Subject: Mechanisms similar to Francis Drake? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Akshay Anand
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
The initial portion of the Francis Drake game looks really cool to me - going along a one way track, competing for specific resources/bonuses, before moving to a different game phase. Do any other games incorporate this? Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City seems the most similar.

Other games that come to mind as at least somewhat similar (that there's a planning/competition phase of some sort, followed by a separate and/or different sort of gameplay):

Yunnan
Vanuatu
Craftsmen - though my memory's vague on this one
Caylus - sort of?

You should also look at Dominant Species, just because.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Russell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deja vu!
This question was asked three days ago in General Gaming. Didn't get many responses.
Walnut Grove has a one way high street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Chua
Australia
Highett
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Glen More
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Western Trail?

You don't see many games with a "board" — a la Monopoly — in this hobby (that come to mind at the moment anyway).
I think that's one of the big draw cards of GWT; it's an old mechanic that feels new.

Edit: the point-to-point movement in GWT isn't about competing, as the buildings can be used by everyone, but the building placements and the choices with regards to speed are really neat and are a large part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to get, but Egizia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acklevoy wrote:
Great Western Trail?

You don't see many games with a "board" — a la Monopoly — in this hobby (that come to mind at the moment anyway).
I think that's one of the big draw cards of GWT; it's an old mechanic that feels new.

Edit: the point-to-point movement in GWT isn't about competing, as the buildings can be used by everyone, but the building placements and the choices with regards to speed are really neat and are a large part of the game.

You mean the neutral buildings can be used by everyone, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First half of Francis Drake is pretty much a straight rip of Egizia (though not as good). Second half is a bit of Aladdins Dragons. Drake is an amalgam of these two, and while I like it, I think the other two are better at what they are doing.

Sometimes less is more whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gen1400 wrote:
It's hard to get, but Egizia

I bought it years ago as I love Egyptian themed games...it is exactly like Francis Drake but I dig the theme wayyyy more.

meeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shock6822 wrote:
The initial portion of the Francis Drake game looks really cool to me - going along a one way track, competing for specific resources/bonuses,.....

Tutankhamen, although here, it's set collection, and not really a resource thing.

Shock6822 wrote:
..... before moving to a different game phase. Do any other games incorporate this? Thank you!
None I can think of that weren't already posted by others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.