
3x4 Players (14 RP): 108 AoW cards

There are 54 in the base game, and 12 in the extension kit.
The Typhon bundle gives you 66. Add 1 more extension kit and you get 78.

Thanks for this. Very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ehren Woods
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mine came with black bordered cards instead of the boarderless cards like the rest. I’m dessapointed that they don’t match each other. Poor design choice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Biggio
msg tools
Mine came with black borders too. I was very disappointed especially since the rest of the game looks so good.

The official response as of now was given on the Kickstarter Comment Sections as: "The black borders are just a way of sorting them out again when you need to. The backs are identical so they play just the same and can be mixed in with the others."

I really love this game, and the guys who made it, but I can't understand this decision at all. Why would I want to sort them out anyway?
But whatever, it doesnt's break the game and I can still play it. Just an awkward decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythic Battles: Pantheon – Extension Kit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.