Exelor
msg tools
mbmb
We just finished the Seeds of Corruption campaign on Hard. With quite a bit of Descent experience, the first few story quests were very well balanced for our group. We barely managed a few of them but never lost one, which we thought perfect. By the time we transitioned into act 2 things started getting easier and the entire act 2 was really too easy.

I have not played the first campaign, but I did not enjoy our last few sessions due to the imbalance. Maybe we were too lucky with combination/gear in the first part that we were too far ahead come mid campaign? Has anyone else seen this problem where the difficulty changes through the campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious- what did you think made the later quests too easy? Too few monsters, or easy objectives? What did your hero party look like?

I'm thinking back to a run of "Missing in Action" I did with a well geared conjurer astarra, skirmisher orkell, and prophet avric (on normal) and I won the quest, but I found it quite challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've now progressed through most of Act I in Kindred Fire and we have definitely outpaced the difficulty at hard. I'm worried that we will have the same experience as you when we go through Act II. I'm playing with some very sharp guys (I get corrected a lot on strategy) but I really feel certain classes get OP quickly, specifically the Bard and Runemaster. You get them the right gear and they carry the group through most everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently finished Kindred Fire on hard. Mild spoilers ahead.

Heroes/classes
Mordrog - Berserker
Sir Valadir - Champion
Mad Carthos (CK) - Conjurer
Augur - Disciple

I did not choose the best heroes or classes on purpose. The conjurer was kind of underwhelming at the beginning but became a damage machine due to Focus Fire and great gear later on. I feel that Prismatic Assault is not as OP as some people say. Actually I used it two or three times in the whole campaign. Champion and Disciple were very solid, Berserker had its Whirlwind moments.

Difficulty was ok for the first two quests but became more or less trivial from then on. I usually did not lose any morale and did all available sidequests before going to the city again.

Interesting exceptions
I lost Lair of Tekaris in Act II due to a unfortunate goblin assasin squad in combination with a horrible Shadow Dragon Fire Breath hitting all heroes and the damage that Tekaris causes when undamaged at the end of the round.

The Finale was a really close call, especially as I could not destroy some of Alric's mutants (e.g. the one that needs to attack you and must not cause any damage on B+R+R dice to be discarded) and I was not prepared for what happened when Alric was defeated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exelor
msg tools
mbmb
zaltyre wrote:
I'm curious- what did you think made the later quests too easy? Too few monsters, or easy objectives? What did your hero party look like?

I'm thinking back to a run of "Missing in Action" I did with a well geared conjurer astarra, skirmisher orkell, and prophet avric (on normal) and I won the quest, but I found it quite challenging.

We were able to deal too much damage too quick for the amount of monsters that spawned. There were enough monsters, I'd prefer if they had more health. Most bosses would die in one round if we were close by, often they never got to activate.
We had avric(spiritspeaker), astarra(runemaster) and syndrael(skirmisher). The last two were dealing large amounts of damage, especially the runemaster as walt pointed out.

I found the start of the campaign challenging and very fun. I like the concept a lot, i just wish the "hard" mode could be hard all the way through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exelor
msg tools
mbmb
Sadgit wrote:
I have recently finished Kindred Fire on hard. Mild spoilers ahead.

Heroes/classes
Mordrog - Berserker
Sir Valadir - Champion
Mad Carthos (CK) - Conjurer
Augur - Disciple

I did not choose the best heroes or classes on purpose. The conjurer was kind of underwhelming at the beginning but became a damage machine due to Focus Fire and great gear later on. I feel that Prismatic Assault is not as OP as some people say. Actually I used it two or three times in the whole campaign. Champion and Disciple were very solid, Berserker had its Whirlwind moments.

Difficulty was ok for the first two quests but became more or less trivial from then on. I usually did not lose any morale and did all available sidequests before going to the city again.

Interesting exceptions
I lost Lair of Tekaris in Act II due to a unfortunate goblin assasin squad in combination with a horrible Shadow Dragon Fire Breath hitting all heroes and the damage that Tekaris causes when undamaged at the end of the round.

The Finale was a really close call, especially as I could not destroy some of Alric's mutants (e.g. the one that needs to attack you and must not cause any damage on B+R+R dice to be discarded) and I was not prepared for what happened when Alric was defeated.

It seems we all had similar experiences, which is what I expected. I am sure if we had chosen sub-optimal classes we would have had a little more challenge also, but I still think it would have been far from "hard". I hope maybe they can add another difficulty level above hard that gives monsters some extra life, not just the boss monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I also feel the app underutilizes powers of some of the monsters, activates the wrong group and often blindly rushes. Telling minions to all spot down a narrow hallway is a death sentence when the heroes have an AOE attack. It would nice if the app was more aware of hero strengths and adjusted somehow: scatter in front of AOE, close on ranged attackers, duck behind cover, etc.

Conditions applied are kind of random and are usually shrugged off by good healers and potions. Currently things only get really hard if you take too much time to rest, but in a well structured group only the healer needs to be resting and the rest can motor on.

Some of the AI concepts used in solo wargaming (COH being the best) could be integrated, but it would also likely slow things down a bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exelor
msg tools
mbmb
waltermac wrote:
I agree. I also feel the app underutilizes powers of some of the monsters, activates the wrong group and often blindly rushes. Telling minions to all spot down a narrow hallway is a death sentence when the heroes have an AOE attack. It would nice if the app was more aware of hero strengths and adjusted somehow: scatter in front of AOE, close on ranged attackers, duck behind cover, etc.

Conditions applied are kind of random and are usually shrugged off by good healers and potions. Currently things only get really hard if you take too much time to rest, but in a well structured group only the healer needs to be resting and the rest can motor on.

Some of the AI concepts used in solo wargaming (COH being the best) could be integrated, but it would also likely slow things down a bunch.

Make sure to half the damage of AoE to all but one monster. We managed through the campaign with very little AoE. Half damage on monsters with high armor is not very effective anyway. I can understand why it is as it is though, making the AI smart enough to scatter would be a lot more complicated than the random activation and random action they currently have.
I agree that there is room for improvement on the AI, but I think it will be too much effort for FFG to attempt a complex system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dimitrousis
Greece
Thessaloniki, Euosmos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the game becomes easier when you start buying Act II item cards. The sooner you start buying them the easier the rest of the campaign becomes.

Take note that the new campaign not only provides a lot of ways to get extra fame but also requires only 42 fame to reach legendary status and unlock all the great Act II items. The old {Kindred Fire) campaign required 60 fame. So it is easier now for the players to start buying great items even before the missions become Act II missions.

Still, I love the new campaign because it gives me more of an RPG experience. Lots of flavor text and choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great info on the impact of Fame. Where did you get it? We've been assuming that the Act II items we bought in Act I were connected to Fame, indeed we passed up search tokens (after much argument ) to finish with higher Fame, expecting better shopping. But we had no real proof of the connection. It would be fun (and possibly lead to additional AP) if we knew the formula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exelor
msg tools
mbmb
Are both campaigns equally long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waltermac wrote:

I get why people are complaining about the AI, but what your asking for is beyond the scope of the app. It's purpose is to sell more cardboard and plastic.

An AI like you suggest would need more information than the app currently tracks, figure positions and health at a bare minimum. At that point you've pretty much got a digital copy of the game, so what do you need the physical components for? Plus the app is meant to run on low powered tablets, the simpler it is the less time it takes to play an already slow game.

Really an AI will never be even comparable to an actual OL player. If you're seeking such a challenge I don't think you're going to get it any other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
"Long" in terms of how many quests played? Possibly the same. Seeds of Corruption has a LOT of stuff going on apart from the main quests though, with branching path based on your choices rather than which quests you win, and if you like reading story text, you are going to love playing Seeds of Corruption. There is no shortage of text to hit "Continue" on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really disagree that the app is doing what it's supposed to do. I've bought half a dozen expansions as a result of it's release.

I'm not so sure that the RTL app would need info on positions and health. The Conflict of heroes AI doesn't have this info, but the cards it uses have a more complex conditional decision tree. It tries to simulate squad level covered advances in WWII. Movement direction is based upon available cover and line of sight concerns, as well as choosing targets based on several calculations of target distance and expected damage. It's a more complex flow chart to be followed, which is why it would add (probably) too much time to the game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waltermac wrote:
I don't really disagree that the app is doing what it's supposed to do. I've bought half a dozen expansions as a result of it's release.

I'm not so sure that the RTL app would need info on positions and health. The Conflict of heroes AI doesn't have this info, but the cards it uses have a more complex conditional decision tree. It tries to simulate squad level covered advances in WWII. Movement direction is based upon available cover and line of sight concerns, as well as choosing targets based on several calculations of target distance and expected damage. It's a more complex flow chart to be followed, which is why it would add (probably) too much time to the game play.

Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion is of course - by far - the best AI solo bot in existence at the moment. No doubt about that.

CoH is my number one game, so it is no surprise I like the Descent App too.

I think it is also a question of hardcore players in Descent2. I have great fun with this App, BUT I am new to the many monster types and boss fights so I stumble into unknown mechanics in some random Delve dungeons.

I lost my first level boss fight due to not knowing the different boss mechanics, in fact you don't know the bosses before you start...

I am convinced that if you played Descent for years and know the many different behaviours of the monsters, it will get easier, but I doubt very much your average gamer will see this as a problem.

That's why I love solo (war)gaming: you experience the game in a much better story driven roller coaster and you are not distracted by other player's advices.

Btw Playing the CoH solo expansion with 2 people is not even fun as you start discussing things too much and the game drags on too long due to discussions and differences in how to make tactical decisions.

So I think after playing a few times in Descent2 now, the game's App difficulty in hard mode is perfect for me.

I hope to beat the next stages in Delve mode and go a little further than dying on the first boss due to moral...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hector h
msg tools
one funny way to take one step up difficult: to use full monster groups and/or 4players bosses stats, even if playing only 2-3 heroes.

another one is limit yourself to only 1 sidequest betwen stages

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.