Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an idea that I had recently... I would love some feedback from people, especially people with local gaming groups.

It would be for any number of games that are popular right now such as Memoir '44, Tide of Iron, EuroFront II whatever... but something with a WW2 theme with Axis and Allies players...

You first network several gaming groups together, groups that meet on an at least monthly basis... once you get a network of gaming groups together, you split the groups in half (within each group) and make teams for the axis and the allies... For example, if I have a gaming group of 6 people, I will split them into 2 groups of 3 people... one is the axis and one is the allies side. (or however many people depending on the game that is decided on)

The axis side of my group would be teamed up with the axis sides of all the other groups (same for the allies), and the games would begin on a set weekend. Each gaming group would play certain games and the results would be posted to a forum or email list or something... Victory points would be used to determine the overall winners (axis side or allies side) so if my group played and I was an axis player and we got smashed and lost, the OVERALL group of axis players might have won because overall the victory points (of ALL the gaming groups) might have ended up pushing us over the top for a victory...

So we keep track of each team that wins each month (or every other week, or however often), and gaming groups are eliminated as time goes on based on low scores and high scores (for instance, if the St. Louis gaming group has gotten the lowest scores each time for their losers, they are eliminated) (note: I do not know anyone from a St. Louis gaming group, so please do not take that personally!!!).

Anyhow, it would eventually come down to 2 gaming group... let's say for example the Central Florida gaming group vs the Chicago Gaming Group (or whatever) and they each have their own battles, and there will be an ultimate winning gaming group (based on points) and IN that gaming group, their will also be a winning and losing side (axis or allies), so actually only HALF of a gaming group can be the overall winners.

The idea is still lose in my mind, but you get the idea, we could have a forum to smack talk each other, a chart online to post the current standings, etc... and it wouldn't be a one off elimination - meaning you wont be out the first day if you lose the game, it would be like 2 or 3 games to determine who is out each time, etc... So if it was played every other week (2 games a month) the first team out would not be out until the start of the second month of gaming... Let's say that there are 10 gaming groups, this might take a good 5 or 6 months to have an overall winner.

I think it would be really neat to have gaming groups compete against other gaming groups, without having to leave your home town, and also you would have internal conflict between members of your own gaming groups!

If anyone has ideas or suggestions, or wants to take part, please email me or reply to this message. I think to qualify as a gaming group you need to have between 4 - 8 members, and own some common WW2 type games (game to be determined).

Thanks,
Derek...

Edit: Tide of Iron link wasn't working so I fixed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek,

I like your broad expansive thinking...I have been very proactive in organizing individuals, locally, into a group that now meets twice a month. We've had one Tournament of Bonaparte at Marengo, and have been looking to start the "Fury in the Fall" League, (CC: E), this August/September.

I've tried to get other groups in the Bay Area to play against our group, yet most are rather "insular" and don't want to be bothered with such exercises...

But this! This, yes, this, now this is something...something larger, bigger, grander, towering, epic, even. I definately like this, and imagine that I can gather 6-10 folks from my gaming group to partake in this National Event of Epic Proportions, (or NEEP!) (or some such...)

We gather each 2nd Sunday to play CC: E, so it would be easy enough to start with a monthly gathering for NEEP. At this point, let's consider this a National Championship running for this sort of thing...at least until the International Gaming Groups kick in, and then we can Change the name(?) from NEEP to Continual Rumblings United, Seeking Heroes, or CRUSH, or some such...

A force of two beckons for others to join the fray!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will,

Thank you for your reply. I like the name NEEP (National Event of Epic Proportions). Maybe we can get BGG to sponsor us, meaning they would support this by allowing up a forum or something that we can post the results, current standings, who is out, who is in first place, etc., then some kind of prize for taking first place, etc.

So that is at least 2 gaming groups that are up for the challenge... The Central Florida Gaming Group and yours (what is your groups name)?

What WW2 type games does your group have access to play? We need to determine that. I know "Tide of Iron" is hot right now, I have not gotten my copy yet, I am on the second batch of orders so I expect it soon, but it could be anything. Evern something like Axis and Allies, although that would get old fast playing that every other weekend for a few months, unless you played all of the different ones each time (D-Day, Pacific, etc.)

Derek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Derek;

I too like your thinking on this matter.

What you're talking about is a competition ladder along the lines of sports like racquetball. I think that's a fine idea in and of iteself. Howver, I don't get that epic feeling about it.

Wizards of the Coast (WotC) currently has a grand campaign going connecting up many Axis & Allies Miniatures players. The campaign itself is played out using the Axis & Allies board games. And, then individual battles are fought out in detail using A&A miniatures instead of just rolling dice. Everyone's efforts are brought together with some managing authority.

For the 50th anniversary of the end of WWII, an immense effort was put together to game out all of WWII in its entirety. If I recall, it took a year or two to accomplish. I don't remember the details of which games were used. Commanders at all levels were assigned such that some people were playing strategically, some operationally, while others played out grand-tactical or tactical engagements. Some games were naval, other land, you get the idea.

What I would find epic is to indeed network these gaming groups together but to engage in some campaign scenario, such that each ToI battle, for example, would have real meaning. "We must take that hill" would have a whole new significance. Moreover, for example, a command decision to rush an objective and take it at all costs would have a real basis, whereas the alternate more tactical approach might be decided upon in order to conserve forces. If a scenario exists in a vacuum, then why not just rush the objective every time.

If the consenus points to a campaign as opposed to a tournament, then there would plenty of details to discuss and figure out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Isaac,

Thanks for your reply, I really like your spin on it... by setting it up more of a map based campaign rather than a competition ladder with the elimination...

So in your example, if you are thinking we use ToI as the game, we have an overall campign going on, and each gaming group takes part in one small part of the overall war each turn... For instance, Gaming Group A's Axis side might be holding a hill and Gaming Group A's Allies side needs to take that hill... the outcome of the scenario will effect the second turn of the campaign because it will not be known until after round 1 who has the hill... and at the same time, Gaming Group B's Allies side might be trying to take out a recently constructed air field or something like that, which is held by Gaming Group B's Axis side...

This also would allow for some email strategy behind the scenes, for example... all of the gaming groups Allies might be talking in email and making plans for the following session, etc.

I like the direction this is going...

Derek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One way we could possibly do this is to use the East Front II map, then assign "Army Groups" Each Army Group is assigned units from another game, say CC: E, based on that game's point system. Each of the Army Groups is further subdivided into let's call them Divisions. Each division is run by a single player, from a group's side, whether he is on the Axis side, or the Allies side.

So, Army Group I may have Divisions A-C, which are run by three guys from that side. Army Group I, would then be placed on the East Front II Map, and they would begin to move. When this AG makes contact with another opposing side AG, then the Divisions, A-C, (if all Divisions were present), would have a battle with the other army's Divisions, (depending on what Divisions were in that side's Army Group.

Then, if this encounter occurs at a city, a "city map" of CC:E would be pulled out, if it were woods-based, then a map representing that would be pulled out.

This way "The Big Picture" could be covered using the EFII map, while smaller battles could be fought out, when AG's make contact.

Within a game club each side would have their representative Axis side, and Allies side. Each game club would be an Army Group. So, my group could be Army Group West, while your club could be Army Group Southeast, and our Canadian friend could be Army Group North. These clubs would be further divided into the Divisions A-? depending upon how many players you get.

My club (Army Group West) would play the "West side" of the East Front II map, while (Army Group North) could play center, and (Army Group Southeast) could play east. This would help simplify the tracking of some critical information.

The distribution of unit points for each Army could be even to start with, then each "Year" there could be reinforcements based on "Strategic Objectives" earned. These SO's would have to be pre-determined, like in Diplomacy, you know where they are to start with, then when you get the supply center, you get to "build" more armies, or navies. So, it would be important to keep what you've got, and expand. Each club could collectively choose 2-3 Strategic Objectives, known to each side, then, let's say I am Axis, then I would choose 1-2 additional SO's that are unknown to the Allies side. The Allies would do the same. (There would have to be some specifications detailed as to the parameters of how these "Secret Objectives" are to be determined.)

These are a few ideas that I've got at the moment...what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will, I really like your idea of using the East Front II map and assigning groups, divisions, etc.

I also like your line of thinking that each gaming group would be responsible for a different section of the map (Canadian group takes the north, your group takes the west, etc.), that would be a great way to determing who is going where and why... take our real life regional location and put them into the maps area.

I also agree the army 'points' or 'size' is even at the start for everyone... Then every year (game turn?) you get extra reinforcements based on how well you do - or loss of points if you do bad.

I think we are on the right track though for sure, I think if we can get a good amount of gaming groups (6 or more?) willing to try it out, we could get some firm details and rules written up and ironed out!

Derek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest that we work on firming up more of the details...as the more groups that are added, the more opinions and the greater difficulty of getting some sort of concensus. On the other hand, more folks, more ideas...

Yet, if we 'get it down' the ideas, and the foundational groundwork, then it would be easier to recruit other groups, and oflks to join...as there would be "something to join..."

I have some other ideas that are from a combination Men of Iron + Wooden Ships and Iron Men concept, that is similar to this. We used the game board from "ack, what is the name of that game?" (Something about Wolves, it was originally a book, then it became a game. There has since been an expansion...) ~ that game.

We had everything set, and then one of the principals moved to North Carolina for a Master's Degree in History...and well, the campaign fell apart.

I would send the file to you, though I am not sure how to attach a file, from my documents, onto a message on BGG.

Is Isaac "in" as well?

If we have three groups only, I still think it would work well, then if others join in later, then the "Med-front" and so forth could be added.

If we start this ~ they will come...(Fields of Dreams reference...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will, yeah I'm in. And, I wholeheartedly agree with you that this has the danger of going 'round and 'round endlessly. For my part, I'm going to chime out for a bit and reserach how others have set up campaign rules. After all, that's what we're talking about--campaign rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok Isaac, that sounds great! Please let me know what you come up with, I am going to be meeting with a member of my gaming group in the next couple of days, he is big into WW2 games and campaigns, having run many campaign games of different types before, I will see what ideas he has.

Derek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.