Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Solo Conquest -- Tovak -- Lost Legion Expansion (minus Volkare) Included rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always wanted to chronicle a play of one of my games, so I chose Mage Knight. I am a newbie, but I believe I have picked up this game fairly quickly over the 10 or so plays I have attempted so far. If anyone actually reads this, please feel free to criticize or offer suggestions and let me know if this is useful to anyone.

Thanks!

Solo Conquest – Tovak
Dummy Player – Norowas

Using the Lost Legion expansion, the updated cards, but not General Volkare.

ROUND 1 (Day), TURN 1.

Opening Draw: Crystallize, Instinct, Rage, March, Cold Toughness
Source: Green, Blue, Red.

STRATEGY: It would be nice to move toward the ancient ruins and keep but I don’t think I have enough to take on so much right off the bat. I decided to take the Planning tactic to have 6 cards in my hand rather than taking the often used Great Start tactic. Unfortunately, the Dummy took Great Start so that tactic is lost to me for this game. Ultimately, I think my best bet is to move toward the marauding orc (an orc tracker) despite the hindering terrain that it is in, the swamp.

MOVE: Power up March with green mana from the source and use Instinct to move 6 and get through two forests and adjacent to the orc tracker.

ANALYSIS: At first, I wanted to save Instinct for something better, but I wanted to slog through the dense terrain as quickly as possible and take advantage of the Planning tactic. I am giving up recruiting or plundering the village because, being in the swamp, it is just too difficult to get there.

Dummy player drew 4 cards.

ROUND 1, TURN 2.

Opening hand: Tranquility, Threaten, Rage, Cold Toughness, Crystallize.
Source: 2x red, blue.

MOVE: Use Cold Toughness for Ice Block 3, and Influence played sideways to block the Orc. Use powered up Rage with red mana from the source to get attack 4 and kill the orc. Earn 1 reputation, and 3 fame for killing marauding orc. Gain second level which includes a skill and an advanced action card. Chose Ice Bolt from the Advanced Action Offer over Stout Resolve and Regeneration. For my skill, I took Double Time over Motivation.

ANALYSIS: Ice Bolt was at the far right of the Advanced Action Offer so I would have lost the opportunity to get this card had I chosen one of the others, but that is not why I chose it. I like the ranged ice attack. I went back and forth over the skill. Motivation provides extra cards once a round, but I am hoping through my conquering of keeps and eventually cities, the number of cards in my hand will be large enough. It always seems that movement points are at a premium and this skill can be used each turn, not each round, to give me 2 more movement points at night and one during the day. I think that’s best. Bonds of loyalty was put into the Common Skill offer by the dummy player. I chose to use Threaten sideways because I am forgoing the village in the swamp and there is no guarantee that another opportunity to recruit will present itself this round.

Dummy player took 3 cards.

NOTE: I forgot to use the Planning tactic for this turn and drew only 5 cards. Bummer.

ROUND 1, TURN 3.

Opening hand: Tranquility, Crystallize, Ice Bolt, Swiftness, Swiftness, Rage.
Source: red, blue, gold

MOVE: Decided to pass on the ruins and explore. I chose to use the gold mana, called it green, and played Tranquility to draw 2 extra cards. I drew and played March and Stamina to explore and reveal tile 14. I then played Swiftness and the +2 Double Time skill to get to the Magical Glade and get a gold mana token for next turn.

ANALYSIS – I want to move along so I did so. I chose to use the gold mana from the source knowing I would get it back from the Magical Glade.

Dummy player drew 3 cards, has 6 left in his deed deck. I have 2 cards left in my deed deck.

ROUND 1, TURN 4.

Opening hand: Crystallize, Ice Bolt, Swiftness, Rage, Mana Draw, Concentration
Source: red. Blue, green

MOVE: Played Swiftness and Double Time to move into Ancient Ruins. Used Gold mana token from Magical Glade to power up Concentration to use the stronger Ice Bolt power +2 to kill the Wearwolf in the ruins in the ranged attack phase. The other foe were Heroes that I could not block and I was forced to take 3 wounds (2 from the first attack of 3, and 1 from the second attack of 2). But then I eliminated the Heroes using the stronger Rage power using red mana from the source and Mana Draw played sideways to get 5 to kill the Heroes. That bumped me to level 3, giving me another unit to control and now my armor is 3. I lost a reputation by killing the Heroes. Besides the 10 fame I earned, I also got an artifact. I chose, Tome of All Spells over Shield of the Fallen Kings.

ANALYSIS: An excellent result in my opinion. Yes, I took 3 wounds, but I earned 10 Fame, I leveled up to 3, and earned an artifact. I took Tome of All Spells to be able to use spells from the spell offer simply by discarding a card (and using the basic effect of a spell from the offer that matches the color of the discard). The Shield was a defensive artifact and I’d rather the offense ability.

Dummy drew 5 cards, one card left.

ROUND 1, TURN 5:

Opening hand: Tome of all Spells, Stamina, Crystallize, 3 wounds.
Source: green, green, blue

RULE LEARNED: Asked a question on BGG to learn that, for purposes of the Planning Tactic, wounds count toward the requisite number of at least two cards in hand in order to draw one more card for my hand than usual. Good thing because, I had only Crystallize and three wounds after ending last turn before the draw.

Not much to do here with only three cards in my hand. I used Stamina, powered by a blue mana from the source and explored a tile to reveal tile 4, a marauding orc (warbeast) right next to me, and a Mage Tower. I moved the extra 2 movement points to get next to the Mage Tower to reveal Magic Familiars. Unfortunately, despite my artifact allowing me to essentially use any spells for the color of a discarded card, none of the cards are offensive so I probably won’t be able to attack either enemy unless my final card in the deed deck is very powerful.

Dummy drew its last card and will declare end of round next turn, meaning that I have two turns left at most.

ROUND 1, TURN 6:

Opening hand: Tome of All Spells, Promise, Crystallize, 3 wounds.
Source: green, green, blue.

MOVE: Used Tome sideways and Double time to gain the 2 MP necessary to get to the village. I then took blue mana from the source to get the stronger Crystallize power to gain a white mana crystal for my inventory. I then used that crystal to get the stronger Influence power of 4 to recruit Peasants from the village.

ANALYSIS: I could not attack the Mage Tower or the marauding orc. I could have waited where I was to begin the night round next to the two enemies I would like to defeat, or I could have moved to the village, which is what I ended up doing.

FINAL POSITION AFTER ROUND 1

FINAL ROUND 1 STATS:

0 reputation
13 Fame
1 Advanced Action Card: Ice Bolt
1 Artifact: Tome of all Spells
One shield on an Adventure Site
One blue mana crystal
4 revealed tiles
3 wounds.

CONCLUDING COMMENTS: So far, I think I have started off well. I anticipate getting the Mage Tower getting me at least to level 5 (and another skill and advanced action). I’ll be able to cross that desert more easily at night after dispatching the orcs and the Familiars so overall, I’d have to say that I am pleased with my progress in this first round.

ROUND 2 (Night), TURN 1.

Starting Position

MISTAKE: In ROUND 1, TURN 5 it looks like I failed to resolve the provoked attack when I moved next to the Mage Tower across the face of the War Beast. Oops!

Opening Draw: Tome of All Spells, Swiftness, March, Stamina, Stamina
Source: white, white, blue

COMMENTS: Not one offensive spell in the Spell Offer! So even with the Tome, I can’t use it for conquest. 4 move cards and a ranged attack 3 isn’t enough to kill either of the enemies (the Orc War Beast or the Magic Familiars) both of which are not fortified and could be attacked in the siege/ranged attack phase. I looked through my deck and would have liked to have taken Concentration using the Preparation tactic, but I don’t have access to green mana so that won’t help. I opted for Midnight Meditation to see if I could make something happen, really out of desperation. The Dummy took Sparring Power so I will go first in the turn.

Played Midnight Meditation keeping one Stamina and Swiftness and shuffling back into my Deed Deck the Tome, March and one Stamina.

Opening Redraw after Midnight Meditation: Stamina, Swiftness, Ice Bolt, Instinct, wound.

I can work with this, but it will expensive.

MOVE: Used Double time to move next to War Beast (MISTAKE see below) and took its attack of 3. Blocked with the Peasants and Stamina played sideways for 3. Played Swiftness with white mana from the source for 3 and Instinct for 2 to get 5 and eliminated the War Beast (+1 Reputation and +3 fame) bringing me to level 4 and another skill and Advanced Action Card. I took Bonds of Loyalty from the Common Spell Offer from Norowas (the Dummy) forcing me to take Regeneration as my Advanced Action (this Advanced Action was in the far right position of the Advanced Action Offer, and I must select it because I took a skill from the Common Skill Offer), but that is no sacrifice, I probably would have taken Regeneration anyway over Refreshing Walk or Ritual Attack. I turned down Day Sharpshooting and Who Needs Magic to take Bonds of Loyalty.

Dummy player took 5 cards.

MISTAKE: I don’t know why, but for some reason I had it that the Double Time skill gave two extra MP at night and one during the day when, in fact, it was the opposite. I looked through Round 1 and discovered that I played it correctly in Round 1 (2 MP during the day) despite thinking it otherwise. So I adjusted the above turn and I had to play the Ice Bolt sideways to get the extra movement point rather than replaying the turn. Mistakes are part of the game, but at least I was able to correct this one.

ROUND 2, TURN 2.

Hand: Swiftness, Regeneration, Mana Draw, 2 wounds.

Source: white, black, blue

THOUGHTS: I still don’t have enough to attack the Familiars so the Mage Tower remains beyond my grasp. Unfortunately, I am pinned in an area where I am far away from being able to reveal any more tiles. I also would like to take advantage of my Bonds of Loyalty skill but the village next door only affords me a chance to recruit Foresters and I want something better, particularly since the skill forbids me from disbanding the unit.

MOVE: Used white mana from the source to play the stronger version of Mana Draw and I took the black mana from the source, set it to green, and I received 2 green mana tokens. Used one green mana token to use the stronger version of Regenerate to heal 2 (throwing away two wounds) and readying the Peasants that I exhausted last turn.

ANALYSIS: I didn’t move anywhere, but I was able to get rid of two wounds and ready my Peasants so the turn was useful.

Dummy took 5 cards again and has 7 cards left. I am likely to have 4 turns left this round.

ROUND 2, TURN 3.

Hand: Swiftness, Stamina, Rage, Tranquility, Threaten

Source: green, green, blue

THOUGHTS: Again, I cannot touch the Familiars in the Mage Tower and at this point, I cannot wait any longer and I must move.

MOVE: Used green mana from the source to play Heal and drew two more cards; 2 Marches. Used blue crystal from inventory and played the stronger Stamina for 4 movement points, and both Marches that enabled me to go over a hill, through the desert and explore a tile, tile 3 containing a white mana mine, a village and a keep. Still no monasteries on the board.

ANALYSIS: This round has ground to a screeching halt as I am not revealing anything significant. I need to get to a keep and maybe recruit some units.

Dummy drew 3 cards, leaving 4 left. I have an outside shot of having 4 turns left but I will have 3 minimum.

ROUND 2, TURN 4.

Hand: Swiftness, Rage, Rage, Threaten, Concentration

Source: gold, blue, green

THOUGHTS: Get to the keep, 4 movement points away and hope I can handle the enemy guarding the keep.

MOVE: Used Peasants (2 movement points), Double Time (1 MP) and Threaten sideways to go 4, assault the keep (-1 reputation) and reveal some Thugs. Used the two Rages to block the 3 attack from the Thugs, used green mana from the source to power up Concentration and then used Swiftness range attack 3 (+2 from Concentration) to kill the Thugs and earned +2 reputation and 2 fame.

ANALYSIS: Expensive turn as I drained my entire hand and used my Peasants. But I felt I needed to make something happen. I can recruit Shocktroops at the Keep using Bonds of Loyalty or my second unit shield earned at level 3. I also will get an extra card in my hand due to commanding the keep, but I drained my deed deck drawing back up to 5.

Dummy took 3 cards leaving 1 so there are 3 turns left for me, but I doubt I will use them all.

ROUND 2, TURN 5.

Hand: Crystallize, Promise, Tome of All Spells, Cold Toughness, wound.

Source: blue, gold, red

THOUGHTS: I’m tapped out of attack cards from the previous turn so the plan will be to recruit at the Keep and then try to explore as much as possible before the round ends.

MOVE: Paid a blue mana from the source to play Crystallize and got a blue crystal in my inventory. Recruited Shocktroops from the Unit offer under the Bonds of Loyalty Skill meaning that the usual 6 influence needed to recruit these guys was reduced to 1 and I used Influence to to get the final influence point. That was all I could do.

Dummy drew its only remaining card.

ROUND 2, TURN 6.

Hand: wound, Tome of All Spells, Cold Toughness

Source, white, gold, red

THOUGHTS: Unfortunately, I cannot use the Tome because I only have a blue card and there are no blue spells. I can only explore.

MOVE: Played Tome sideways and used +1 Double Time skill to explore and revealed tile 12.

ANALYSIS: This tile won’t help things along much. There is a labyrinth, walls, refugee camp, monastery, swamp and a mountain, along with a marauding orc (Wolf Rider), none of which I will deal with because it is just too expensive to traipse around on this tile due to the restrictive terrain.

Dummy player declared end of round.

ROUND 2, TURN 7.

Hand: Cold toughness

Source: white, gold, red

MOVE: Played Cold Toughness sideways along with Double Time and got 2 MP and moved along to another plains space.

END OF ROUND.

FINAL POSITION

NOTE: I am actually on the plains one space "North" of the position on the picture.

FINAL ROUND 2 STATS:

+1 reputation
18 Fame
2 Advanced Action Cards: Ice Bolt, Regeneration
Two shields: adventure site, keep
One blue mana crystal
6 revealed tiles
Units controlled: Peasants, Shocktroops
1 wound.

FINAL COMMENTS ROUND 2: Slow going in this round. I got bogged down a bit trying to get enough offense to attack the Magic Familiars and conquer a Mage Tower but I ultimately could not. I also have not been able to use the Tome of All Spells because the Spell Offer has not cooperated. On a positive note, I only need to reveal one more standard tile before getting to the Core tiles and the cities.

ROUND 3, TURN 1

Opening Draw: Tranquility, Swiftness, Stamina, Concentration, Mana Draw
Source: blue, red, white

STRATEGY: The goal for this turn is to gain a level, which will give me a 4th unit to control (along with Bonds of Loyalty), and increase my hand limit to 6. There is monastery on board which gives me a chance to purchase the Training advanced action from the Unit Offer. If I can manage to explore 2 tiles, I will get into the core tiles which will potentially reveal a city and bring the advanced units into play. I also would love a spell, but the Mage Towers are conspicuously absent so far in this game, save for the one I could not conquer. I chose the Mana Steal Tactic and took a white mana die from the source. The dummy took Early Bird.

Dummy went first and took 3 cards.

MOVE: Used Double Time and Stamina to move next to the keep to reveal Heroes.

ANALYSIS: Tried to find a way to attack the Heroes on this turn, but it would have been expensive and it would have resulted in a wound to my Shocktroops. I decided to wait until next turn.

ROUND 3, TURN 2.

Hand: Tranquility, Swiftness, Concentration, Mana Draw, March
Source: blue, red … still have white on the Mana Steal Tactic.

Dummy drew 4 cards.

MOVE:
1. Used Mana Steal white and played strong Mana Draw card to take a red die from the source and turn it to two green tokens.
2. Used one green token for the stronger Tranquility to draw two cards, wound, Rage.
3. Used Move and Double Time to assault the Keep (on hill terrain) and the Heroes.
4. Used middle power of Shocktroops to reduce Heroes armor to 3 and the strength of the fire attack to 1.
5. Blocked fire attack of 1 with the inefficient Peasants block of 2.
6. Absorbed one wound from the second attack of 3 from the Heroes with Tovak, killed heroes with Rage (2) and Swiftness played sideways (1).

ANALYSIS – Expensive attack that cost me the readiness of both Units, cost 5 cards, cost me a wound, and 2 reputations (-1 heroes, -1 attacking the keep). But I can draw up to 7 cards now, soon to be 8 when I earn one more fame and gain a level. Plus, I know there is a Regeneration card in my deed deck that will ready one of those units and heal. I think it was a good move.

ROUND 3, TURN 3.

Hand: Concentration, Instinct, Regeneration, March, Ice Bolt, 2 wounds
Source: green, blue, gold

Dummy player drew 5 cards, 6 left. Likely 4 turns left in the round.

MOVE:
1. Used Double time to reveal a tile (13).
2. Used green mana from the source to power March for 4 movement points to reveal the another tile, the first core tile (*2*), with an adjacent Mage Tower guarded by Ice Golems.
3. Played Regeneration to throw away a wound and ready Shocktroops.

ANALYSIS – Decent result. I should be able to take out the Ice Golems, gain a spell and a level and, now with a core tile revealed, I will have access to advanced units. By not moving, I am still on a keep that I own so I can draw 7 cards.

NOTE: Realized before the start of Round 4 that I should have been drawing 8 cards because, now at Level 5, my normal hand size is now 6. So easy to make mistakes in this game!

ROUND 3, TURN 4.

Hand: Concentration, Instinct, Ice Bolt, Crystallize, Swiftness, Tome of All Spells, wound, should have been 8 cards!

Dummy drew 4 cards, 2 left. I will have 3 turns left in this round.

MOVE:
1. Used Double Time and Crystallize sideways to move to the forest and assault the Mage Tower (-1 reputation).
2. Played Tome of All Spells with Swiftness (white card) to activate Whirlwind from the Spell Offer preventing the Ice Golems from attacking this turn.
3. Used gold mana from the source to power up Instinct and killed the Golems (+5 fame). Was hoping to save the gold mana and Instinct for the battle with the Ice Dragon next turn, but couldn’t.
4. Took Whirlwind from the Spell Offer over Wings of Wind and Restoration.

ANALYSIS: Not only do I use Whirlwind, but I now have Whirlwind in my deed deck. Now I am adjacent to an Ice Dragon with an opportunity to take it out and pave my way to the cities. A solid turn. I am still next to my keep so I draw 7 cards (but it should have been 8!)

ROUND 3, TURN 5.

Hand: Concentration, Ice Bolt, Whirlwind, Promise, Stamina, Threaten, Wound.
Source: white, green, blue

Dummy drew its last two cards, will declare end of turn next turn. I have 2 turns left this round.

MOVE: Not enough to attack the Ice Dragon.
1. Used white mana from source to power up Influence (4), played Threaten for (2), and played Ice Bolt sideways for 7 Influence to recruit Illusionists from the Mage Tower.

ANALYSIS: If I am going to attack the Ice Dragon, I will need Whirlwind which runs on white mana so it is risky to deplete the white mana in the source. But the Illusionists can provide white mana with one of its abilities. I also played Ice Bolt sideways knowing that it is fairly useless against the Ice Dragon’s resistance and I would prefer the movement with Stamina.

ROUND 3, TURN 6.

Hand: Concentration, Whirlwind, Stamina, Cold Toughness, Rage, wound. Out of cards so I could not draw up to 8.
Source: blue, blue, green

Dummy declared end of round.

MOVE: Thought I could beat the Dragon, but the Ice and Physical resistances were just too tough, so I changed gears.
1. Played Concentration for a white mana token.
2. Paid that mana, used 4 influence from the Illusionists, and Rage, Stamina and Cold Toughness sideways to gain 7 influence and purchase the Expose spell from the Spell Offer.

END OF ROUND

FINAL ROUND 3 STATS:

0 reputation
28 Fame
2 Advanced Action Cards: Ice Bolt, Regeneration
2 spells: Whirlwind, Expose
4 shields: adventure site, 2 keeps, mage tower
One blue mana crystal
8 revealed tiles
Units controlled: Peasants, Shocktroops, Illusionists
1 wound

FINAL COMMENTS ROUND 3: I am into the core tiles after Round 3 and I am building up a nice arsenal of spells and units. I would have loved to have gotten that Dragon to boost me to the next level, skill and advanced action. Not displeased at this point.

ROUND 4, TURN 1.

Opening Draw: March, Ice Bolt, Swiftness, Concentration, Stamina, Whirlwind
Source: red, white, blue.

STRATEGY: I can’t get the Ice Dragon with the cards that I have and I don’t have enough Fire attacks to get around the Dragon’s defenses. Sitting in the Spell Offer is Flame Wall that will give me a 5 ranged attack that could be useful. Unfortunately, I have no red cards drawn so I can’t use the Preparation Tactic and take Tome of All Spells to use that Spell from the offer. I settled on the Preparation Tactic and drew Promise as my extra card with an eye on recruiting an Advanced Unit from the Mage Tower. The Dummy drew Mana Search and will go first.

Dummy drew 4 cards.

MOVE: Played the powered up Influence using white mana from the source (4 influence), took the 4 influence from my Illusionists, and played March sideways for 9 influence and recruited Sorcerers from the Mage Tower.

ANALYSIS – Lots of things I could have done, but this can’t hurt as I prepare to assault the Ice Dragon hopefully next turn.

ROUND 4, TURN 2

Draw: Instinct, Threaten, March, Ice Bolt, Swiftness, Concentration, Stamina, Whirlwind
Source: red, red, white

Dummy drew 5 cards, has 10 left.

THOUGHTS: The resistance of the Dragon is killing me. Once again, I cannot muster enough to take it on. If I had access to green mana, I could do it by removing the resistances of the Dragon with my Sorcerers, but alas, no green. I don’t think it prudent to go around the Dragon, because I will waste the same amount of time whether I kill it or run from it. I’m not sure I can dedicate any more than one more turn to this foe.

MOVE: Used Peasants (2), Instinct (2), Threaten (2) and March sideways to get 7 influence, paid red mana from the source, and purchased the spell Flame Wall from the Spell Offer.

ANALYSIS: Cost a lot, and I would have loved to have saved Instinct, but now I have a means to tackle that stinking dragon.

ROUND 4, TURN 3.

Draw: Ice Bolt, Swiftness, Concentration, Stamina, Whirlwind, Flame Wall, Regeneration, Mana Draw.
Source: red, green, white

Dummy drew 6 so I will have 3 turns left, 4 tops.

MOVE:
1. Provoked the attack from the Dragon by using Double Time (MISTAKE) and revealing a tile, *5* with the Blue city.
2. Played Mana Draw to get an extra draw from the source.
3. Drew white mana from the source to play Whirlwind to prevent the Dragon’s attack.
4. Drew red from the source to play Flame Wall to take off 5 points of the 7 the Dragon has.
5. Then I played the inefficient ranged attack (3) from the Sorcerers and Stamina sideways (1) to to finish off the 2 remaining hit points of the Dragon.
6. Since I prevented the Dragon’s attack using Whirlwind, I am attacking in the Melee phase rather than the Ranged Attack/Siege phase meaning that I can add a sideways card to the Ranged Attack to get the 4 that I need.
7. Whew! Earned 2 reputation for killing the Draconum and 8 fame to bring me to level 6 and a skill and an advanced action.
8. I chose Resistance Break as my skill over I Don’t Give a Damn, and Motivation from Norowas from the common skill offer. Norowas then added Inspiration into the common skill offer.
9. I chose Ambush as my advanced action over Into the Heat and Temporal Portal.

MISTAKE: Drat … it looks like I again used the Double Time for two move points when it should have been only 1. Mental block, I keep messing that up!

ANALYSIS: A good result finally defeating the Dragon. I chose the Resistance Break knowing that I will be needing ways to weaken my enemies as I assault the cities. Ambush will do the same.

ROUND 4, TURN 4.

Draw: Ice Bolt, Swiftness, Concentration, Regeneration, Ambush, Rage, Expose, Stamina
Source: red, blue, green

Dummy drew 4 cards to empty its deck. It will declare end of round next turn meaning I have 2 turns left this round.

THOUGHTS: I’ve been taking advantage of the keep bonus of two extra cards since I have not moved this entire round. Having dispatched the Ice Dragon now a Fire Dragon rears its ugly head next the the Blue City. I have 7 cards left in my deed deck, one of which is a wound, so I can be liberal with my use of cards given that there are only two turns left for me in this round. Ideally, I’d like to get to the monastery next to the city and maybe get an attack in on the city before the end of the round, if I can’t handle the Dragon.

MOVE:
1. Used green mana from the source, played stronger Ambush to add +2 to my first attack card of any type, plus 4 movement points, plus Double Time to move 5 into the forest next to both the Blue City and the Fire Dragon.
2. Played Resistance Break Skill to lower the Dragon’s armor from 7 to 5 (-2 armor for each resistance).
3. Played strong Ice Bolt powered by blue crystal in my inventory to get 5 ranged attack (3 + 2 from Ambush) to eliminate the Dragon.
4. Earned 8 fame and +2 reputation in the process. The level 5 Blue City is defended by a Fire Mage, Illusionist, and Delphana Masters.

ANALYSIS: Good efficient turn, however efficiency is irrelevant given that the Dummy will call end of round next turn. I am still next to my keep allowing me to draw 8 cards. I hope to get an attack on the City on my last turn but the Delphana Masters are going to be a challenge.

ROUND 4, TURN 5.

Draw: Crystallize, Expose, Rage, Stamina, Regeneration, Concentration, Swiftness, wound.
Source: red, blue, green

Dummy called end of round.

THOUGHTS: Bad luck drawing a wound given that there was only one wound among the 7 cards, of which I drew 2. I can play Regeneration, powered by green mana to ready my Sorcerers and heal, but that won’t generate any more cards. I will finish the round having not had a chance to use the Tome of All Spells Artifact.

MOVE:
1. Played basic Heal and readied my Illusionists and threw away my wound card.
2. Next played stamina and assaulted the Blue City (-1 reputation).
3. Played Resistance Break to drop the Delphana Masters armor to 6 from 8 due to its two resistances.
4. Used Illusionists to produce a white crystal to my inventory and immediately used it to cast Expose on the Delphana Masters which removed all resistances and fortifications and also served as a ranged attack of +2.
5. Played green mana from source to use the strong Concentration power and then played the stronger Swiftness for a +3 ranged attack +2 from Concentration to defeat the Delphana Masters, with an attack point to spare.
6. Now I had to fight off the attacks from the Fire Mage and the Illusionist that summoned a Shadow. As I read the rules, I could not reduce the attack of the Shadow with the Shocktroops due to the Arcane resistance. So I used the Shocktroops ability to lessen the attack of the Fire Mage (boosted to 8 from 6 due to the Blue City), and now 5 from the attack reduction and I assigned one wound to the Shocktroops and the other to my Hero.
7. For the Shadow’s 5 attack, I took two wounds for my Hero.

ANALYSIS: I took a beating but I took out the Delphana Masters (+9 Fame) bumping me to Level 7 and another possible unit to control plus armor of 4. I could have used my Units more to absorb damage but I need those guys back next Round and it is hard to bring them back when wounded. As it is, I will need two heals to heal the Shocktroops.

END OF ROUND.

FINAL ROUND 4 STATS:

0 reputation
53 Fame
3 Advanced Action Cards: Ice Bolt, Regeneration, Ambush
3 spells: Whirlwind, Expose, Flame Wall
4 shields: adventure site, 2 keeps, mage tower
No crystals in my inventory
9 revealed tiles
Blue City revealed, one of three City foes defeated
Units controlled: Peasants, Shocktroops (wounded), Illusionists, Sorcerers
3 wounds.

FINAL COMMENTS, ROUND 4. Did some damage to the tune of 25 fame points and also knocking off one of the enemies defending the Blue City. I think I am doing well and I hope to be onto the final city, perhaps getting an attack in, before Round 6.

ROUND 5, TURN 1

Opening Draw: Mana Draw, Rage, Crystallize, Swiftness, Stamina, Regeneration
Source: red, gold, green.

STRATEGY: Other than Regeneration, a card that I need to heal the Shocktroops, I got all ordinary cards. None of my spells, the artifact, or any of my good attack cards came out. My Tactic choices were The Right Moment and Rethink, so I chose Rethink to try and get a better draw. I tossed back Mana Draw, Rage and Crystallize and tried again.

Draw after Rethink Tactic: Swiftness, Stamina, Regeneration, Flame Wall, March, Instinct.

MOVE:
1. Used Double Time to move and attack the Blue City (-1 reputation).
2. Used gold mana from source, called it white and activated white power of Sorcerers to take Fortification away from the Fire Mage and also get a 3 ranged attack in the process.
3. Used Illusionists to get a white crystal and used the crystal to use Ranged Attack 3 from Swiftness and added it to the +3 ranged attack from the Sorcerers to eliminate the Fire Mage (+5 Fame).
4. Had to then deal with the enemy Illusionist summoned monster, a Hydra (man this Lost Legion Expansion is killing me!). Tovak took a wound with each attack from the Hydra (3 wounds). Hydra went away.
5. Used Resistance Break on Illusionist, to drop its armor from 3 to 2 due to Physical Resistance.
6. Used inefficient Peasants 2 attack plus the inefficient March and Stamina played sideways to kill the Illusionists (+4 Fame).

ANALYSIS: I could have done this any number of ways and I’m not sure I chose the correct way. There probably was an iteration of this attack that included every card and mana color at least once. I also chose to play my two moves sideways rather than use the 2 Attack from Instinct because I felt that there were still plenty of movement cards left in my deck, plus I have the Double Time skill each turn. Unfortunately, despite earning 9 Fame, I am still 1 fame short of moving to level 8 and getting another skill and advanced action. And … I used 3 of my 4 units in that attack, and the one I didn’t use is still wounded. But I have one city conquered … need to get to that second city, quickly.

Dummy took 6 cards.

ROUND 5, TURN 2.

Hand: 3 wounds, Flame Wall, Instinct, Regeneration, Ambush, Tranquility (+2 bonus cards due to being on or adjacent to a city of which I am the leader of).
Source: red, red, green

THOUGHTS: The plan for the rest of the round is to lick my wounds, recruit another unit, and get closer to the next city I need to conquer. I also need to nab one more fame to collect another advanced action card and a skill. I would have loved to recruit the Catapults in the City but I don’t have enough influence. So I will hang out this turn in the city and try and get rid of some cards and try and recruit next turn.

MOVE: Used green mana from the source to power up Regeneration and ready my level III Sorcerers and use the Heal 2 to heal the Shocktroops. I then used Tranquility to throw away one of my three wounds.

Dummy took 6 cards, has 8 left.

ROUND 5, TURN 3.

Hand: 3 wounds, Ice Bolt, Ambush, Flame Wall, Instinct, Threaten
Source: red, red, white

THOUGHTS: I’ll be able to get the Catapults but at the cost of a card played sideways, and a reputation.

MOVE: Powered up Threaten with red mana from the source for 5 influence (-1 reputation), added 2 from Instinct, 1 from being the leader of the city and Ice bolt played sideways for 9 influence to recruit the Catapults from the Unit Offer.

Dummy drew 6, two cards left. I will have 3 turns left this round.

ANALYSIS: Unlucky with the Dummy draw. Dummy has 3 green crystals and three white, one red and no blue. The Dummy has hit the green or white, all three draws. I need time, and this is not helping.

ROUND 5, TURN 4:

Hand: 4 wounds, Stamina, Ambush, Flame Wall, Cold Toughness
Source: green, red, white

THOUGHTS: The wounds are starting to pile up having 4 in my hand and only 1 remaining in the 13 cards left in my Deed Deck. That is unlucky. I am getting a little nervous now that I need to get moving.

MOVE:
1. Used Double Time to move to Monastery.
2. Used green mana from the source and played the stronger Ambush, giving 4 movement points, and +2 on my first attack card of any kind or +4 block.
3. Used 2 of the move points to explore and reveal Tile *8*, two Draconum (A Dragon Summoner and a Swamp Dragon).
4. Forfeited the attack and the extra two movement points and paid Stamina and Cold Toughness sideways for two influence and healed one wound at the Monastery.

ANALYSIS: Made a mistake playing powered up Ambush. I had hoped I could use the extra movement, but I should have known better given that these core tiles are usually packed with dense terrain and rampaging enemies that slow down movement. I should have played Stamina’s basic power for the two movement points and saved the mana and the Ambush card. Had I done that, I might have been able to take out the Dragon Summoner using my Catapults, Sorcerers and Shocktroops. I decided to get rid of a wound and thin out my hand allowing me to draw 4 cards to fill my hand.

Dummy drew its remaining 2 cards and will declare end of round next turn.

ROUND 5, TURN 5.

HAND: Rage, Swiftness, Flame Wall, Crystallize, Mana Draw, 3 wounds
Source: red, blue, white

THOUGHTS: I can take out the Dragon Summoner, but it will be hard work.

MOVE:
1. Played Mana Draw to get two draws from the source.
2. Used white mana from the source to use the inefficient Ranged attack of 3 (1.5).
3. Used the inefficient Ranged Attack power of 1 from the Shocktroops (.5), and the +1 attack to all other units that attack this turn.
4. Used blue mana from the source to use Siege Ice Attack from the Catapults (+1) due to the Shocktroops power ( equals +6) to kill the Dragon Summoner (+9 Fame, +2 Reputation).
5. Discarded Rage.
6. Took Inspiration from the Common Skill Offer over Mana Overload or Cold Swordsmanship.
7. Forced to take Temporal Portal as my Advanced Action since I chose from the Common Skill Offer.

ANALYSIS: Able to take out the Dragon Summoner before it could attack me with two summoned monsters, a big plus. Now I can move to the space where the Summoner was so that I don’t have to contend with the other Draconum if I were forced to attack the Red City from a space next to the Draconum. Temporal Portal will probably not help, but it does help me increase the cards in my hand. Inspiration will allow me to ready a unit next turn, an almost certain vital skill when I attack the Red City.

Dummy declares end of round.

ROUND 5, TURN 6.

Hand: Crystallize, Flame Wall, 3 wounds, Temporal Portal, Concentration, March
Source: red, blue, white

THOUGHTS: Lots of options. I could move next to the City, see what I will be facing, and maybe even get an attack in. I could also disband level 1 Peasants and recruit Magic Familiars, or Ice Mages. I could purchase an Advanced Action from the Monastery (Pure Magic or Counter Attack), or I could play it safe and throw away the three wounds currently in my hand by playing 6 influence at the Monastery.

MOVE:
1. Played Inspiration Skill to ready the Illusionists and used its power to put a white mana crystal in my inventory.
2. Played blue mana from the source to use the stronger Crystallize power to put a red crystal in my inventory.
3. Purchased 2 heals using Temporal Portal, March, Concentration and Flame Wall sideways for 4 Influence points to throw away two wounds.

ANALYSIS: I played it safe. I have spells and units that require mana to operate so I wanted to get a couple of crystals in my inventory. I could actually use crystals of all colors but I settled on white and red; white because the Sorcerers, Illusionists and two spells use white, and red because of Flame Wall and the Catapult powers. The only real decision was whether to use the Illusionists to heal the third wound or get the crystal, and I chose the latter. Unfortunately, I could only come up with 5 Influence points with the 4 sideways cards and the +1 from reputation so I couldn’t heal that final wound. I’ll have 2 wounds in my deck for the final round.

END OF ROUND.

FINAL ROUND 5 STATS:

+1 reputation
71 Fame
4 Advanced Action Cards: Ice Bolt, Regeneration, Ambush, Temporal Portal
3 spells: Whirlwind, Expose, Flame Wall
5 (7) shields: adventure site, 2 keeps, mage tower, Blue City (3) (MISTAKE, see below)
Inventory: 2 crystals (red, white)
Skills: Double Time,
10 revealed tiles
Blue City conquered, Red City revealed
Units controlled: Peasants, Shocktroops, Illusionists, Sorcerers, Catapults
2 wounds.

MISTAKE: Reading through FAQ I just saw that I get a shield on a conquered city for each enemy I destroy, meaning I should have had 3 shields on the Blue City. I get +1 influence for each shield which would have allowed me to throw away that last wound or maybe recruit more easily.

FINAL COMMENTS ROUND 5: I was lucky to pull the city tile of the two that were remaining to save me the trouble of having to move through another tile to get to the city. I have 26 cards in my deck to 21 for the dummy so I can’t count on more than 5 or 6 turns in this round. I am going to have to hurry.

ROUND 6, TURN 1

Opening Draw: Ice Bolt, Whirlwind, Stamina, Crystallize, Concentration, wound
Source: gold, blue, green

THOUGHTS: Well, 2 wounds out of 26 cards, and one shows up in the first draw of 6, not great luck. Haven’t seen the Tome of All Spells in a while now. At least I pulled out one spell. I also have Crystallize to be able to put another crystal in my inventory. As for Tactics, I had only one option, Long Night, since the other option was From the Dusk (1). That isn’t bad however, given that this tactic will allow me to refill my deck with 3 cards later in the round, but I am worried that the Dummy deck will empty quickly hurting my chances of winning this game.

Dummy drew 6 cards.

MOVE:
1. Played Crystallize using blue mana from the source to gain a green crystal to my inventory.
2. Used +1 reputation plus Stamina sideways for +1 influence to throw away a wound.
3. Then I took the move back and instead played green mana from the source to get a green crystal leaving the blue.
4. At least this way, I will have access to all possible mana colors (except black) next turn.

ANALYSIS: Taking a chance here. Theoretically, the dummy has a 50% chance of drawing 6 cards (if the 3rd card is green or white) and a 50% chance of drawing 4 cards (if the 3rd card is blue or red). I was on the wrong side of 50% for the first draw. But, by staying at the monastery rather than moving I was able to discard Stamina sideways and utilize my +1 reputation to get rid of that wound. But more importantly, by finishing my turn still next to my Blue City, I can draw up to 8 cards for the next turn, which was the main reason for delaying a turn. Also, played Crystallize to get another crystal, so now I have access to white, red and green. Hopefully the dummy will cooperate on turn 2, because that always happens, right?? ;-)

ROUND 6, TURN 2

Hand: March, Ice Bolt, Whirlwind, Concentration, Stamina, Expose, Rage, Mana Draw

THOUGHTS: I’m in pretty good shape, I just need the dummy to cooperate. Whirlwind and Expose can do some damage for me and I could produce two white mana if needed using Mana draw and/or my Illusionists and inventory. But where oh where is that Tome of Spells? Nonetheless, time to move toward the Red City and see what awaits.

Dummy drew 4 cards, 11 cards left, I should have 4 or 5 turns left.

MOVE:
1. Played March and Stamina regular power to move the 4 points into the Wasteland next to the Red City revealing as my foes: 2 Gunners, a Medusa, and Magic Familiars.
2. Used a ton of analysis time now to come up with the following:
a. Played the move option from Peasants to assault the Red City (-1 Reputation).
b. Used white mana crystal from my inventory to use the strong Mana Draw power to take the gold die from the source, set it to black, and get two black mana tokens. (It only says I cannot set a die to gold, black is not gold, so I hope I can do this … but I don’t see why not).
c. Used Illusionist power to provide a white crystal to my inventory, combined that with a black token, to play the spell Mass Expose.
d. Chose the Mass Expose option to remove all fortifications from the enemies this combat, plus ranged attack 3.
e. Played Shocktroops Ranged Attack 1, plus all Units gain +1 to all their attacks this turn, used the +3 ranged attack from Mass Expose to eliminate the Medusa (+5 fame).
f. Used red mana crystal from inventory to use Siege Fire Attack power from Catapults (+5) and the extra +1 from Shocktroops ability to get +6 and eliminate one of the Gunners (+7 fame).
g. Finally used Sorcerers Ranged Attack Power (+3), +1 from Shocktroops and green mana from the source to power up Concentration to play the strong Ice Bolt power for +3 (+2 extra for concentration) = +5/2 due to inefficiency to add to the +4 from the Sorcerers to eliminate the other Gunner (+7 fame).
h. In Melee phase, blocked one of the two attacks from the Familiars with Rage (2) and Whirlwind played sideways, took the brutal second attack of 6 damage and assigned two wounds to my hero.
i. +19 fame moves me to 90 Fame and Level 9, allowing me another slot for a recruit and a 7 card hand.

ANALYSIS: Wow, what complex turn and oh so many different ways to have played it! But having destroyed 3 of the 4 enemies and the weakest one, in my opinion remaining, I should be able to win the game next turn. I thought about taking both hits from the Familiars for 4 wounds rather than wasting the Whirlwind on a sideways block. Next turn, I could have eliminated the Familiars by using black mana from the source (Mana Draw required that I return the black die unrolled to the source), a white crystal from the Illusionists (readied by the Inspiration Skill) to cast Tornado from the Whirlwind card to instantly kill the Familiars. But I could have only done that in the Attack phase of combat so I would have had to risk more potential wounds from the Familiars first. I will be drawing 5 cards next turn to go with my 2 wounds. I have to think that I can come up with something to take out the Familiars without the Tornado, particularly since I can use Inspiration to ready my Catapults.

ROUND 6, TURN 3.

HAND: 2 wounds, Flame Wall, Swiftness, March, Tome of All Spells, Promise.
Source: black, blue, green

THOUGHTS: The Tome of All Spells to the rescue! That will do it!

Dummy drew 6 cards, 5 left.

MOVE:
1. Played the Inspiration Skill to ready the Catapults.
2. Played Double time and Promise Sideways to assault the City (-1 Reputation).
3. Played Tome of All Spells and the green March card to activate Tremor from the Spell Offer which drops the target enemy Magic Familiar defense from 7 to 4.
4. Use blue mana from the source to activate Siege Ice Attack from the Catapults to eliminate the Familiars (+5 fame).

ANALYSIS: Victory is mine! It is so nice on those rare occasions when the cards and mana dice line up just the right way. I now have one final turn according to the rules.

ROUND 6, TURN 4.

HAND: Threaten, Temporal Portal, Swiftness, Rage, Cold Toughness, Swiftness, Flame Wall, 2 wounds.
Source: green, green, black

THOUGHTS: Now its all about maximizing points. Do I heal two wounds to save the loss of 4 points? Do I attempt to attack the adjacent Swamp Dragon for +7 fame points and another Advanced Action Card (+1 fame)? Do I go to the ancient ruins and attempt to defeat a grey enemy and a white enemy for fame, a skill and an artifact?

By rule, Dummy player does not take a turn.

MOVE: Used Threaten (2) and Temporal Portal and Swiftness played sideways for 4 influence total to throw away the two wound cards.

ANALYSIS: No luck at all on this last turn. I finished the round with Ambush, Instinct, Tranquility and Regeneration still in my Deed deck that would have maybe provided a combination that could have taken on the Swamp Dragon. Any two of those cards would have done it. But it wasn’t to be and I could only heal on this last turn.

END OF ROUND, END OF SCENARIO.

FINAL STATS

0 reputation
95 Fame (+95)
4 Advanced Action Cards: Ice Bolt, Regeneration, Ambush, Temporal Portal. (+4)
1 Artifact: Tome of all Spells. (+2)
3 spells: Whirlwind, Expose, Flame Wall. (+6)
11 shields: adventure site (+2), 2 keeps (+4), Mage Tower (+2).
Inventory: none
Blue City conquered (+10), Red City conquered (+10)
Both Cities conquered (+15)
Units controlled: Peasants (I), Shocktroops (II), Illusionists (II), Sorcerers (III), Catapults (III) = (+11)
1 wound. (-2)

Did not finish the game before final round = 0 points

5 cards left in Dummy Deed Deck at game’s end = (+5)

End of round had not been announced at game end = (+5)

FINAL SCORE = 169 POINTS.

FINAL COMMENTS:

Ultimately, I think this was a fairly clean game. I made a few mistakes, none in my opinion earth shattering, and most of which I caught myself or were pointed out to me and I was able to retroactively fix a few. It ended up being a fairly good game for me, only the second time I have won in about 10 plays.

For those of who have commented, provided suggestions, pointed out mistakes … thank you very much! I don’t know how useful or interesting this has been for anyone who had the perseverance to read through it, but I hope it was somewhat helpful. Nonetheless, I enjoyed putting it together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
STRATEGY: It would be nice to move toward the ancient ruins and keep but I don’t think I have enough to take on so much right off the bat. I decided to take the Planning tactic to have 6 cards in my hand rather than taking the often used Great Start tactic. Unfortunately, the Dummy took Great Start so that tactic is lost to me for this game.

There's something here that just sounds very wrong. Tactics cards recycle every day/night, but you say that Great Start is "lost to you." It's not. When you hit the next Day round, all 6 tactics cards will be available again.

In turn 1:

albcann wrote:
MOVE: Power up March with green mana from the source and use Instinct to move 6 and get through two forests and adjacent to the orc tracker.

You should have fought the Orc Tracker immediately here - you waited for the second round. But moving next to a rampaging enemy makes them attack you right away.

BTW - the English word that they use for MK is "rampaging," not "marauding." It's not a big deal, but could confuse someone in a discussion.

In turn 5:

Quote:
Not much to do here with only three cards in my hand. I used Stamina, powered by a blue mana from the source and explored a tile to reveal tile 4, a marauding orc (warbeast) right next to me...

Again, this triggers a fight immediately. Exploring in your very last turn can be dangerous for this reason.

In the same turn:

Quote:
Dummy drew its last card and will declare end of round next turn, meaning that I have two turns left at most.

This is incorrect. If the dummy draws at least one card, then it does not declare end of round. This might not be a very big deal, but you never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brave soul, chronicling MK as your first effort! Let the nitpicking begin! wow

BTW, if you add the word "medium" in the image tag, it will show up a little bit bigger and easier to see. Quote this entry to see how it is done:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdarnold wrote:
Brave soul, chronicling MK as your first effort! Let the nitpicking begin! wow

He's been asking a great deal of rules questions lately, so I suspect he'll actually appreciate the corrections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken -- thanks for taking the time to help, however I disagree with your rules interpretations. Someone please correct me if I am still wrong.

When playing SOLO CONQUEST under Special Rules second bullet: "At the end of each Day or Night, remove both used Tactic cards from the game. That means, each Tactic card is picked exactly once during the game."

I believe you are thinking about competitive play, not solo play when you talk of recycling Tactic cards.

As far as rampaging enemies is concerned, it is my understanding that combat is provoked only if a MK moves from a space next to a rampaging enemy to another space adjacent to that same rampaging enemy. Simply moving next to that enemy does not provoke an attack, so I can move away safely as long as that next space I move to does not land next to that rampaging enemy.

Albann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I posted ... so I could have my nits picked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
Quote:
STRATEGY: It would be nice to move toward the ancient ruins and keep but I don’t think I have enough to take on so much right off the bat. I decided to take the Planning tactic to have 6 cards in my hand rather than taking the often used Great Start tactic. Unfortunately, the Dummy took Great Start so that tactic is lost to me for this game.

There's something here that just sounds very wrong. Tactics cards recycle every day/night, but you say that Great Start is "lost to you." It's not. When you hit the next Day round, all 6 tactics cards will be available again.

In turn 1:

albcann wrote:

You should have fought the Orc Tracker immediately here - you waited for the second round. But moving next to a rampaging enemy makes them attack you right away.

BTW - the English word that they use for MK is "rampaging," not "marauding." It's not a big deal, but could confuse someone in a discussion.

In turn 5:

Quote:
Not much to do here with only three cards in my hand. I used Stamina, powered by a blue mana from the source and explored a tile to reveal tile 4, a marauding orc (warbeast) right next to me...

Again, this triggers a fight immediately. Exploring in your very last turn can be dangerous for this reason.

In the same turn:

Quote:

This is incorrect. If the dummy draws at least one card, then it does not declare end of round. This might not be a very big deal, but you never know.

I think I did this correctly, Ken. I said that the "Dummy drew its last card and will declare end of round NEXT TURN, not this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. i didn't read your whole session, but the "nit picks" ken pulled out... you did correctly. Ken got them wrong, and your responses were exactly correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albcann wrote:
Ken -- thanks for taking the time to help, however I disagree with your rules interpretations. Someone please correct me if I am still wrong.

When playing SOLO CONQUEST under Special Rules second bullet: "At the end of each Day or Night, remove both used Tactic cards from the game. That means, each Tactic card is picked exactly once during the game."

I believe you are thinking about competitive play, not solo play when you talk of recycling Tactic cards.

As far as rampaging enemies is concerned, it is my understanding that combat is provoked only if a MK moves from a space next to a rampaging enemy to another space adjacent to that same rampaging enemy. Simply moving next to that enemy does not provoke an attack, so I can move away safely as long as that next space I move to does not land next to that rampaging enemy.

Albann

Right you are. Tactics cards are not recycled and rampaging enemies are only invoked if you move from one adjacent space to another. Just moving adjacent doesn't make them mad. Taunting them does

We can also nitpick the nitpicks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albcann wrote:

I should have checked the scenario rules - you're correct.

Quote:
As far as rampaging enemies is concerned...

...it would appear we've been playing this wrong, oh, forever. LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
albcann wrote:

Quote:

Ain't that just the Mage Knight way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albcann wrote:
I think I did this correctly, Ken. I said that the "Dummy drew its last card and will declare end of round NEXT TURN, not this turn.

Here, I just misread you. But you're right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
albcann wrote:

Quote:

arrrh

Glad I could help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
albcann wrote:

Quote:

My favorite Mage Knight activity is to play with others who have played a lot. We discover all the rules we each got wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing! meeple

For what is worth, I seldom pick "Great Start", almost never, as I'll most probably go second in turn order. I find the extra turn much more useful, especially vs Volkare, where every turn counts. "Rethink" is usually my Day 1 tactic, to find the movement cards I need. Should I have a great hand, I either pick "Mana Steal", if it will help me achieve a turn #1 kill + level up or just "Early Bird" to remove the tactic and increase my chances of starting first in the next rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The nit picking of nits in this thread makes me LOL.

Thank you for all of it though. We can all learn something here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips, Jorge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jorge that Great Start is rarely good on turn 1. The two extra cards are only useful if you need them on the very first turn, and those occasions are very rare at the very start of the game. It is much better if you start a day next to a city and use the two extra cards to attack it.

Unlike Jorge, I often try to take Planning on day 1. You usually draw an extra card with it, and that extra card is especially useful on day 1 when your deck is still weak. Rethink is obviously great when you have little or no movement and depending on the map and my draw, I sometimes also take Early Bird or Mana Steal. I think Early Bird is nest when the starting map is rather empty and no difficult sites are in sight.

For your game, I would be very tempted to go for the keep, especially if there is a unit there for hire (I couldn't tell from your post). You have a very good hand for fighting, so I would have taken Planning, used March to move next to the keep, and depending on what I see there, I might attack it right away, but more likely, I would crystallize something and attack it next turn with a six card hand. Depending on if I find a good unit there and get a good hand again, I might be tempted to actually tackle the ruins next to it. It can be painful, but doable with Ice Bolt and a unit in the mix. If it works out you are guaranteed level 3 and have two units, that's a fantastic start. The rest of the day would be spent exploring a tile and possibly healing a wound or two at the glade, possibly killing the orcs next to it.

This is a rather risky plan, but the rewards can be great. The downside is that exploration would be a lot slower than it is with your approach. I would look out for some more movement to speed up exploration, as my goal is to reveal the first Core tile on day 2 so I can recruit gold unnits on night 2.
It seems like the first round went well for you anyway, and I am looking forward to reading the rest of your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
albcann wrote:

I used Stamina, powered by a blue mana from the source and explored a tile to reveal tile 4, a marauding orc (warbeast) right next to me, and a Mage Tower. I moved the extra 2 movement points to get next to the Mage Tower to reveal Magic Familiars.

I'm not sure I understand this one - you explored while sitting on the Ruin, revealing an adjacent War Beast? Then to get to beside the Mage Tower, you would need to move adjacent to the War Beasts again? They are rampaging, so should have attacked you at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Steve ... I believe you are correct, I should have provoked the warbeast. Surprised I made that mistake because that is an obvious rule, but I did. Thanks for pointing it out!

albcann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the analysis ... thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
Unlike Jorge, I often try to take Planning on day 1. You usually draw an extra card with it, and that extra card is especially useful on day 1 when your deck is still weak.
You are raising fair points on Planning. In the standard city conquest scenario, maybe you will get more use out of it, where you won't mind prolonging the round as long as possible, to take advantage of the extra card. You just have to hope that the dummy player won't speed through its deck, which won't easily happen on turn 1, as there are only 3 crystals in its inventory.

Nevertheless, I am usually playing the Volkare scenarios, where time is precious and it's a huge deal to rush through and not let Volkare take an extra turn. Unlike the city conquest scenarios, where you won't mind prolonging the round as long as possible, with Volkare you've got to rush. And rushing means playing as much from your hand as possible, thus you won't get much out of Planning. What is more, you'll more often than not go second with Planning, which is a big deal with Volkare. In city conquest scenarios, it's the dummy player who usually declares the end of round; here it's you. On the other hand, I find to get much more use out of Planning when I do have an already large hand, as it's easier to remain with two unplayed cards.

TL;DR; Planning on Day 1 might be a decent choice in the standard city conquest scenarios, but I feel it's much less useful in Volkare scenarios, where time is precious. In competitive scenarios, it really depends on your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Jorge:
I think I agree with you that Planning is weaker against Volkare. Though I own Lost Legion, I tend to play more Solo Conquest, so my mind may be more tied to that scenario.

@Al:
Did you forget the physical resistance of the Ice Golems in the Mage Tower? It sounds like you killed them with just 4 attack from Instinct.
Anyway, I am looking forward to the next round!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Henning ... it looks like you caught me! Damn ... as well as I think I have learned this game, it is so easy to overlook something.

I'll get that round up! Glad to see someone is interested!

Albann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to be a spoilsport, but... it seems like you placed the tile with the blue city on the coast line. Unfortunately, that is illegal for all Core tiles. It's a rule I overlooked for at least my first 10 plays.

Also, you shouldn't have 8 cards when you attacked the blue city since you weren't next to your keep, you were next to the mage tower.

Still a great read, and I'm looking forward to the rest of it. I don't think you will have too many problems winning from that position, the only concern might be a lack of crystals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.