Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
48 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Bridge of Sighs - A Print and Play Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Cort
msg tools

I've been really enjoying the LCG so far, and love how easy it is to create new stories with the system FF has created. I've had a lot of fun crafting a little scenario over the last few weeks, and wanted to share it with the community!

I've tested the scenario with a solo investigator, but I want to know how other people feel about it. All you have to do to play is print the PDF, cut out the cards, and fold them in half. All of the encounter cards are drawn from the base game to cut down on the printing required. Let me know how your sessions go! If anything looks off, like typos or formatting, or feels off, I really want to know so that I can tune this scenario into a real nice place.

Print and Play PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1xkfMmTi10eQmlBak4xS3pPa0E...
(Print at home, cut, fold, and sleeve!)

Individual Image Files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1xkfMmTi10eYW5XQmxBOFJ2dnc...
(For use with printing services)
28 
 Thumb up
8.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Boon
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hope to try this this weekend. Only comment, but that's just me: folding cards at the bottom instead of on the side seems easier (for getting them into sleeves).

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Van Langenhove
msg tools
Nice job on the look of the cards! Really nice art. (havent read anything yet, spoilers, so thats the only thing i can judge so far

Leaving a bit of space down the middle would make it easier to cut out the cards. (more cuts to make however you would have a little buffer for cuts that are slightly off)

Similarly to the above poster I wonder what the best place for the fold would be. Since sleeves are generally top loaded the top will be the weakest part of the sleeve in terms of rigidity. For this reason I suspect it might be best to put the fold at the top of the card.

However there is also something to be said for making the fold on the long side as this is a larger join between the halves and might be better for stability of the card halves slipping out of place.

Ultimately I suspect the difference will be minor in decent sleeves.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cort
msg tools
Thank you! I can't really take any credit. Strange Eons is a really awesome program that makes designing the cards super easy.

I had been thinking the horizontal join was better than the vertical for stability, but you're right that it might be better for sleeves the other way around. For the next version I'll rearrange the sheets!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ddavbro Ddavbro
France
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Ben for this nice scenario!
I've just tried it out and I really like the flavour of it, the atmosphere of pervading fear.
I do have a couple of questions though:

1°) I had a bit of trouble trying to layout all the locations as it seems some locations connect to two other locations. But I could not decide what way to put them. But maybe I was a bit tired also...!

2°) About "The Living Id": if it cannot be damaged or defeated, can it be evaded?

3°) About the "aloof" status: once the action moves to Agenda 2a, do the townsfolk lose the aloof status. I assumed that they do, especially given the flavour text on Agenda 2a... Was I right?

4°) I managed to save all but one Townsfolk. In that case, what happens as far as the Act is concerned? Do we advance, or not?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1) try ☝ disposition above
2) thematically you cannot harm it but you can flee it
3) they lose the status
4) you can advance Act only if you saved all 6 Citizens
(sorry for the poor pic...)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cort
msg tools
Ddavbro wrote:
Thanks Ben for this nice scenario!
I've just tried it out and I really like the flavour of it, the atmosphere of pervading fear.
I do have a couple of questions though:

1°) I had a bit of trouble trying to layout all the locations as it seems some locations connect to two other locations. But I could not decide what way to put them. But maybe I was a bit tired also...!

2°) About "The Living Id": if it cannot be damaged or defeated, can it be evaded?

3°) About the "aloof" status: once the action moves to Agenda 2a, do the townsfolk lose the aloof status. I assumed that they do, especially given the flavour text on Agenda 2a... Was I right?

4°) I managed to save all but one Townsfolk. In that case, what happens as far as the Act is concerned? Do we advance, or not?

I'm so glad you had fun! Thank you for testing it out. Let me try to answer your questions. Spoiler tags because...well...spoilers!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
1) I set up the board as two "loops." The Woodhaven locations and the Train Station make a circle (Train Station -> Diner -> Antique Shop -> Library -> Bank -> Train Station). The Bridge of Sighs and outer locations also form a circle (Bridge -> Ramsey Farm -> Deep Forest -> Ancient Thicket -> Bridge). And then the Bridge and Train Station join in the middle! I wanted all the setup to fit onto one card, but maybe I should just make a Google Doc with the instructions and a diagram?

2) Yes it can!

3) Yeah, they do! Do you think it would be helpful to add something like "all Townsfolk lose Aloof" to Agenda 1b?

4) Good result! You wouldn't advance, kind of like in Midnight Masks. To end the game you have to Resign at the Train Station. The XP rewards for saving all 6 and advancing the Act are a little better than saving 5.

How did you feel about the difficulty of the scenario?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This scenario plays wonderfull! Happy to gave it a try but a question: in resolutions
Spoiler (click to reveal)
you allow xp just for locations, right? Do I gain Townsfolk xp only by killing them?


And, just to let you know, I managed to rescue all 6!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cort
msg tools
giulibartolucci1204 wrote:
This scenario plays wonderfull! Happy to gave it a try but a question: in resolutions
Spoiler (click to reveal)
you allow xp just for locations, right? Do I gain Townsfolk xp only by killing them?


And, just to let you know, I managed to rescue all 6!

Nice result! Thank you for the playtest and the kind words.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I actually should remove the Victory from the Townsfolk, as they don't do anything right now! The idea is that you don't get XP for killing a few of them and rescuing a few others. You do get a special resolution if you kill all of them though! I'll remove the Victory from them and clean up the Resolution text for the next version.

And congrats on the ending! Hmm...people are doing very well so far! Do you think it should be a little harder?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
what I see is a little "closed" map, where you can reach even far a location in small "time"...I clue-pillaged the town following circular paths, repeating the same pattern parlaying to citizens (5 saved before the ID spawning)
...maybe some dead-ends copuld help
but anyway GREAT JOB!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ddavbro Ddavbro
France
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for answering my questions so quickly!
I think it would indeed be helpful to add a clear instruction as to the Aloofness of the townsfolk on Agenda 1b. At first, I thought I would kill some of the townsfolk using Dynamite Blast, given that they were aloof at first, which implied that they would soon no longer be so. But I refrained from this deadly impulse, thinking that something else was amiss and that I could need the blast later on.
As far as the difficulty is concerned, I did not feel it to be particularly difficult. I played on Easy mode with Roland and Jenny.
Maybe a little bit more difficulty would spice things up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ddavbro Ddavbro
France
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Giuliano for your input!
Thanks for the pic too!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ddavbro wrote:
Thanks Giuliano for your input!
Thanks for the pic too!

You're welcome!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work, thanks.

Scenario has been added to Geeklist:
Arkham Horror LCG - Fanmade Scenarios


Also, please consider uploading the file to the Files section for Arkham Horror LCG:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205637/arkham-horror-car...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played it today and i gotta admit this is the best fan scenario so far. It comes with fresh, clever mechanics which create great atmosphere.

Some locations seem to have different directions on its front and rear side. This may be an error ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
I can't find Agend 2B anywhere ? Is it missing or am I suposed to advance to Agenda 3A without flipping Agenda 2A to 2B first ? Also the card where the info for what the symbles tokens should do on hard and expert difficulty don't have anything printed on it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cort
msg tools
yeeshkul wrote:
We've played it today and i gotta admit this is the best fan scenario so far. It comes with fresh, clever mechanics which create great atmosphere.

Some locations seem to have different directions on its front and rear side. This may be an error ...

You're so kind! Thank you very much. If you don't mind, what resolution did you guys get and how hard did you think it was? I'm leaning towards tweaking the difficulty up a bit for the next version.

And yes, I know the Diner has a mistake on the backside. Oops! Did you find any others?

DakonBlackblade wrote:
I can't find Agend 2B anywhere ? Is it missing or am I suposed to advance to Agenda 3A without flipping Agenda 2A to 2B first ? Also the card where the info for what the symbles tokens should do on hard and expert difficulty don't have anything printed on it.

Ah yes, I haven't actually played the game on hard or expert ever, so I wasn't sure about the modifiers. I'll definitely put them in for the next version!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Agenda 2b is the card adjacent to Agenda 2a, The Living Id enemy! It's like the Hunter cultist in Midnight Masks. Unfortunately with print and play it's hard to keep it a surprise, but if you play with other people you can stay mum about it and let them experience it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben check all the locations. The directions seem to be messed up.

Antique shop, Diner and Library, all have different directions front/rear.
Also re-check the moving patterns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, many locations have a set number of clues. I suppose this is intentional, and won't lead into problems when more investigators play the game. Just a thought
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cort
msg tools
yeeshkul wrote:
Ben check all the locations. The directions seem to be messed up.

Antique shop, Diner and Library, all have different directions front/rear.
Also re-check the moving patterns.

Thank you! I switched the town from being completely open to being a circle, and clearly forgot the backs. Definitely will get fixed in the update. For now, the connections on the unlocked side should be the ones to follow!

The set number of clues is to encourage investigators to split up when playing in a larger group while still allowing a solo investigator to have enough clues to win.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
For example, as a solo you can commit to either the town or the forest, depending on the resolution you want. But in larger groups I wanted to encourage investigators not to all go in the same direction and not make use of the map. I thiiiink the number of clues should scale okay, but if you run into any difficulties with higher investigator counts let me know!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, thank you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Foster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This looks good.

Would it be possible to get the cards as jpgs?
I get mine printed, and the PDF is set up oddly, so I can't split out the images correctly.

Thanks,
Steve
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
foznoth wrote:
This looks good.

Would it be possible to get the cards as jpgs?
I get mine printed, and the PDF is set up oddly, so I can't split out the images correctly.

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry for the aside, but can I ask: where do you use for printing?

Asking as you're a fellow Brit and may know a good service that doesn't need to come from the US (as my past prints have).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rushforth
msg tools
Am I missing something? Have printed the scenario but cannot find reverse of card Agenda 2b and a monster card back. It may be I need see an optician
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Foster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
JudgementDave wrote:
foznoth wrote:
This looks good.

Would it be possible to get the cards as jpgs?
I get mine printed, and the PDF is set up oddly, so I can't split out the images correctly.

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry for the aside, but can I ask: where do you use for printing?

Asking as you're a fellow Brit and may know a good service that doesn't need to come from the US (as my past prints have).


No problem.
This time was makeplayingcards.com, before I have used printerstudio.com.
Both print in China. I've not found a printer in the UK at the same price or ease of use.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.