Hide
11 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Help with holding these minis. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake Neal
msg tools
Ive looked online forever without any results to my satisfaction. All i want is something that holds any mini but mainly for kingdom death while painting/priming. Seeing as how kingdom death minis don't have bases attached (I also will not be painting the bases at all) it makes my options less. And i do not want to pin them.

I don't trust myself to pin some 300+ minis coming my way without a mistake. The only other solution Ive found is blue tack. Which might work but its meant for ones with bases. I want to paint them without a base. Is blue tack strong enough to hold the minis just by there feet as there is less surface area to hold them still without a base?

The other option is clamps but then you have to clamp part of the mini hindering part of the mini from being painted.

Do i have any options left? Whats strong enough to hold a wide variety of minis, pretty much all of kingdom death. which varies wildly in size and shape. And normal minis in general aka pre based minis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
KDM
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue tack is one option that should work without bases even. You can also use double sided tape like here (does not have to be that brand in particular, that is one I know about being available in America while I am in Europe): https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Tough-Clear-Mounting-Double-S...

I have also used wood glue (white glue) to glue minis to pieces of wood for painting, and later cut them off with a sharp model knife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes, I'll paint a mini (or piece of the mini) with a piece of sprue attached. You can use alligator clips to hold the sprue.

You can also superglue or maybe glue with white glue the miniature to a pot.

It's *definitely* going to be challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Neal
msg tools
Would double sided tape actual hold them with there tiny peg legs? Also is the blue tack reusable after primer and paint get on it?

Painting them with parts of the sprue attached is something i have not considered. I suppose that could work with some of them. but based on what Ive seen of kingdom death sprues that wouldn't really be a universal solution here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's lots of options that will help you with single survivors up to most of the knights models. They're essentially all going to be about adhering or pinning the model to some kind of stick you can hold in your hand. Personally I have a set of 1" dowel rods cut to about 4" long that I use. However, these won't really help with the larger models. Once you get to the phoenix or even the gorm, it's really tough. I can only recommend designating a part of the model as your "touch zone" and painting that last. Then handling with kid gloves as you try to manipulate the model in order to paint it without leaving finger prints or damaging the paint.

You could also apply sealer in multiple layers. This is something that comes up a little bit in airbrushing but a lot in charcoal and chalk 2d art. When you lay down a color, technique, whatever that you're happy with, even if it's not finished, go ahead and put a very thin layer of sealer. Wait for it to dry and work on top of it. You might seal the area several times in the course of working, but it protects what you've done up to a given point. This works best with spray on sealers (and really the best if you can airbrush your sealer on). Paint on sealers will end up decreasing the resolution on your model as they get thicker and thicker with each layer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Blu-Tac for this, works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way for me is, if I know I'm going to be handling a model that's tricky to hold w/o a base, I just don't clip the feet from the sprue and hold it by the sprue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Neal
msg tools
Ok thank you everyone for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Henriksson
msg tools
mb
Are you mounting them on clear plastic bases? Otherwise I would just glue them to the base and repaint it grey after priming. It should also be easy enough to cut the figure from the base afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
blutack and pencil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoxe
msg tools
I've had worse.
badge
It's just a flesh wound.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Sometimes, I'll paint a mini (or piece of the mini) with a piece of sprue attached. You can use alligator clips to hold the sprue.

You can also superglue or maybe glue with white glue the miniature to a pot.

It's *definitely* going to be challenging.

I've done similar with my Shadows of Brimstone minis. I decided early on that I would not be painting the bases and would attach the base after the figure was painted. Most minis had sprues I could leave attached to the feet. In some cases a little careful sanding and touch up was required where the sprue attached into the toes vs. the very bottom, but for the most part this has worked well.

When priming, I poke holes in a cardboard box (an upside down "tray" like canned goods or canned cat food ships in works well, though around here small Amazon boxes seem to reproduce like bacteria when you're not looking and work just as well). This allows me to stand the figures upright and (somewhat) secure for spraying en masse.

That being said, it's still imperfect. The sprues are weakest at the gate (injection point), and tend to snap off with even careful handling, and can make standing the figures up to dry somewhat difficult (I end up leaning them against paint pots or whatever's handy at the table).

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.