Starving Artists» Forums » Rules

Subject: Morning vs Afternoon actions: Restrictions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jill C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
The player guide makes a point of showing morning and afternoon actions. When a player takes their two actions per round, are there any restrictions on the order of the three available actions? Can actions be taken more than once (such as painting twice in a round)? The confusing part is that if I take 3 paint cubes it says they are not available for me to use (an afternoon action).

I feel like I played something wrong since on my first round of solo play I scored 27 points and was in the professional/highest category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fairway 3 Games
United States
Oregon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can take any actions in any order. So you could work in the morning and paint with those same cubes in the afternoon. That would be your whole day.

You could have been an awesome painter or gotten a particularly easy arrangement/timing of paintings in the queue, but were you exiting a painting each round and carrying with it all matching paints?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification!

Yes, at the end of each round I took away the end painting and all matching cubes. I just got good a sometimes waiting to sell and building up the cube lot so I could take a ton of paints in a round. I was careful to build up colors in the pot that would not get removed when the last card was removed.

Maybe beginners luck? Need to play some more (and with other people).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dapaco wrote:
Can actions be taken more than once (such as painting twice in a round)?

Can a player do this? I'm assuming you can since the rules say that on your turn you can take ANY of the following actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanders
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
dapaco wrote:
Can actions be taken more than once (such as painting twice in a round)?

Can a player do this? I'm assuming you can since the rules say that on your turn you can take ANY of the following actions.

Absolutely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairway3Games wrote:
You can take any actions in any order. So you could work in the morning and paint with those same cubes in the afternoon. That would be your whole day.

Can you please clarify something about this?

For the "take 3 paint cubes from the bag" action, it says "You cannot paint with these yet."

The tone of your answer (and the original question) has me wondering: it just says "yet."

You don't have to wait until the afternoon to paint with those cubes, do you? Can you use your second morning action (after drawing cubes for the first action) to paint with them?

Or should they be held aside until the afternoon?

And what does that mean if you draw in the afternoon if that is the case? Can they not be used until the next morning?

Thank you! Played this for the first time yesterday and it was interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
Fairway3Games wrote:

For the "take 3 paint cubes from the bag" action, it says "You cannot paint with these yet."

The tone of your answer (and the original question) has me wondering: it just says "yet."

You don't have to wait until the afternoon to paint with those cubes, do you? Can you use your second morning action (after drawing cubes for the first action) to paint with them?

And what does that mean if you draw in the afternoon if that is the case? Can they not be used until the next morning?

You only get one action per turn, not two (one in the morning turn and one in the afternoon turn), plus a chance to do one free action at any time during the "day" part of the round; then you can sell paintings at night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
hist wrote:
Fairway3Games wrote:

You only get one action per turn, not two (one in the morning turn and one in the afternoon turn), plus a chance to do one free action at any time during the "day" part of the round; then you can sell paintings at night.

Wow. That was a *major* misunderstanding of the rules.

I'm going to have to have a word with my teacher.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.