GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Roads & Boats» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mine Help Needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
X X

Some
msg tools
I am totally new to this game but I thought I would try it so I purchased the game and add-on.

Would someone be so kind as to walk me though how mines are intended to work in this game?

I have read and reread the rules but I still have not quite understood the rules regarding mines.

I need complete help here. So, from selecting a mine (how do you know which one to choose?), why do they have to go in those little bags (is there another way to not use the bags?), using a mine, re-supplying a mine, etc, would someone tell me how and why they work the way they do?

Is there a complete FAQ for this game?

Thank you for the help.

Faithful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
The mines are simply intended to be a minor random element in the game.

I don't have the rules sitting in front of me, but the way they work is simple:

1) Choose any mine you want, the number doesn't matter.

2) Grab the little baggie with that mine's number on it

3) Load the baggie with the proper mix of material (I think it's a 3/3 split base, but then technology advances can allow you to alter the mix).

4) You're ready to go.

Each round, the mine belches out 1 piece of material at random from the bag.

The idea is fairly straight-forward, you know that such and such is in the mine, but you're not sure exactly what order it's going to come out in. That's why the specialty mine advance can be useful, you can guarantee heavy concentrations of certain material.

When you re-load the mine, you simply add whatever mix of material that you are allowed to / choose to to the currently existing bag. In other words, if there is still a piece of gold left in the bag, then the new material will join that piece of gold in there.

Technically, you don't need to use the baggies, you could do anything to randomize the goods for each individual mine. The problem is that if you just stack them up, you need to pick up the pile and randomize it each time. Also, several mines next to each other would result in a potential disaster if casual chit piles fell over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:

When you re-load the mine, you simply add whatever mix of material that you are allowed to / choose to to the currently existing bag. In other words, if there is still a piece of gold left in the bag, then the new material will join that piece of gold in there.

Technically, you don't need to use the baggies, you could do anything to randomize the goods for each individual mine. The problem is that if you just stack them up, you need to pick up the pile and randomize it each time. Also, several mines next to each other would result in a potential disaster if casual chit piles fell over.

Michael has it right. Basically, if you build a mine, you stock it as your choice of:

* Default: 3 G, 3 I
* Specialized Mines Researched: 4 G or 4 I
* Large Mines Researched: 5 G and 5 I

Redrilling a mine adds to whatever is there, and they are randomized again.

The only caviet is a single player game: They do not come out random. In single player, if # G >= # I, then you get G. Only if I > G do you get iron.

We don't like to use the baggies. We usually just randomize the chits and place them face down on the tile. Yes, you could get the chit piles falling over, but it is rare that you have more than 5 in a pile. (Usually 6 to start, and an immediate production on the next round.) We typically don't have too much of a problem with it, and I find it easier than using the bags. We still use the mine pillars, though.

Sterling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael hit it on the head! Another thing....don't get frustrated! The game can bea bit daughnting in the beginning but is a brilliant game!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD wrote:
Michael hit it on the head! Another thing....don't get frustrated! The game can bea bit daughnting in the beginning but is a brilliant game!!!!
Stop it. Your making me want to go start up another online game. I want to play this more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X

Some
msg tools
Wow! What a helpful lot you all are. I was expecting to wait days to hopefully get one or two replies; this is so wonderful.

I thank you all for the help as I try to learn this game. I am playing "A River Runs Through It" and am learning but I am sure I have not done everything correctly.

I have several other questions, but not sure if I should start a new thread and keep this one about mines only.

Thank you all for the help, because of this I now have my first mine in place!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would recommend a new thread. It is easier at the moment to just continue here, but I routinely use the Rules forums for games for reference when something comes up, and having them labelled well with useful information as to what rules questions are resolved is very very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.