G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
have you seen these maps? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4204964/Stunn...

Fair enough its the daily fail so it's probally fake news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No 1. liar of Fleet Street.

Wikipedia bans Daily Mail as 'unreliable' source
Online encyclopaedia editors rule out publisher as a reference citing ‘reputation for poor fact checking and sensationalism’

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/08/wikipedia...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet it is a much smaller job to deport all the ILLEGAL immigrants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Didn't Alabama or Georgia already threaten this? Then when all the workers started leaving, the agriculture industry panicked and the state backed off...

Not saying taking advantage of those people is a good thing. We want cheap produce, but we don't want the illegals picking it; (some of us) don't want workers taken advantage of, but we don't want expensive produce!

How many natives will be willing to do those jobs, for no benefits and for low wages? Bump the wages, and offer benefits; that employer cost has to be made up for, and it'll be done by higher prices.

Produce of course is only one industry, this probably applies to any of them that use illegal workers to cut costs. It'll get interesting, for sure, if it's actually attempted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's the original Nature article the Daily Mail story was based on.

Nature article abstract:
Despite strides in characterizing human history from genetic polymorphism data, progress in identifying genetic signatures of recent demography has been limited. Here we identify very recent fine-scale population structure in North America from a network of over 500 million genetic (identity-by-descent, IBD) connections among 770,000 genotyped individuals of US origin. We detect densely connected clusters within the network and annotate these clusters using a database of over 20 million genealogical records. Recent population patterns captured by IBD clustering include immigrants such as Scandinavians and French Canadians; groups with continental admixture such as Puerto Ricans; settlers such as the Amish and Appalachians who experienced geographic or cultural isolation; and broad historical trends, including reduced north-south gene flow. Our results yield a detailed historical portrait of North America after European settlement and support substantial genetic heterogeneity in the United States beyond that uncovered by previous studies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Estimates of costs of this action is about 1-1.5 Trillion dollars

https://www.americanactionforum.org/research/the-budgetary-a...

Not to mention the horrific humanitarian nightmare in creating a refugee crisis roughly equivalent to the one caused by the Syrian war (as in moving the same amount of people)

In what logical frame is this referred to as a "smaller job"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So he gets rid of illegal immigrants AND creates jobs in a burgeoning industry of border-tossing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James David Romo
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Yea I missed where he said he would deport all immigrants.

Of course this wouldn't be so hard to get rid of the illegal ones if that last two administrations hadn't ignored encouraged the problem.

I'm trying to think of what other crime I can commit that not only does a segment of the population support breaking the law, but the government supports too.

Maybe some cities should become sanctuary cities for those who refuse to pay their federal income tax.

Marijuana possession? I mean, the feds will still go after you but state governments turn a blind eye. Technically still illegal, just decriminalized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Not to mention the horrific humanitarian nightmare in creating a refugee crisis roughly equivalent to the one caused by the Syrian war (as in moving the same amount of people)

Well, to be fair, that is a comparatively smaller job than deporting everyone without first peoples' / native american pedigree.

One of the nuances of immigration is that, despite it being "illegal" it is tacitly endorsed by nearly everyone by the way they benefit from it; lower prices on produce and services, higher margins in the private sector, etc. The hard ag jobs aren't going away; getting robots to pick strawberries is A LOT harder than building an expert AI systems that will eliminate white-collar jobs. Guess which one creates more value for the shareholders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
razordaze wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Well, to be fair, that is a comparatively smaller job than deporting everyone without first peoples' / native american pedigree.

One of the nuances of immigration is that, despite it being "illegal" it is tacitly endorsed by nearly everyone by the way they benefit from it; lower prices on produce and services, higher margins in the private sector, etc. The hard ag jobs aren't going away; getting robots to pick strawberries is A LOT harder than building an expert AI systems that will eliminate white-collar jobs. Guess which one creates more value for the shareholders.

True.

But the sad thing is you don't have to create that AI system. White collar jobs are being exported to serviced centers in India, Poland, etc. All in the name of "creating more value for the shareholders". IE, the 1%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
razordaze wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

True.

But the sad thing is you don't have to create that AI system. White collar jobs are being exported to serviced centers in India, Poland, etc. All in the name of "creating more value for the shareholders". IE, the 1%

Wasn't there a boomerang on that phenomenon? I think cheap knowledge workers aren't such a great deal when you have such difficult barriers to organization / coordination. Being on site (or at least in the same time zone) has a big impact on productivity and quality. Hence Amazon, Microsoft, etc. relying so heavily on H1Bs.

[url="http://www.zmescience.com/other/economics/china-factory-robots-03022017"]Especially after hearing about China starting to use more robotics,[/url] I'm starting to think more and more that overseas outsourcing isn't the bugaboo it's made out to be. Even if it was a good deal, expert systems on-site are (going to be) cheaper. I'm not talking about sci-fi AI here; automation, data-mining and machine learning are force magnifiers that can allow one knowledge worker to do the work of two, maybe even five of ten.

Consider Netflix. They're making really, really good content right now, and it's not luck: They've got incredibly granular data on viewing patterns, which no one has previously had access to. Which allows them to know with a much higher degree of certainty what's going to be a hit, and what's not. Hollywood doesn't have access to those kind of insights. So is it any wonder that movie theater attendance is plummeting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
razordaze wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
razordaze wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

True.

Wasn't there a boomerang on that phenomenon? I think cheap knowledge workers aren't such a great deal when you have such difficult barriers to organization / coordination. Being on site (or at least in the same time zone) has a big impact on productivity and quality. Hence Amazon, Microsoft, etc. relying so heavily on H1Bs.

[url="http://www.zmescience.com/other/economics/china-factory-robots-03022017"]Especially after hearing about China starting to use more robotics,[/url] I'm starting to think more and more that overseas outsourcing isn't the bugaboo it's made out to be. Even if it was a good deal, expert systems on-site are (going to be) cheaper. I'm not talking about sci-fi AI here; automation, data-mining and machine learning are force magnifiers that can allow one knowledge worker to do the work of two, maybe even five of ten.

Consider Netflix. They're making really, really good content right now, and it's not luck: They've got incredibly granular data on viewing patterns, which no one has previously had access to. Which allows them to know with a much higher degree of certainty what's going to be a hit, and what's not. Hollywood doesn't have access to those kind of insights. So is it any wonder that movie theater attendance is plummeting?

Easier with other knowledge workers like accounting. You can set up in service centers in the countries I mentioned before. One vendor I dealt with had their billing/receiveables out of India. I know another moving functions to Poland. Again more for the 1% less for the general population. Truly sad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
Easier with other knowledge workers like accounting. You can set up in service centers in the countries I mentioned before. One vendor I dealt with had their billing/receiveables out of India. I know another moving functions to Poland. Again more for the 1% less for the general population. Truly sad

True, I actually have a friend who works as a software engineer for an accounting company that has their accountants in India. His job is basically just to exfiltrate client data from paper and other services, and make it as difficult as possible for them to mess it up.

And then there's knowledge workers like realtors and insurance reps who have almost been replaced with websites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.