Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are moving down an exploration tile, if you are "next" to another dragonrider (in the same row), and there is another dragonrider in the space directly below you, can you still move down a row, hopping diagonally down into the free space?

Or are you blocked by the rider below you?

The rules say, "a player may... move their Dragonrider down one level to an empty space below the current position of the Dragonrider."

This, combined with the seemingly exclusive arrows on the card, makes me think that you can only move down to the space immediately below.

But later it says, "If there is no free action Space in the row below, a Dragonrider may not be moved down."

By referring to the entire row below, rather than the one space, it sounds like you can move into either one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
When you are moving down an exploration tile, if you are "next" to another dragonrider (in the same row), and there is another dragonrider in the space directly below you, can you still move down a row, hopping diagonally down into the free space?

Or are you blocked by the rider below you?

The rules say, "a player may... move their Dragonrider down one level to an empty space below the current position of the Dragonrider."

This, combined with the seemingly exclusive arrows on the card, makes me think that you can only move down to the space immediately below.

But later it says, "If there is no free action Space in the row below, a Dragonrider may not be moved down."

By referring to the entire row below, rather than the one space, it sounds like you can move into either one.

The first rule says "below the current position [vertically]". It did not say the single action space directly below your current position. It could technically go either way. But, like you said, the other rule about not being able to go down if there is no free space in the level you want to go to, really seals the deal.

Given that, I say that you can move down as long as there is any free space in the row you are moving to. It also checks out with the idea of racing to explore and having +1 exploration dragon abilities. They wouldn't be very exciting races if only the first two entrants could ever do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
They wouldn't be very exciting races if only the first two entrants could ever do anything.

I guess it would otherwise be a more "tactical" race, where the first movers have an advantage unless one of them falls too far behind, leaving a spot open for someone to pull up from behind. But I like it better if they can jockey for position with more freedom. It would be hard for a flying dragon to completely block another, faster dragon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.