Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex W8er
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep this one short.

Assuming the Marine is allowed to perform 1 Main Action:
1. Is it valid to move between 2 played Combat Shotgun cards?
2. Is it valid to play Bonus Action cards between 2 played CS cards?

I'm pretty sure the answers are
1. - yes
2. - no
but I'd like to know what you guys think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
PatientNo742 wrote:
I keep this one short.

Assuming the Marine is allowed to perform 1 Main Action:
1. Is it valid to move between 2 played Combat Shotgun cards?
2. Is it valid to play Bonus Action cards between 2 played CS cards?

I'm pretty sure the answers are
1. - yes
2. - no
but I'd like to know what you guys think.

Let's consult the rulebook

Combat Shotgun wrote:
After you resolve this card, you may play another Combat Shotgun card, treating its speed as '0'.

Emphasize mine. The wording implies the second card has to follow immediately after this one. And the parts from the rules I feel are relevant here:

RR, page 3, Action Cards wrote:
- To resolve an action card, a marine first gains movement points equal to the speed value printed on the card (if any). Then, he may perform the card’s attack and resolve its abilities as instructed.

- When a marine plays an action card, he must resolve the entire card before resolving any other action cards.

RR, page 15, Movement Points wrote:
A figure can spend movement points at any time during its activation, except during an attack, unless a card effect explicitly states otherwise.

Prior to this, I was under the impression you couldn't use Movement Points during resolvement of an action card, but the limitation seems to apply to attacks. Action card's resolvement (as quoted before) consists of applying Speed, performing Attack, and card abilities (which could provide extra attacks like the Lock-On Burst).

(this means that the marine's in our table just got stronger shake)

Looks like you're correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex W8er
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your quick and detailed answer.

At first I also thought that the Marine has to resolve every played CS card before he could move again (which I prefer), but after reading through the Movement Points section of the RR again I came to the same conclusion as you.

The question about Bonus Actions came up because the CS ability text lacks in the word 'immediately'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PatientNo742 wrote:
The question about Bonus Actions came up because the CS ability text lacks in the word 'immediately'.

Right, I see what you mean. I've assumed the word 'immediately' is implied in a lot of places. Especially since there are action cards' abilities that start with the words "During this activation, ...". (eg. Gauss Cannon's Siege Mode). And since other "After ..." abilities heavily imply the effect is immediate, eg. Rocket Launcher's Rocket Salvo's after-effect models the explosion's area-of-effect, and therefore is most likely immediate.

If I were to rewrite Combat Shotgun to allow other actions between copies of Shotgun Maneuver, I think I'd write it "During this activation, you may play another Combat Shotgun card, treating its speed as '0'.".

But this comment isn't based on super-hard evidence, more of an "educated gut feeling"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a minor question, but I might as well ask it here:

Can you chain all 3 Shotgun Maneuvers together in one Action? I've been playing it this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidryanandersson wrote:

Can you chain all 3 Shotgun Maneuvers together in one Action? I've been playing it this way.

Each Shotgun Maneuver is an Action Card. The consensus achieved in this thread (at least so far) is that the wording of Shotgun Maneuver requires you to play them immediately after the other (if you want to benefit from the "free action" part). No other Actions (main nor bonus) in between allowed..

But! Also found out in this thread that you can spend movement points to move between the actual attacks (for example between shooting and gaining the permission to play another Shotgun Maneuver).

Also but! You have to resolve each Action Card wholly before playing the next. So don't just drop all 3 cards immediately on the table, that's illegal. And it might be a bad idea for the marine anyways, as the situation may change as the result of an attack AND it literally gives your hand away to your opponent.

Whether the multiple Shotgun Maneuvers (of which some were free) count as one main action or several, may be purely academical (before an expansion at least). EDIT: I've been trying to revise my clunky wording of this, strikethrough until I manage to revise this (if ever). If you know what I meant, great. If not, carry on, not important
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex W8er
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidryanandersson wrote:

Absolutely. The 2nd cards Speed Value is set to 0, but the ability isn't canceled.

Edit: If you meant to play 1 CS as the Main Action and playing the others after that one at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.