Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules in anticipation of my first game, and the only lingering question I have regards staff cards -- can you ever get more of them?

From what I can tell, you draw 6 at the start and that is it. If true, that is fantastic for per game variety (reminds me of variance in Agricola), but can lead to an imbalanced opportunities space between players (which can lead some designers to make the range of card powers more bland then they otherwise could be).

Anyhoo, just curious if I missed something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some in-game effects will allow players to draw more staff cards. It's also recommended to draft the initial staff cards as it's good to have a mix of end of game scoring staff cards and engine-building/special benefit staff cards. Despite ways to draw additional cards, there will still be a fair amount that you will not use in a game... well, if you stick with 2-player games which is what's recommended for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you don't draft, find the staff cards with a letter in the corner. Letters A-D. Those are balanced starter hands that are pre-selected. Great for beginning the game, but you'll want to start drafting them, as noted earlier, as you get comfortable with the game more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are guest cards that come out that when you fill their order and place them in a room, the bonus benefit they give you is to acquire additional staff cards. But a) these card benefits are rare and b) sometimes when they come into play, you are so late into the game that acquiring additional staff cards doesn't carry any obvious benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
There are guest cards that come out that when you fill their order and place them in a room, the bonus benefit they give you is to acquire additional staff cards. But a) these card benefits are rare and b) sometimes when they come into play, you are so late into the game that acquiring additional staff cards doesn't carry any obvious benefit.

Yes, there are several guests that give additional staff cards to your hand. Also, some of the emperor bonus tiles let you draw and hire additional staff.

These are things that vary from game to game; one game a dozen staff cards might pass through your hands, while next time you only see your original six. After a half-dozen games you will feel like you know almost the entire deck of staff cards.

Also keep in mind that the opportunity cost to hire staff is significant. In many games we don't hire more than 3 or 4 staff members. Only certain strategies make it worth the effort to hire more than that. Actions are tight in this game.

I agree with the comment above: after one or two plays, when you are comfortable with how the game works, begin drafting your staff cards. That really creates an additional strategic opportunity, and it forces players to consider what card combinations to allow their opponent(s) to obtain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.