Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Sweep says to "add 2 to the Hostile Value of the Locations & the Objective."

The Hostile Value of the Aid Station is zero. I would guess that it stays at zero & you wouldn't increase it to 2. Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You must remember if an area as zero hostile value you still pick because it is only when the value is equal to or higher. So it would be two and could have several enemy near it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PandaBall wrote:
You must remember if an area as zero hostile value you still pick because it is only when the value is equal to or higher. So it would be two and could have several enemy near it.

If I understand you correctly, I guess it's possible for the vicinity around the Aid Station to be overrun by Hostiles (to a Value of 2.)

I'd appreciate it if David could confirm this so that I'll have more confidence that I'm playing it the right way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
PandaBall wrote:

If I understand you correctly, I guess it's possible for the vicinity around the Aid Station to be overrun by Hostiles (to a Value of 2.)

I'd appreciate it if David could confirm this so that I'll have more confidence that I'm playing it the right way.

By the rules you have it right.

You would be drawing for a hostile value of 2 (0+2) for the Aid station (or Refuge) location when on a combat sweep mission.

Even without the +2, since the Hostile value is 0, you would draw a Hostile for that location anyway. Since you draw hostile values to equal or exceed the location hostile value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I'm really happy that I asked the additional question for verification. I've always interpreted (obviously incorrectly) that the zero in the Hostile Value column meant that no Hostiles would ever appear in that particular Location. I saw that as being different from the zero that appears under "Rein 0" (on some Location cards) which I realize brings out level "0" Hostiles. But you're saying that they both work the same way.

I edited my response to ask why the Aid Station says "Rein: None" on top --- when you state that "0 Level" Hostiles can appear there at any RP level?

I would suggest pointing this potential confusion out to new players in your upcoming FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
Now I'm really happy that I asked the additional question for verification. I've always interpreted (obviously incorrectly) that the zero in the Hostile Value column meant that no Hostiles would ever appear in that particular Location. I saw that as being different from the zero that appears under "Rein 0" which I realize brings out level "0" Hostiles. But you're saying that they both work the same way.

I would suggest pointing this out to new players in your upcoming FAQ. Thanks for the clarification.

I have even better news!

I asked Dan about this, and he said:
------------------------
Let's change the Aid Stations from "0" to "None" and add "None" to the rules.

Good catch.
-------------------------

I agree with Dan - good catch!

So I'll add these to the FAQ! whistle
(It only effects a couple of location cards - next print run they should be fixed and for the Pacific they will be correct).

Dan's intent with these few locations were for them to be a safe location. shake
(well as safe as any in war.. I had thought them to be "mostly safe" when I was play testing and so it was printed as it is.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:
Esto wrote:
Now I'm really happy that I asked the additional question for verification. I've always interpreted (obviously incorrectly) that the zero in the Hostile Value column meant that no Hostiles would ever appear in that particular Location. I saw that as being different from the zero that appears under "Rein 0" which I realize brings out level "0" Hostiles. But you're saying that they both work the same way.

I would suggest pointing this out to new players in your upcoming FAQ. Thanks for the clarification.

I have even better news!

I asked Dan about this, and he said:
------------------------
Let's change the Aid Stations from "0" to "None" and add "None" to the rules.

Good catch.
-------------------------

I agree with Dan - good catch!

So I'll add these to the FAQ! whistle
(It only effects a couple of location cards - next print run they should be fixed and for the Pacific they will be correct).

Dan's intent with these few locations were for them to be a safe location. shake
(well as safe as any in war.. I had thought them to be "mostly safe" when I was play testing and so it was printed as it is.)

I received this latest response from you (and indirectly Dan) immediately after I sent you my edited reply. Yes this is indeed good news & makes sense because the Aid Station is already forcing you to move the Objective 1 space further away.

Now I'm going to go full circle, back to my original question. Will the Combat Sweep Mission card bring 2 Hostiles into the vicinity of the Aid Station? I assume not because you said Dan wants to make this a safe location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the value of Hostiles for the Aid Station is now officially "None" - then +2 will have no effect - as you are drawing No(none) Hostile cards for that location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.