Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: Deducing Rising Sun Gameplay From Pictures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuda Kaizar
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to deduce Rising Sun's gameplay from the pictures (Disclaimer: these are just some deductions):

Rising Sun full map.
Top left is probably player order track "Honor". Player order probably changeable by playing certain cards/ choosing certain actions.
The top 4 boxes probably used to place 4 cards that can be bought/auctioned/actions available for each round/represent certain conditions for each game, setup early in the game (I see "Izanami", "Tsukyomi", "Hachiman"). Player can put their token on the card.
The 3|2|2 boxes separated by lines probably representing the 3 Ages (similar to Blood Rage) (I see "Marshalling" action card in the 1st spot)
For each province, symbols in the ovals represent units, coin & "point" (rising sun symbol) that each player who controls it will get/ harvest (similar to Cry Havoc, Game of Thrones)
The colored buildings represent home for each clan (Black: Koi Clan in Edo, Green: Turtle Clan in Oshu, Purple: Lotus Clan in Nagato, Yellow: Bonsai Clan in Kyushu)
No idea about the yellow-colored number tokens for each province.

Right bottom there are 8 numbered-boxes filled with small-size Japan map, probably missions available in every game, get points by completing them. 5 missions available in 3-players game, 6 for 4-players, 7 for 5-players & 8 for 6-players.
There are 7 stacks of different-colored cards (I see yellow, green, red, blue, brown) probably similar to Blood Rage cards.

Example of one of the clan player board with special ability. Koi Clan starts at Edo with 4 coins. 3 types of minis: Bushi, Shinto & Daimyo.
There's a place to put hostages from other clan (similar to Cry Havoc)

This is probably the heart of the game. The "bidding" system is quite similar to Cry Havoc. If 2 players are in the same province, they will use coins to put in each of the 4 options. Probably some cards can be played to change the result like in Cry Havoc. Coins are visible for each clan so they know how many coins each clan has. The WAR ADVANTAGES by resolution order are:
Seppuku: Kill ALL your figures. Gain "point" and honor for each figure.
Take Hostage: Take 1 hostage. Take 1 "point" from enemy.
Hire Ronin: Add your "unit" tokens to your force.
Imperial Poets: Gain "point" for EVERY figure killed.

The round tokens are placeholder for the monsters & gods minis: Yokai, Temple Dog, Oni of Skulls etc)
Each player will get an action board with 5 POLITICAL MANDATES available (similar to Blood Rage):
Harvest: ALL PLAYERS
Marshal: ALL PLAYERS
Training: ALL PLAYERS
Build: ALL PLAYERS Build one Stronghold in ANY province. It costs 3 coins.
Treachery: YOU ONLY
All political mandates except Treachery affect all players. Probably in each round player will choose 1 political mandate. There's a bonus (under the main text) only applicable to the player who selected the mandate (Similar to Puerto Rico)(Eg: Koi Clan special ability is to gain the bonus of every political mandate selected by another player, except treachery)

So I think here's how the game goes: New round - 1 action card revealed (eg: Marshaling) - Every player choose 1 political mandate. Mandate enacted according to Honor track - If 1 player move to a province with another player's token, battle resolved using war advantages board. Next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Determining the general rules from specific examples is induction, not deduction.

The more you know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scottie Mick
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow good job on this analysis! Even if it doesn't end up being exactly the same, I'm sure you're right about a good chunk of things!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Lock
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adammale wrote:

The WAR ADVANTAGES by resolution order are:

Committing seppuku before the battle starts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuda Kaizar
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thyren wrote:
adammale wrote:

They prefer killing themselves than being killed by enemy maybe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuda Kaizar
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottiewolfe wrote:
Wow good job on this analysis! Even if it doesn't end up being exactly the same, I'm sure you're right about a good chunk of things!

Thanks This is probably just the basic skeleton of the game. Like in Blood Rage, the cards are the most important element to keep the game going & I have no clue on any of the cards available in Rising Sun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Molina
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job. I can't wait to see more details about gameplay, but the game seems really elegant. I see why references to diplomacy have been made regarding this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
So you gain coins by controlling regions?
And you use as many in combat as you like?

I know the rules will contain the definite answer, but whats your take on it?

For me the biggest turnpoint could be how this combat works. I can see merit in the strategy being offered by this bid-like war.
But not if you have to juggle a global amount of coins between an unknown number of battles and who knows what across multiple turns.

No point in having a diceless combat if its even more unpredictable this way.

What I could imagine is that the total number of coins available for a given battle is determined by certain factors, for example amount of figures, type of figures, certain card effects etc. So you can actually plan with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adammale wrote:
No idea about the yellow-colored number tokens for each province.

I wonder if this is for order of resolution (perhaps for battles), similar to Chaos in the Old World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great. So much looking forward to the KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Dean has an explanation of the gameplay in this write-up: https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/a-hot-time-in-texas-pauls-v...

Which might supplement/change some of your inductions (by the way, I'm going to be using this correction a lot, so thanks Derek)

Quote:

Set in a fantasy-tinged version of feudal Japan, Rising Sun emphasises negotiation as much as conflict and, as you compete to be the most glorious of your peers, you have to consider not only how wealthy or how violent a clan you can lead, but also how honourable it is. Your clan’s honour determines the game’s turn order and, critically, acts as a tie-breaker in a game where the difference between success and failure can be very tight indeed. Battles are decided by secretly allocating resources to different actions beforehand, actions such as trying to defeat or capture your opponent’s troops, and in feudal Japan it seems it can be just as glorious and honourable to have your forces commit en masse ritual suicide as it is to have them fight. Wait, you can kill your own troops for points? Yes. Yes you can.

You might well have guessed that combining politics and honour leads to some interesting conundrums, too. While other games of negotiation and diplomacy might encourage timely treachery or opportunistic backstabbing, the substantial honour hit here makes such actions terribly, terribly costly. That’s not to say you can’t or shouldn’t be a jerk now and then, but you find yourself wondering if employing ninja in your next stratagem is worth the dishonour. The first impressions of Rising Sun suggest a game a lot more thoughtful and deliberate than Blood Rage, relying less on card drafting and more on both discussion and very, very careful deception. I present it with the Paul’s Game He is Most Curious About and Keen to See Again Award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Satoru Shimada
Japan
Chiba
flag msg tools
mb
This is a minor quibble, but my friend from Kyoto will be mad if he see the map. Honestly I can't stop laughing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Buckey
United States
Concord Twp
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thyren wrote:
adammale wrote:

From Wikipedia (if you believe that sort of thing ):

Quote:
Part of the samurai bushido honor code, seppuku was used either voluntarily by samurai to die with honor rather than fall into the hands of their enemies (and likely suffer torture) or as a form of capital punishment for samurai who had committed serious offenses, or performed because they had brought shame to themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I count 8 regions....with 6 players....there is only 2 empty regions to take control...the rest of the clans must immediately move into another players territory. Hhhmmmm seems like there isn't much choice in where to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Muller de Schongor
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the ship roads: do they need one turn/one unit to be used, which slow some encounterings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
some of this is outdated but good job ! There are some of them quite accurate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
And here I was thinking it took place in a house in New Orleans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.