6 Posts

Day Night Z» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter worth it for me ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grande Fueto
msg tools
Hi,

The game looks amazing and innovative. I'm from Canada (french is my native language, so sorry if it's hard to read) with exchange rate of 1 euro for 1,40 $ canadian dollar (1 usd for 1,31 $cad), and I'm wondering if the kickstarter is worth it for me right now. There's 5 kickstarter exclusives (Shooting instructor, seeker, deformity, martial artist & Tamer) for a total of 10 miniatures.

Normally I get my games from great online stores and the prices are better in canadian dollar than the US dollar on kickstarter. Examples :
I've backed Unfair
( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1960349413/unfair?ref=b... ) at 49 US$ (64,19 $ Canadian$) and it's 42 Canadian$ on the online store.
There's also Slaughterball
( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frogthewhatgames/slaugh... ) at 100 US$ (131 Canadian$) and it's 92,95 canadian$ on the online store.

So now the dilemma is Day Night Z is 85 Euro (119 Can$) + lets say 20 euro s&h (28 Can$) for a total of 105 Euros (147 Can$). If I get the game for a maximum of 100 Can$ (estimated cost if I compare with the examples above - also with free s&h !!) when it's released on the online store. Are the 10 exclusives miniatures are really Worth it for 47 Cad$. And I'm not even talking about adding the Raiders expansion hehe

Just so you can compare with your money value :
100 Can$ = 71,38 Euro$
So 105 Euro$ (kickstarter total) - 71,38$ Euro$ (online store price) = 33,62 Euro$

100 Can$ = 76,26 US$
So 112 US$ (kickstarter total) - 76,26 US$ (online store price) = 35.74 US$

So is it worth it, will the exclusives impact the game, will it add to the fun. Will I be missing on something ? What's your opinion ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exclusives, exclusives, exclusives. Ugh.

Nothing against you, I just get sick of exclusives blinding people to the bigger picture.

Look at all those Stretch Goals that are bundled in a pledge, but not a core box. They estimate $294 worth of stuff in a Survivor pledge. Even if you throw out... say... $60 for the exclusives, that still leaves a $234 left.

Then you consider that you may not get the base game or expansions at retail*, and you're stuck hunting eBay and BGGM. And that's after everybody else has already gotten their copies (which sounds like extra waiting may -not- be an issue for you).

The exclusives are nice and attractive (I mean, a -bear- fighting zombies! C'mon) but the discount to be had here should be an even bigger incentive.

I'm going in for a Hulk pledge and the art book (I like art/fiction books) and feel pretty good about it.

(*or from backing to be honest)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Angel Diaz
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the only "problem" I find about your solution, that I understand perfectly well because I'm on the same boat (in reverse, from US to Spain), is that they've mentioned that there is not yet a final word on the game hitting stores... so actually it is in that "now or never" thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grande Fueto
msg tools
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not just about exclusives, it's just that I overpaid 17 USD for the Unfair game (which as no kickstarter exclusive) that I could have waited to buy from an online store for 32,74 USD (42,95 Can$). For Slaughterball, I was not aware of the kickstarter. If I would have bought it from the kickstarter I would've paid 100 USD + 36 USD for shipping for a total of 136 USD for something that I bought for 76,22 $ (92,95 Can$), so that would've been 60 US$ for exclusives, so I would have not backed for that big difference in price.

If it's not going to be sold in "store", it changes my perception. But if it's available at online store for 36 US$ less. So for now it's all about are the exclusives Worth the approximative 36 US$ that it would cost me.

Kickstarter or online store, I will buy this game. Just wanted some opinionz before burning 30-35 US$ for exclusives characters/monsters.

Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Angel Diaz
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. I really understand your dilemma.
My guess is that it should hit the market being the great game it looks like it will be. But then again, it is just my guess. I haven't read in Spain yet an official word about it.

And, in regards of exclusives, there are a few more in those two expansions. Three of them give you the option to play on of those raiders that might attack our survivors as a survivor (not sure yet if instead or how), and another that gives us some cards to give more gameplay to that Outdoor expansion generating some combats with figures during the travel phase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nebularaven wrote:
I'm not just about exclusives, it's just that I overpaid 17 USD for the Unfair game (which as no kickstarter exclusive) that I could have waited to buy from an online store for 32,74 USD (42,95 Can$). For Slaughterball, I was not aware of the kickstarter. If I would have bought it from the kickstarter I would've paid 100 USD + 36 USD for shipping for a total of 136 USD for something that I bought for 76,22 $ (92,95 Can$), so that would've been 60 US$ for exclusives, so I would have not backed for that big difference in price.

That's the gamble. In general, if the base game is enough for you, wait for retail. If not, pick it up during the KS. *However* don't expect more than one or two expansions to hit the market, and you can't assume that even the base game will be available nowadays.

The reality, though, is that DNZ isn't the only game you want to play. The OLGS is a competitor to KS and, even though this KS game may not end up available at the OLGS, another game you want to play will. I pass on half the KS I would like to back, and still spend much more money than I have to play games with. If DNZ doesn't end up on sale at the OLGS, I'm sure I'll find some other games I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.