Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Can you imagine what this game's about by looking at the pieces and the board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
So I'd like to hear from the general crowd on this one. I'm designing a game, and I wanted to check how well my piece and board design reflect the rules. So, if I didn't tell you the rules of this game, what'd you imagine it's about? Feel free to talk among yourselves - remember there're no wrong answers

Revision 2

Everyone, thank you. Your feedback has been invaluable! Using your feedback, I've revised my game to better reflect its rules. If you're new to this thread, please comment on these board and pieces. If you've already replied, please feel free to do so again!

The board (click to enlarge):

White's game tiles (obviously not to scale, the octagon tile fits into a square on the board, and the diamond tiles fit into the corners):

Black's game tiles:

Thank you for your opinions, I look forward to hearing more of them!

----------------------
Previous version:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Pieces:

Board:

Sorry for the mediocre artistry, but hopefully it gets the idea across. I threw this together in 20 minutes in Gimp cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a tank with a rotating turret. So I imagine your turn would be spent moving the tank to a new hex, rotating the turret to point in a different direction, and/or shooting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel_L wrote:
Looks like a tank with a rotating turret. So I imagine your turn would be spent moving the tank to a new hex, rotating the turret to point in a different direction, and/or shooting.

That was my first thought as well.

Large Piece = tank
Smaller Pieces = turret(s)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly, it's Mickey Mouse Chess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickles2000 wrote:
So I'd like to hear from the general crowd on this one. I'm designing a game, and I wanted to check how well my piece and board design reflect the rules. So, if I didn't tell you the rules of this game, what'd you imagine it's about? Feel free to talk among yourselves.

Pieces:

Board:

Sorry for the mediocre artistry, but hopefully it gets the idea across. I threw this together in 20 minutes in Gimp

Connection game
Two kinds of pieces:
Octagons
Squares

Likely the goal is to connect your sides (white to white, black to black).

Probably plays like
Twixt
Hex
or other similar 'connect opposite sides' abstracts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thematically, I'd guess you're building a network of buildings on Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Snowless11 wrote:

Interesting, what about it makes you think of Mars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pickles2000 wrote:
Snowless11 wrote:

Interesting, what about it makes you think of Mars?

The orange background and the fact that in sci-fi, Mars' colonization often includes big dome structures. And, since there's no air, it would have to an entirely enclosed area, ergo the network connected by tunnels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smiley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks like the game ADAPTOID by nestorgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was that it looks like one of those room/furniture layout simulation programs. So maybe you're trying to find the optimal table/chair setup in a banquet room?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octopus dancing on a parquet floor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Dickey
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Pickles2000 wrote:
So I'd like to hear from the general crowd on this one. I'm designing a game, and I wanted to check how well my piece and board design reflect the rules. So, if I didn't tell you the rules of this game, what'd you imagine it's about? Feel free to talk among yourselves.

Pieces:

Board:

Sorry for the mediocre artistry, but hopefully it gets the idea across. I threw this together in 20 minutes in Gimp

Connection game
Two kinds of pieces:
Octagons
Squares

Likely the goal is to connect your sides (white to white, black to black).

Probably plays like
Twixt
Hex
or other similar 'connect opposite sides' abstracts

This was exactly my thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
My first thought was that it looks like one of those room/furniture layout simulation programs. So maybe you're trying to find the optimal table/chair setup in a banquet room?

Weird, that was my first thought too.

Clearly it's a game where you're a wedding planner who is trying to satisfy the nonsensical demands of a mad Bridezilla. You need the right table settings, you can't put drunk uncle Joe within 2 tables of weird cousin Mike because they had a fight 8 years ago at another wedding, etc etc.

For some strange reason, she's hired 4 wedding planners to each plan one quarter of the room at the reception, and for reasons unbeknown to anyone, she's given a partial list of demands to each person so you have to watch out and try to figure out what else is going to score (like in Troyes).

The planner who satisfies the most demands is the winner. If anyone does a bad enough job, the bride actually goes mental, assaults the planners with a croquembouche, gets arrested and everyone loses.

I'd play that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you are stealing Quax

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
flaquito wrote:

Weird, that was my first thought too.

Clearly it's a game where you're a wedding planner who is trying to satisfy the nonsensical demands of a mad Bridezilla. You need the right table settings, you can't put drunk uncle Joe within 2 tables of weird cousin Mike because they had a fight 8 years ago at another wedding, etc etc.

For some strange reason, she's hired 4 wedding planners to each plan one quarter of the room at the reception, and for reasons unbeknown to anyone, she's given a partial list of demands to each person so you have to watch out and try to figure out what else is going to score (like in Troyes).

The planner who satisfies the most demands is the winner. If anyone does a bad enough job, the bride actually goes mental, assaults the planners with a croquembouche, gets arrested and everyone loses.

I'd play that game.

I think someone actually designed that game in one of the 24 hour design competitions last year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickles2000 wrote:
So, if I didn't tell you the rules of this game, what'd you imagine it's about? Feel free to talk among yourselves - remember there're no wrong answers

Zombies?
Vikings?
Cthulhu?
Pirates?
Railroads?
Running a farm?
Zombies vs.Vikings?
Pirate farms?

It's definitely a coop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiling your bathroom?

Pete (is exhausted just thinking about it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Seems clearly a connection game indeed.

I hypothesize that the commenters who did not think of that are not frequent players of abstract strategy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing connection/networking game as well. I'll hazard a guess that the theme is neural networking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
It's definitely a coop.

True, it does resemble chicken wire a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going with Sarlacc pit Othello.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For an actual, sincere answer, it does look like some sort of abstract strategy connection game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Wassen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Cthulhu-worshipping Vikings building a train network on Mars. Legacy style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Building two competing computer networks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.