Subject: As a KS critic.why .im backing this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,All.

as some may know ive been and still am very critical of how the Kickstarter project is running nowadays.with ever increasing delays poor value etc.i wont go into all that its well documented on some of the games I'm still waiting to receive [all running late]...anyway,that out of the way....
I said that I wouldn't be backing anymore KS as ive got totally fed up with the way they are going.but I decided to soften and back this one..heres my reasons why..
1.this company had problems with Conan.and seem to have learnt from that experience.and are in a better place to deliver.
2.moulds are ready so a big part of the production process is already in place.
3.value is back with a bang![I hasten to add it was great value with the conan pledge].even without any addons,the basic pledge alone is huge!.
4.and last but not least.they have done quite a bit of solid gameplay.and the one on Beasts of war with lou against benoit was amazing..the tactical scale of this game just blew me away.as it did Justin who was "refereeing"| the game!.
so,that my reasons for backing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
4.and last but not least.they have done quite a bit of solid gameplay.and the one on Beasts of war with lou against benoit was amazing..the tactical scale of this game just blew me away.

Can you elaborate on this specifically? The only move I was really impressed with was the one where Benoit used the climb ability on his Nemean Lion and Medusa to catch Leo off guard, but I found the tactical scale to be pretty underwhelming for the biggest part of the fight.

Rushing the enemy Hero seemed to be the best move in 90% of all cases, as illustrated by the fact that only a single Spartan died before the game was over. I think I was expecting more "annoying" troops that had to be dealt with first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was pretty brilliant how he exploited Medusa's 4 token limit to trap Leo's army. The thing was that both the goddesses chosen were weak at combat in general so rushing them is usually the best strategy, but if you're dealing with a defensive powerhouse or a destructive force like Poseidon, you have to think about your approach a whole lot more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's a pass.

It looks like a good game, with good minis, and I suspect the team will deliver a nice product. But it fails my tests for backing a project any more.

1) Will it get played? Depending on the solo scenarios it might, but I've got Cthulhu Wars and Gods War if I want a skirmish game. This would just take up a lot of space.
2) Would I like it with tokens instead of minis? Nope. The minis are the selling point here for me. It -does- seem to be a good game without them though.
3) If I had $500 sitting around, would I buy this without the KS hype and exclusives? At retail, even with 40% off, there's simply no way I'd buy it.

And these are all once you get past the common sense questions with KS projects ("Why do I think they'll deliver?" "Is the price-to-content ratio worth it?" etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b e
msg tools
Caibre wrote:
I thought it was pretty brilliant how he exploited Medusa's 4 token limit to trap Leo's army. The thing was that both the goddesses chosen were weak at combat in general so rushing them is usually the best strategy, but if you're dealing with a defensive powerhouse or a destructive force like Poseidon, you have to think about your approach a whole lot more.

What I didn't get, and it's quite possible that is due to me not fully digesting all the rules yet, is why Benoit didn't retreat with his Goddess to safety after having her health reduced to 3? Maybe he didn't have any activation cards left?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb

Nashville
Tennessee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
icelt wrote:
What I didn't get, and it's quite possible that is due to me not fully digesting all the rules yet, is why Benoit didn't retreat with his Goddess to safety after having her health reduced to 3? Maybe he didn't have any activation cards left?

If I remember correctly, Leo had Aeacus in the area which enemy units must discard 1 Art of War card to leave and Benoit was low or out of AOW cards at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redspyder wrote:
icelt wrote:

If I remember correctly, Leo had Aeacus in the area which enemy units must discard 1 Art of War card to leave and Benoit was low or out of AOW cards at the end.

Initially, Leo had Cerberus in that zone which has Block. Block prevents units from leaving the zone. Once Cerberus was petrified, Leo resorted to the Aeacus strategy.

Also - he probably didn't have any Athena cards in his hand, I think he had 1 activation card left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going through some soul searching myself on this one. I'm going to back it for a base game since I believe it's a good value. I believe "I" will enjoy the game and I'm hoping that I will start painting miniatures as a hobby at some point in the future. After those reasons though I'm starting to question myself.

I already have Conan, Shadows of Brimstone, Blood Rage, Star War Rebellion, Defenders of the Realm, Descent, Conquest of Nerath, other D&D games and more. All of them are large boxes and taking up way too much space on my shelves. I don't get to play any of them as much as I would like. I can't really see myself ever using all (if any) of the expansions in Mythic Battles. My wife is my main gaming partner and though she will give the game a try, it's not one that I believe she will be wanting to play often.

So while the teenager in me is squealing with excitement and wanting to spend hours and hours playing the game to learn all of it's details, the reality is that I'll get the game and enjoy having it but never be able to appreciate it like I wish I could and only getting to play it occasionally.

At some point there comes a time when you just have too many dudes on a map style games and you have to start passing on the latest hot one or replace one you love. Knowing they are planning a Norse version of Mythic Battles in the future, I have to consider how that will fit into my collection as well .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I think Benoit went rather aggressive pretty early and charged in to do as much damage as possible to Hera, but he kind of ran out of steam early and didn't get a shuffle in time to replenish his resources. However, he did prevent Leo from bringing out more units because of the early pressure, which is why we didn't see his hounds, etc.

Aeceus really came in clutch at the end for him though. And luckily for him, he had brought out the units he needed to trap Athena early enough where he was able to get it in despite the pressure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b e
msg tools
IronSyndicate wrote:
redspyder wrote:
icelt wrote:

Initially, Leo had Cerberus in that zone which has Block. Block prevents units from leaving the zone. Once Cerberus was petrified, Leo resorted to the Aeacus strategy.

Also - he probably didn't have any Athena cards in his hand, I think he had 1 activation card left.

I noticed how Benoit negated Cerberus' block ability with petrify but I totally missed that Aeacus also effectively prevented Athena's escape. Thanks for the explanation gents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great comments in this thread. 15 year old me wants this game badly. Adult me realizes that all my friends are too busy to really let this game stretch out it's legs. I have to constantly ask myself am I enchanted by the demos I've seen with people who have been living and breathing this game for months on end? Or rather can we include Leo/Benoit in the pledge manager?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not usually into watching a full playthrough like this..ever. but I was so taken in by the huge range of tactics available for both lou and Benoit.they kept thinking about one way..then another...just so much solid depth to the game..totally made me sell a kidney and lung to back it
plus,also already having Conan kings pledge ive lots of possibilities when the game arrives

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Something to remember though is that the god pledge does only have four playable boards.

The big expansions add two more boards and a good number of scenario's too. Not just mini's. Hera expansion adds twelve scenario's even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Lo
msg tools
mbmb
Rhalius wrote:
Something to remember though is that the god pledge does only have four playable boards.

The big expansions add two more boards and a good number of scenario's too. Not just mini's. Hera expansion adds twelve scenario's even.

To be precise, god pledge come with 2 double-side board. Each big expansion add 1 double-side board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
1.this company had problems with Conan.and seem to have learnt from that experience.and are in a better place to deliver.
3.value is back with a bang![I hasten to add it was great value with the conan pledge].even without any addons,the basic pledge alone is huge!.
4.and last but not least.they have done quite a bit of solid gameplay.and the one on Beasts of war with lou against benoit was amazing..the tactical scale of this game just blew me away.as it did Justin who was "refereeing"| the game!.

1. and 2.: indeed, probably we will get the game on time;

3. Value, yes! But while that's true for the core box + SGs, not so much for the expansions (that have some very good units);

4. After reading the forums a lot and doing 10 PnP sessions 'm actually not that convinced about the gameplay anymore. The Troops mechanism is rather ugly and there's still a lot of questions to be answered. Personally I would actually lower my pledge if it were still possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Nguyen
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Teowulff wrote:
tootz wrote:

3. Value, yes! But while that's true for the core box + SGs, not so much for the expansions (that have some very good units);

4. After reading the forums a lot and doing 10 PnP sessions 'm actually not that convinced about the gameplay anymore. The Troops mechanism is rather ugly and there's still a lot of questions to be answered. Personally I would actually lower my pledge if it were still possible.

I remember you writing why you weren't convinced about the game anymore but I can't seem to find it. Can you post again why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Nguyen
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Oh Sorry Tootz I meant Teowuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no problem!..deleted it anyway.. put depth in the comment too many times...lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:

I feel as though the gameplay here is a known quantity. This is an updated version of a game that has been out for some time and has some serious fans. Questioning the mechanisms after ten plays is reasonable, but I still suspect you're missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
I feel as though the gameplay here is a known quantity. This is an updated version of a game that has been out for some time and has some serious fans. Questioning the mechanisms after ten plays is reasonable, but I still suspect you're missing something.

I'm not so sure about that. With games like Mare Nostrum or Arcadia Quest the gameplay is largely unchanged - so you know what you get.

Mythic Battles on the other hand was quite another game before Patheon; the original revolved mainly around Troops units and heroes and monsters were uncommon additions. The board existed out of squares instead of irregular shapes. Now the mechanics have changed completely to the point that Troops are not even mandatory and only play a very small role. Gods have become playable units. It's not the same game MB used to be.

I'd look at some MB gameplay first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Woods
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
All I make is junk.
badge
The Great Mysterio!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if the Typhon bundle was a good decision. I am really hyped on the game, but it was another $400 that I absolutely do NOT have right now, so I really stretched for it. I hope it will be worth it.

I just didn't want to be down the road 12 months from now regretting I didn't have all the KS-exclusive minis and accessories and having to fiddle through eBay to get them, not to mention paying some amount extra at retail for the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b e
msg tools
ke1den wrote:
Teowulff wrote:
tootz wrote:

I remember you writing why you weren't convinced about the game anymore but I can't seem to find it. Can you post again why?

FWIW I'm guessing his thread from the official forums covers is some detail the primary concerns, especially regarding the troops dynamic.

http://agoodplace.forumactif.com/t143-some-first-gameplay-im...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Litvak
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Foooolish Samurai Warrior!
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:

I played half a dozen PnP play sessions and at first I thought the troops were rather awkward. But after my last game, I no longer see issues with the troops. I got a lot of mileage out of a couple troop units. All in one game, they were able to:
1. Distract and pull my opponent's units to a certain part of the board by rushing omphalos.
2. Recall those same units across the map and in order to claim and bring an omphalos to my god.
3. Block opponent's unit from rushing my god and block LoS.
4. Use guard to help keep my god from being torn apart.

Heracle's & Leonidas' leader abilities really helped to pull these tactics off as it helped me not waste AoW cards and keep a predictable flow for troops.

So, I don't agree. I think the troops are in a good place. Maybe leader ability could use a boost to include start of turn, but other than that, I like where they're at.

Like the fighters in Star Wars Armada, they can't do anything on their own, and you could probably build a list without them, but they can help play an import role in your army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
For me it's a pass.

It looks like a good game, with good minis, and I suspect the team will deliver a nice product. But it fails my tests for backing a project any more.

1) Will it get played? Depending on the solo scenarios it might, but I've got Cthulhu Wars and Gods War if I want a skirmish game. This would just take up a lot of space.
2) Would I like it with tokens instead of minis? Nope. The minis are the selling point here for me. It -does- seem to be a good game without them though.
3) If I had $500 sitting around, would I buy this without the KS hype and exclusives? At retail, even with 40% off, there's simply no way I'd buy it.

Lying sack of ^*&%$ I am... I went all in.

Ultimately, it -does- look like a good game, and play or not I think it brings enough chaotic variety and miniatures and TTRPG utility that I feared I'd kick myself if I skipped it. I -hope- to get some good use out of it!

And worst case, I bet I can resell at a profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.