The Others» Forums » General

Subject: How do your players go about team building? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ha. Voc
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So far my group has played with the base set heroes and the sons of rag. Both play well as teams, the sons are especially synergistic.

But I do have all the expansions, so was looking into team building. I tend to play the sin so was wondering how you let players go about making a team with all heros? Just let them choose? Build a team for them?

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Johnson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let the players decide. The only requirements is the team makeup must contain the following:

1 Leader
2 Bruisers
2 Shooters
2 Fixers

If, and only if, they cannot come to a final decision on their own, then you as the sin player may pick for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
During first games, I give them the whole Alpha team for learn up.

After that, each game I randomly pick heroes of each color with one extra.

So it's 2 yellow, 3 blue, 3 green, 3 red.

After that, they can remove one of each color based on their choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
I let them choose whatever they want in the rules limits and I beat them HARD!

But they have fun mind you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have the KS Pledge. I usually play sin and let the Faith choose any team within the restrictions of 1 leader and 2 of each type.

We then draft a team based on the setup to have starters and reserves. This might seem obvious, but most people I've played with don't do it unless I advise them. The board starts with danger everywhere, but as the game goes on the danger gets more focused. So you should really draft a team to handle that. Here are some of the things we consider:

Rocco (+2 hits on ranged attack) is really good at the start of the game because he is able to clear out streets with little or no risk of failure. But once most streets are empty, he kinda falls off because of his lower base combat stats mean he's not as effective at killing what is actually there. Rocco is either a starter or not on the team.

The vampire is a good starter because she can take damage moving around the starting board (which has the most hazards usually as nothing has been dealt with) and regen the damage. That regen is way less useful when dealing with a monster stack, so starter or probably not on the team.

Thorley has amazing stats, and with a few upgrades he can face an avatar without dying. So we consider him a great reserve character because having him at full health to deal with big monsters is good, and he is effective even without any corruption. We always try to use a different starter and keep Thorley in reserve.

The Wolf Man is also a great reserve because you he can hybrid to deal with whatever situation you have, but he does it in a focused way. It's better to leave him in reserve and pick a well rounded starter team.

The KS exclusive leader that raises or lowers corruption is also great for reserve, because chances are really high that you some characters will be at or near max corruption when he comes out of reserve. He also can help boost a new char's corruption so that they can have more power in fights. In round 1 there probably isn't much need for such an ability.

The A team leader is a decent starter, but her extra turn token needs to have a purpose. Too many players give it out randomly. Typically, I'd look at a district your team needs that is far away, and give the token to the person who is supposed to go there, either for an objective or to use it's power, and give it to them. Or give it to Rocco so he can clear more dudes in the street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.