Popular Tags: [View All]
James Carroll
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

This is just a post to show off my new pride and joy, my gaming table. I used the legs and chairs from the old dining room table and made the top, inserts, and apron. There are tons of posts showing how to make a table (which is how I learned) so I will not go into details. If you have any questions, post below or GM me and I will gladly answer.

Notes:
Spent around $500 on materials
Around 40 hours of work
Removable inserts
Push to open cup holders under the apron
Mat purchased from GameMatz.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goeshi
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this might be my favourite custom table yet. Nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben King
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you remove the top leaves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Carroll
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
How do you remove the top leaves?

On the third photo, you can see that i put hinges on that part of the armrest. Once lifted, it allows easy removal of the inserts, as well as access to the power cords and such. If i ever have to replace the LED strip, i have a wire running through to help thread new strip through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have disco nights with the lights off and table lit up?

Nice work! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Looks good! Indeed nice work! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Carroll
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:

Nice work! cool

Maybe? There is a strobe light option with the LED's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job James! I am currently in the process of building a 4x4 but I would like to build a larger one after that and this is the form I am looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Move along nothing to see here. This is not the text you were looking for,
badge
I love scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same infant walker as you, now if only I had the same table as you.... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Nabedian
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
All out of bubblegum
mbmbmbmbmb
Germs1040 wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:

Nice work! cool

This is a gorgeous table and definitely high on my list of inspirations for when I finally get around to designing and building my own.

However, I'm curious how well the LED lights illuminate the playing field. From how I am interpreting the images, it looks like the lights are installed in the armrest towards the outside edge, almost level with the playing field (based on where the holes in the supports are drilled) and shine through the opening at the top near the inside edge. This implies to me that they are actually shining more "up" and converging somewhere high above the middle of the table rather than down onto it. Do you find this to be true? If so, I am trying to picture a solution to this while maintaining a lip for the leaves to rest on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Carroll
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJtheJetPlane wrote:
Germs1040 wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:

Nice work! cool

This is a gorgeous table and definitely high on my list of inspirations for when I finally get around to designing and building my own.

However, I'm curious how well the LED lights illuminate the playing field. From how I am interpreting the images, it looks like the lights are installed in the armrest towards the outside edge, almost level with the playing field (based on where the holes in the supports are drilled) and shine through the opening at the top near the inside edge. This implies to me that they are actually shining more "up" and converging somewhere high above the middle of the table rather than down onto it. Do you find this to be true? If so, I am trying to picture a solution to this while maintaining a lip for the leaves to rest on.

Thank you! So far I am loving it. There are definitely a few things I would do different if I made another, one being the brightness and location of the LEDs. I painted the inside of the arm rests with high gloss white paint to help with the brightness, and it sure is bright. I have to turn the brightness all the way down on the controls to stop it from being blinding. And even then, I feel that the light is more for ambience than actually lighting the board. I have not attempted to play a game in the dark, or slightly dark. I would imagine the lights would become even more blinding and distracting in the dark.
The holes in the support are located on the back bottom side. I would change it to front bottom (nearest the game mat). With the lights being at the back, you can sometimes catch a glimpse of the LED strip, which can be distracting and blinding.

Overall, i think i would toss the LED light idea on my next table. Its a great idea, really adds that WOW factor, and can help with setting the mood, but can be blinding and doesn't truly light up the tabletop.

I digressed a bit, but hope i answered your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Nabedian
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
All out of bubblegum
mbmbmbmbmb
Germs1040 wrote:

I digressed a bit, but hope i answered your question.

Indeed. Sounds like the LED's add some WOW, but probably don't get used that much during actual gameplay. If I decide I still want some built-in lighting I'll have to come up with a modified design.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex michaud
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Its a 4x6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Carroll
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Footmans wrote:
Its a 4x6?

The game mat is 3X6. so a little less than 4X7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Abdelgawad
msg tools
Did you Make any sketches before you built this beauty? would it be too much to ask for copies of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Carroll
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atiberious wrote:
Did you Make any sketches before you built this beauty? would it be too much to ask for copies of it?

Sorry, I didn't write much down. Random scribblings. I would gladly answer any questions you have about the build. If you're interested, I could at least measure it out and draw some plans. Let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Abdelgawad
msg tools
I would truly appreciate that, your table is inspiring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is beautiful work. It's like the one I made, only... y'know, GOOD.

If I guess correctly, the wood you used is red oak?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Carroll
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Habilis wrote:
Wow, this is beautiful work. It's like the one I made, only... y'know, GOOD.

If I guess correctly, the wood you used is red oak?

Ha thank you! You have a good eye, it is red oak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Carroll
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atiberious wrote:

Sorry for the delay. We are in the process of moving and have an 8 month old....

So the table is 83" X 47 1/2" from the top. Since I attached the boards to the side of the plywood, you would need to subtract 3/4" from the sides to get the width of the plywood. I did this because the sides of plywood are ugly.

Bringing me to my first mistake. I planned to use 1" X 5" (red oak) for the arm rails. Come to find out that the local home depot/lowes only sell 1" X 4" or 1" X 6". I went with 1" X 4" which is why there is a gap between the game mat and the railing. If you zoom in a bit on the image, you can see. This would not have been there if I had a 1" X 5" board. So plan accordingly. (since i had already spent money on the cut plywood ($50) I was not going back)

After this, I cut some extra boards down to size for the support. I don't have exact measurements for this but is fairly easy once you have the sides on. The supports need to be as long as the armrest board minus 3/4". Can use any wood. Then i used 1" X 2" for the inner rail that the inserts sit on. This creates the small gap that the LED shines through.

Then i used some 1" X 4" boards for the armrests. Before I attached them, I drilled some 3/4" holes through the supports to be able to thread the LED lights through. I first drilled 1/2" holes, but it was difficult to thread the LED strand through. I had to enlarge my holes.

I glued down 3 of the 4 armrests and left one of the short ends free. I later attached some hinges to it. This allows me access to the cords and LED strip in case they go out. I used a small metal wire through the supports in case i need to change them out.

After this, I sanded everything down, stained, and used a wipe on poly to protect it. I painted the bottom black to match with my game mat since about an inch on all sides will be showing. To make the inserts, I measured what needed to be covered and subtracted the 1" X 2" that would be attached to the plywood. I used three inserts. To remove the inserts, I lift the hinged armrest up and can easily remove the insert.

Then i put the table on the ground upside down and worked on the apron. You will need to do some research on how high up you want the table with respect to how tall your chairs are. You dont want to bash your knees on the apron. I used 1" X 3" for the apron and supported the long aprons with a 1" X 2" on the inside because of the cup holders.

I used a kreg pocket hole jig to attach the legs and the apron. Then cut some angled boards to attached a lag bolt to the legs. The main thing to remember is support. There is a lot of weight on the legs.

I hope this helps and i am sure i missed some of my plans. Let me know if you have any questions during your plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.