Subject: Best deck combinations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean-Patrick MacDonald
United States
Norton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have all the expansions and was going to get a game set up for me and my friend. I looked for advice on what to combine from the core and expansions to build the market and skill decks. I didn't find any though. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You said "combine", I'm not sure if you mean which "decks" to choose and which one's to leave out or if you meant which cards to mix together and create decks? If it's the latter, then that's not something you are supposed to do according to the rules.

The rules state:

Quote:
There are three different asset sets in the base game, labeled A, B,
and C. Three different sets are used to create the asset deck, and with
future expansions, players can switch out asset sets during setup.

The expansions add "D" and "E" decks, so what you are supposed to do is choose three decks from A,B,C,D & E and put the remaining two back in the box. The decks are supposed to be kept separate until you have chosen which three to use and not just mixed all together. That would make the game unbalanced. The same for the tokens. Keep the tokens for the decks you choose and put the remainder away.

As for the skill cards the rules state:

Quote:
There are six different skill sets in the base game, each labeled with a
unique symbol. Six different sets are used to create the skill deck, and
with future expansions, players can switch out skill sets during setup.

The same thing applies to these decks. Whatever skill decks the expansions add, keep them separated by their unique symbols and choose six out of the eight(?) I believe. Not sure if some decks work better with certain characters or not. Maybe someone else can chime in and offer some insight on that aspect.

PS. Thought I just add one other piece of advice. I've found the best way to manage this deck issue is to bag each deck, along with their respective tokens in their own separate bag. That way when you go to play you can just pick three bags and all of the cards and tokens that belong together are there and just put the other two bags back in the box. There are so many cards and tokens, if you don't separate them and just throw them together in the box, setup will take forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
You said "combine", I'm not sure if you mean which "decks" to choose and which one's to leave out or if you meant which cards to mix together and create decks? If it's the latter, then that's not something you are supposed to do according to the rules.

-snip-

Alternatively, his post led me to believe he knew exactly what he needed to do and was asking for suggestions on which store decks to use and which yellow and blue skill decks to use.

To that question, I am not sure what the "best" combination of decks is... I started out by swapping out old decks with new decks and just seeing how it turned out. I haven't noted anything particularly "bad" or "good" about any of the setups that I have tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Dan. I think you have to look at the scenario and figure out the best decks for each one. (You could then write that particular combo down if you thought it was a winner.)

Has anyone done that?

I also like giving the players the choice of choosing one each when numbers permit it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Ivey
United States
Vadnais Heights
mbmbmbmbmb
So I might have glazed over the deck combination rules?

Does it REALLY imbalance the game if you just combine all the decks together?

I just recently picked this up and we just played the original version, no expansions.

But are the cards balanced so well that just throwing them all together will cause issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dustin1280 wrote:
So I might have glazed over the deck combination rules?

Does it REALLY imbalance the game if you just combine all the decks together?

I just recently picked this up and we just played the original version, no expansions.

But are the cards balanced so well that just throwing them all together will cause issues?

This is been discussed multiple times on these forums before, so you can likely find a more detailed answer than I am going to give, however...

The "imbalance" of having all of the cards in the deck is more a case of balancing the various types of cards against each other and how having more cards causes greater variance. For instance, it is theoretically possible with so many cards in the item deck that you will play games where you never see a single green equipment card -- much worse one that actually provides a token for combat.

Likewise, if you just mush all of the skill decks together, you will currently be short a group of Body skill cards (because we only got new Mind and Spirit ones), but it will also greatly increase the opportunity for longer streaks where you see no successes in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Ivey
United States
Vadnais Heights
mbmbmbmbmb
I see, well thanks for the input on that.

I just hate the idea of mixing decks each and every game.

But yeah we probably need more games under our belt, so we will play as recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dustin1280 wrote:
I see, well thanks for the input on that.

I just hate the idea of mixing decks each and every game.

But yeah we probably need more games under our belt, so we will play as recommended.

The good news is, you don't need to change it for every game. Just swap a set for another one and play with it for some games. The only cards you really need to change is when you start playing another scenario. You can change the cards from the advanture packs whenever you want to and they don't expire after 1 game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.