5 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: A world at war solo, possible? Worth it ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So by chance I started to read about this game, and seem quite a challenge to learn it, of course the catch is that if I get it. I would be moot likely playing it solo, I read the rules up to the air operations, and the game seems interesting.

Then I read some startup guide posted in the files section and looks like the research phase and the cards has some hidden info, so I come to the experts, is this game playable/worth solo?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
It's possible. So much is going on, you'll forget most of your research anyhow.

Naval combat in the Pacific is probably the biggest challenge - and you
can just make a few reasonable choices and roll a die to decide, as with
most hidden decision games.

Worth? Ah, I dunno. I got a much better payoff out of both the old
A3R/EotRS that it was based on and WiF. The rules have evolved into
a style that makes the game harder to approach than the complexity alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost all wargames can be soloed relatively easily, regardless of hidden information. It's only when play based on hidden information becomes the overwhelming focus of a game that soloing becomes difficult. Simple block games that use the blocks to hide unit information from your opponent is an example of this. In many of the games, there's not a lot going on and the focus is almost exclusively on deceiving/bluffing your opponent.

AWAW won't be that way. There are so many things going on, that it will likely be an interesting game regardless of any hidden information. Moreover, if you're soloing the beast, it wouldn't be to grok out the best strategies or to figure out how good of a competitive game it is. It would purely be for the narrative experience of the game, at which point competitive considerations largely fall away.

If you're not used to soloing wargames, it might be worth starting with something much smaller to see if you enjoy that type of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read enough comments about AWaW the better question is is it worth it under any circumstances?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:

If you're not used to soloing wargames, it might be worth starting with something much smaller to see if you enjoy that type of thing.

Agreed. May I suggest this as a starting point:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.