Adrian Richardson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Listeners!
This week we hit 5,280 downloads! This is a special milestone for us since there are 5,280 ft in a mile and we are, in fact, the Mile High Game Guys! To celebrate we are going to be giving away a brand new copy of Portal Games great game Imperial Settlers! And there are soooo many easy ways for you to enter for your chance to win!

The easiest way is to listen to Episode 32, then come back and simply reply to this thread and tell us what you love about the show, what you don't love about the show, something you'd like to hear on the show, or maybe a game you'd like us to review. Boom. Done. Easy.

You can also jump over to our twitter, give us a follow and then tweet us something awesome and use the tag #MH5280 to get another entry! Boom. Easy.

Do the same things for our facebook and instagram and you can have even more chances to win!

The contest will run until 12pm Mountain on February 27th, at which time we will randomly select a winner and announce it on Episode 35 which airs March 1st. Good Luck and we can't wait to hear from you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Van de Casteele
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I enjoy the variety of games you mention and review. Adrian seems to be diving into the heavier stuff. I enjoy the bloody minute, even though I will probably never play. I'm just concerned that Adrian might leave and join the Heavy Cardboard podcast, then Zach and Jeff might be left with just a Terraforming Mars podcast...that actually might not be that bad.

I've enjoyed the weeks where you go back and look at older games. Maybe doing some top 5's or 10's based on some of the game mechanisms that you guys went over in the past. This would give an opportunity to talk a little about a wide variety of topics. It would give fans a chance to write in about their favorite games as well.

Keep up the good work. Hope I win since you kicked my butt in Imperial Settlers when I was up in Denver.

- Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikevande wrote:
Maybe doing some top 5's or 10's based on some of the game mechanisms that you guys went over in the past. This would give an opportunity to talk a little about a wide variety of topics. It would give fans a chance to write in about their favorite games as well.

Redemption/Vindication! I've been trying to push for that but they said there wouldn't be interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Van de Casteele
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zach - you're still good for that $20 you promised, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was already paypal'ed! Don't try and hustle me for more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Casarez

California
msg tools
Hey guys, I am a new listener. Have been listening for about a month now. You guys do a great job on your reviews and everything you talk about. Not sure if you guys have done a review of blood rage, kemet, or Orleans. But would love to hear it. Maybe you guys could do a segment about a certain topic related to gaming, kind of similar to The Secret Cabal's short topic extravaganza segment.Keep up the great work guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Richardson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyantsunami wrote:
mikevande wrote:
Maybe doing some top 5's or 10's based on some of the game mechanisms that you guys went over in the past. This would give an opportunity to talk a little about a wide variety of topics. It would give fans a chance to write in about their favorite games as well.

Redemption/Vindication! I've been trying to push for that but they said there wouldn't be interesting!

Considering how often we shoot each other's ideas down it is a wonder we can even record 30mins of audio at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Richardson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casarez234 wrote:
Hey guys, I am a new listener. Have been listening for about a month now. You guys do a great job on your reviews and everything you talk about. Not sure if you guys have done a review of blood rage, kemet, or Orleans. But would love to hear it. Maybe you guys could do a segment about a certain topic related to gaming, kind of similar to The Secret Cabal's short topic extravaganza segment.Keep up the great work guys!

Hey Justin,

Thanks for listening, we really appreciate it! We haven't covered any of those games yet, but Blood Rage in particular is one we've been looking at, Member we own but haven't played much. Orleans, unfortunately will have to wait until we get a copy. We are also working on an Inis review too that might interest you.

We occasionally do discussion topics, we just haven't had a chance to fit one in for a few episodes. Is there anything in particular you'd like to hear us talk about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Casarez

California
msg tools
How about tips on teaching a new game to people. I am pretty good at reading and getting rules to games, but feel I need to do a better job at teaching and helping other people get a handle on the rules as quick as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W

Arizona
msg tools
Two guys walk into a bar, the third one ducks!
badge
That's it, that's the whole joke.
mbmbmbmbmb
I dig the banter from episode to episode, but would prefer sticking more closely to board game related topics, you wander pretty far sometimes

It would be interesting to hear a "live play" of a short social deduction game. Similar to a reality TV show, whats happening, then asides with your thoughts and strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kocher
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Basically I love how you discuss so many games. Your chemistry as hosts is also very good which makes listening light on the ears and easy on the hart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Van de Casteele
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mister Matched wrote:
It would be interesting to hear a "live play" of a short social deduction game. Similar to a reality TV show, whats happening, then asides with your thoughts and strategies.

This would be fun! I think you should start with Win, Lose, Banana! Works great with 3 people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carapinha
msg tools
Just started listening to the podcast and i'm loving it so far. Great content and really entertaining. Keep up the amazing work and would love to see more giveaways like this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikevande wrote:
Mister Matched wrote:

This would be fun! I think you should start with Win, Lose, Banana! Works great with 3 people!

I will definitely be pushing for that in the next couple of episodes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mister Matched wrote:
I dig the banter from episode to episode, but would prefer sticking more closely to board game related topics, you wander pretty far sometimes

You have no idea Adrian probably cuts out 20-30 minutes of us usually going on bullshit tangents. I think one of the "problems" is that we talk to each other outside of the podcast in the very same way, with about as many digs on Adrian, and so it can be hard to stay on topic. We had originally planned for our banter section in the beginning to go 5, maybe 10 minutes, but it has easily ballooned to 25-30 before editing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Shearer
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
When it comes down to me listening to a podcast or not, usually the personalities and chemistry among the hosts are what I come back for. I'd have to say that the main reason I like your show. It also doesn't hurt that you guys are local and generally like similar games as myself. I wish I could make it to Wednesday nights, but with two (perhaps three) young kids it may be awhile. There is still hope though, our friends are adopting a 12 year old and with luck I can extort cheap babysitting.

Oh yeah as far as what I don't love about the show... Sportsball! I'm sure plenty of people like to hear about guys who get paid too much to run around in tights, but as a stereoblind person who goes outside as little as possible I'm not a fan. That's just me though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't bring myself to listen to an hour and a half. OTOH, I do like that you list a table of contents so that people can skip to sections of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuel Baptista
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Didn't know the show but liked it!! Would love to watch you review a portuguese game (not sure you didn't...): "Estoril: City of Spies" or "Lisboa". Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Richardson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casarez234 wrote:
How about tips on teaching a new game to people. I am pretty good at reading and getting rules to games, but feel I need to do a better job at teaching and helping other people get a handle on the rules as quick as possible.

Oooh, This is a really good idea Justin, thanks! Since we teach so many people games through our weekly gamenights we've gotten pretty good at it and could easily pass along a few of our tips and tricks!

Dumbide wrote:
Just started listening to the podcast and i'm loving it so far. Great content and really entertaining. Keep up the amazing work and would love to see more giveaways like this!

Thanks David! We're definitely planning on doing more giveaways in the future, so keep listening!

popsicola wrote:
When it comes down to me listening to a podcast or not, usually the personalities and chemistry among the hosts are what I come back for. I'd have to say that the main reason I like your show. It also doesn't hurt that you guys are local and generally like similar games as myself. I wish I could make it to Wednesday nights, but with two (perhaps three) young kids it may be awhile. There is still hope though, our friends are adopting a 12 year old and with luck I can extort cheap babysitting.

Oh yeah as far as what I don't love about the show... Sportsball! I'm sure plenty of people like to hear about guys who get paid too much to run around in tights, but as a stereoblind person who goes outside as little as possible I'm not a fan. That's just me though.

Thanks Eric, like Zach said in an earlier post, how we are on the show is more or less exactly how we talk to each other in our day-to-day lives, so I think that really helps it feel authentic. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your cheap babysitter plan to work out so you can come join us sometime soon!

And luckily for you, there shouldn't be much sportsball talk until the fall when the Broncos start back up. And even then, I'll try to keep it to a minimum since that is one of the more common things people say they don't especially care for.

ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
I can't bring myself to listen to an hour and a half. OTOH, I do like that you list a table of contents so that people can skip to sections of interest.

Just like sportsball above, the length of the show is another fairly common criticism we here, so we're currently working on a couple different options to shorten things up for you all without sacrificing content.

emanuelcb wrote:
Didn't know the show but liked it!! Would love to watch you review a portuguese game (not sure you didn't...): "Estoril: City of Spies" or "Lisboa". Keep up the good work!

If it were up to me we would review many, many, more Portuguese games! We have Gallerist on the schedule for early march, I'm cracking open Vinhos tonight, we just picked up Panamax, and I backed Lisboa, so hopefully those will all show up at some point as well as more things from great designers like Nuno, Paulo, and Vital!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Reid
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like how relaxed and conversational you guys are! Not too up tight and I would echo the compliment of lots of games that get talked about.

One critique is that maybe it would help if there was a bit more research done about the review game so the basic information is not forgotten. Whatever. Great podcast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Sheard
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great to know about y'all, a buddy sent me over here. I'm from south denver but living in another state currently. I think you should review concordia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Taylor
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I get a total 80's infomercial vibe from the intro music -- LOVE IT!

2. Constructive criticism point. When introducing games during the Banter section, it'd be helpful to give a brief minute (or less) overview of the game (i.e. objective and basic mechanics). For instance, in talking about Biblios in the most recent episode, all I got was that you were collecting books -- I think that mentioning that it's a card game, that there were two main phases, or how you manipulate the dice for scoring to improve you chances at winning would be a big help to people either new to the hobby or for those who have yet to play the game. Almost all of us on BGG are hardcore gamers and know a ton about even games we haven't played, but we can't forget about the newbies. Also, I'm sure there will always be a new listener who may have missed previous episodes and explanations you've given in the past.

3. Love the Kickstarter news. Most podcasts I listen to don't go into the current Kickstarter news like you do, and this is a huge plus for those of us that may have missed (or forgotten about) a currently running Kickstarter.

4. Also really like the focused reviews with the in-depth overview and analysis. It becomes a great repository for when it's decision time to buy a game that you've covered.

5. Really like the show notes with the time stamps and links. Can't tell you how great it is to click a link on the ol' phone and be brought to a Kickstarter or BGG listing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Marine
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your podcasts make for a more relaxing drive to/from work. I would prefer shows dedicated to a specific genre of class of games ... maybe top 10's ... but otherwise still informative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wynn
United States
Colton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the chemistry between all of you. A a great casual atmosphere. Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onuralp Çakır
Turkey
Ankara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You talk about so many games at the same time, it's really good because I always learn about some new games each episode. I don't normally listen too much podcast but I'm going to start listening when I go to work at the mornings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.