Locomotive Werks» Forums » General

Subject: What influence does the tax have? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mattias Svanstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only just looked at the rules for this game and played a couple of rounds by myself. I'm looking forward to trying it out soon. However, the paying of taxes got me thinking - it's a little bit clunky and I can't really see what difference it makes. Sure, it decreases the lead for the leader, but my feeling is that the effect is quite small. On the other hand, if it really didn't add anything to the game, I assume it would have been taken out. So maybe I'm missing something.

Any opinions on the tax?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't play test the game or anything, but in thinking about it, I could see it coming down to a timing issue for the end game. It would ensure you travel enough around the board for "more meaningful" decisions to transpire.

Now you have me wondering if that's the real reason or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It isn't small. Really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's income in every turn. You invest your money to get bigger income, but you immediately have less money because of that.

The tax hurts players that want to just coast to the finish line with their current income: you have to keep working a bit harder with the investments than you would have if there was no tax.

(at least that much I gathered after one match, there could be other effects)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Svanstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still can't quite visualize that it would do something other than affect everyone more or less the same.

Ah well, maybe I'll see it after my first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It encourages you to buy new capacity, because money in production capacity is untaxed. Only actual money is taxed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Integer wrote:
I still can't quite visualize that it would do something other than affect everyone more or less the same.

Ah well, maybe I'll see it after my first game.

It would affect more heavily the player that doesn't invest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tax adds a highly tactical element: it's much better to be in 2nd place by $1 than to be in 1st place by $1. This makes going later in the turn valuable, since you can see what the critical thresholds are to pay less tax (and force someone else to pay more.)

Whether this is a feature you like or not depends on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.