Hide
10 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: 2 players ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Purkiss
msg tools
How have you found the game with 2 players (controlling 1 character each)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Decker
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Tremendous fun. It's not bad honestly as long as your a little bit more focused on helping each other as you don't have four characters that could be exhausted before you fail a scenario.

It's great, super awesome game. My wife and I play every day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with two and with four. Both are excellent. No complaints either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard. Have lost scenario 1 two times in a row now with Brute/Spellweaver, and yet 3 player Tink-Mind-Crag was pretty easy for us?

What gives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sydney Shuster
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it with 2 players only and haven't lost a scenario or exhausted a player yet. But we weren't handed those victories! My husband and I play the Brute and the Tinkerer. It seems like the number of monsters aren't anything we can't handle as long as we are conservative with our card use and play strategically. We go slowly and plot out strategies, talking through and discussing different potential outcomes. And we don't play with open knowledge! In that way, it's one of the most truly cooperative 2 player games we've played. No one is quarterbacking, everyone feels powerful, and everyone is invested in how the other person is doing. We love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
btw. is it possible, if I play with 2 most games, but on some games we might have friend around, is he able to join as 3rd? Or will he be gimped, since we leveled in meantime and got maybe better cards, and he would have weaker charachter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Watson
Australia
Galston
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfORnot wrote:
btw. is it possible, if I play with 2 most games, but on some games we might have friend around, is he able to join as 3rd? Or will he be gimped, since we leveled in meantime and got maybe better cards, and he would have weaker charachter?

It should be fine. He'll be a little bit weaker, but he'll also reduce the average party level which may make a scenario easier (lower level monsters).
He'll get to level up "for free" if you improve Gloomhaven's prosperity, so he won't be too far behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfORnot wrote:

The game design is very flexible this way. You can have characters drop in and out no problems, parties can reform, multiple parties can exist (you need some bookkeeping if you overlap character classes, so it's easier if you don't).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
Hard. Have lost scenario 1 two times in a row now with Brute/Spellweaver, and yet 3 player Tink-Mind-Crag was pretty easy for us?

What gives?

I think this comes down to each class having a few things they do really well, and certain scenarios don't always line up with those specialties.

When you add 3rd/4th person it give the group a bit more breadth to handle different challenges.

It also evens things out a bit with the modifier cards. With only two players, a couple of big +2 or 2x shots from an enemy can devastate an entire turn, and then it's right back in the deck.

Granted, the flipside of that is with 2 players a few big modifier hits against the enemies can wipe out an entire room of monsters, instead of needing the whole group to get lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you feel you are missing anything playing 2 characters instead of 4?

My partner and I are looking at doing Scoundrel + Brute, but potentially adding Spellweaver + Cragheart (after we've run through a couple scenarios to get the hang of things).

I sort of wanted to start with the Cragheart anyway, but I think the Scoundrel benefits from having more players around.

From the sounds of things, it doesn't make the game too easy to have perfect knowledge of what both of your characters will do, if you're controlling 2 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.