Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Star Wars Command Figurines for this game ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alex z
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I am considering buying this game to play with my kids when they get older (currently daughter is 7 and son is 4).

I have ALL the SW Command plastic figurines and just started painting them (pics below).

Would these be usable for this game or are they too big for the tiles / terrain?

Also let me know what you think about my noob painting skills. I haven't painted anything miniature-wise in over 20 yrs and I was already a poor painter back them (gosh I hate highlights and small details).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The SWC figures are about 3 times bigger than the IA figures. There will be considerable overlap if you use them on the IA map. And if common scale is important to you at all, the SWC figures will look horribly out of place next to the IA figures.

Plus they'll be half as tall as the AT-ST.

But your painted figures do look great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex z
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok thanks, Then i'd have to reprint the bases to play with these figurines

Thanks for the painting, I am not super satisfied with the Jedi robes, the highlights are crap and the Tusken robe is not the right color, making the highlights poor as well. And I didn't have a small enough brush before to do the details right.

I'll practice some more (got another 80ish figurines to paint in stock) and upload more pics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexz3 wrote:
Ok thanks, Then i'd have to reprint the bases to play with these figurines

Thanks for the painting, I am not super satisfied with the Jedi robes, the highlights are crap and the Tusken robe is not the right color, making the highlights poor as well. And I didn't have a small enough brush before to do the details right.

I'll practice some more (got another 80ish figurines to paint in stock) and upload more pics

Why don't you just paint your IA figures then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex z
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't have the game yet (need to buy French versions as I am French) and I already have these Command guys to paint

Plus, they are bigger than the IA figures so a bit easier for me and my eyes to get back to painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fattimiei
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I constantly play this game with my 4 and 7 years sons; we play the skirmish version, most of the times without command cards; the younger play with me, the older alone, we have a great fun together with this game.

We played a few times with my son's lego figures instated of original minis', and they fit well with the board, just a little unstable on the board (better add a 2x2 base on each figure for better stability).
If you want you can have a demo game of imperial assault using them (or similiar) and some printed materials (board and cards).

Painting larger figures could be a trainig but you won't have great results since they have few details compared to miniatures. You will find that painting this game is not so hard, and following Sorastro's tutorial you will be amazed by your own results!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex z
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, using Lego is brilliant

I like the Command figurine size as they do have great details and are good practice for me now. Zooming in on my pics make me see all the mistakes my eyes can't see.

Once I buy the game I'll certainly paint the minis as well and leave the Command figurines for my kids to play as they want.

With such young kids, is Skirmish easy to play? How long does a session usually last?

(this thread is definitely going off topic )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexz3 wrote:
Wow, using Lego is brilliant

I like the Command figurine size as they do have great details and are good practice for me now. Zooming in on my pics make me see all the mistakes my eyes can't see.

Once I buy the game I'll certainly paint the minis as well and leave the Command figurines for my kids to play as they want.

With such young kids, is Skirmish easy to play? How long does a session usually last?

(this thread is definitely going off topic )

Mistakes that your eyes can't see are no mistakes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, we used LEGO figures for Rebel Troopers too before I got the expansion.

Btw, a magnifying visor is a great tool while painting. I can no longer get by without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fattimiei
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With printed maps definitively less than an hour for a 1vs1 game (I would say 40 minutes on average). If you need to build the maps with original puzzle pieces it take twice the time for a game.

When I play with my 7 y.o. son we don't use command cards, this simplify the game (one less thing to keep in mind and in hands) without removing a lot in tactic IMO.
A 4 players skirmish game is a little longer than an hour but kids can remain seated without problems for that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BigBoar wrote:

When I play with my 7 y.o. son we don't use command cards, this simplify the game (one less thing to keep in mind and in hands) without removing a lot in tactic IMO.

I agree that it's best to play without those when playing with kids of that age, but command cards are a cornerstone of a good list. They are usually what decides a game. Card advantage is not only a concept of Magic or card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex z
msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is a Rebel Pilot I finished, not too happy about it but hey, my kids like 'em so...

And Stormtrooper again with some shiny varnish.

Chewbacca, C-3PO and Ewok are next

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex z
msg tools
mbmbmb
holy crappamolee seeing these pics in large shows soo many mistakes I just don't see with my naked eye (bubbles from the varnish, paint overlaps...)

I really need a magnifying glass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex z
msg tools
mbmbmb

Here are some new pics.

Stormies have been done with a new drybrush technique and no shiny varnish to test out different effects.

Xwing needs to have the R2 unit finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex z
msg tools
mbmbmb
finished 2 more Jedis:

and a new officer :

Oh, and i just bought everything available for the game so far in French All Ally + Villain packs, game extensions and base game of course.

I'll see what storage solution I then need and additional bases for damage etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.