3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best Ancients Wargames! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JustNat Bros Meyer
msg tools
Hi,

I am hunting for the top Ancients Wargame!
I am referring to a set of rules for miniature Wargaming. e.g. "Hail Caesar", "De Bellis Antiquitatis", ect.

I would prefer is the rules relied on skill, unit types, formations, flanking, ect. (In other words: I DO NOT WANT A MINDLESS WARGAME WERE THE ONLY THING TO DO IS MEASURE/ROLL DICE, MEASURE/ROLL DICE, ECT.)

Please post your reccemdations below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My go to miniatures ancients is Piquet: Archon II but I don't think you'll find a copy these days.

So....my second favorite was Armati. I played De Bellis Antiquitatis but it wasn't my copy. It's good (especially the army lists) but I had Fire and Fury. This is what caused me to seek out my own set of ancients rules and Armati was what I picked because it was similar to Fire and Fury. Then Piquet came along and I liked that better.

None of these are easy to find but you may get lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation would for Swordpoint, written by Martin Gibbins and published by Gripping Beast. The rulebook has excellent visual appeal, and is written in a straight-forward and fluff-free manner. Units are generally comprised of 3-12 bases for infantry and cavalry, and can change facing and formation. The core mechanics reward historical tactics and the maintenance of a cohesive battle line. A turned flank is almost always fatal.

Commanders play a vital roll by adding to a unit's Attack and Cohesion values, as well as for rallying troops that are fleeing. The use of Momentum tokens encourages aggressive play and allows the players to attempt to influence key moments in initiative and combat. There are also a number of special rules that add appropriate historical abilities and period flavor for specific types of units. There are always plenty of engaging tactical challenges and decisions to make!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.