Assault on Doomrock» Forums » General

Subject: Have you won? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel Angel Fernandez Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A simple cuestion... have you ever won the third encounter?. The most near I had was two points of life of the boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. And it was a magic moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never beaten the second encounter!!

It is a my goal this year though... finally get to Doomrock. I may have to solo 4 heroes instead of 3 though to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I defeated the tentacle monster once. It felt brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not me. I did get close. But it's been so long, I can't remember who I was up against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
I've never beaten the second encounter!!

It is a my goal this year though... finally get to Doomrock. I may have to solo 4 heroes instead of 3 though to do it.

I now play with 4. Although I haven't played this game in some time, it keeps looking at me when a pull one to play, so I am starting to feel its call again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost beat Evilmancer , he was down to like 2 or 3 life, but a couple really crappy card draws sunk me, it was so, so disappointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Castells
Spain
Reus
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've lost all my 6 plays I've done
(but I like this game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
I beat the game on my first try. I got pretty lucky that time, though; I had a headbanging bard who could counter-charge and interrupt enemy attacks before they happened, which did an immense amount to keep my characters alive. To the best of my knowledge I had no rules mistakes either; if I did then, I still do now half a dozen plays later.

I have not won since. Came close once, but inevitably something happens and the run is scuttled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won once against the tentacle boss. I've played around a dozen games and that was my only win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
goblin miner
Italy
Lodi
Lodi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
Yes. And it was a magic moment.

I know what you mean. Such a sense of accomplishment.
Defeating the dragon (2-player game) was one of the most exciting moment of my board gaming history.

Overall I won twice on about 10 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've won quite a number of games (though a minority), and beaten most of the 3rd level encounters at some point, but we've never beaten the 2nd level encounter Goblin Shaman, which we've faced twice.

To be fair, since we almost always play two-player, we now pick our characters instead of assigning them randomly. (We do then assign the traits randomly.)
With two random characters, you can just get screwed over too badly right from the start, and then it's just not that much fun. Also, picking has allowed us to try all the characters more quickly.

(Note: We own the 2nd edition, in which at least the Zombie Horde is easier. I don't think the other encounters have changed much, though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Closest I came was when I needed one +1 token to be present in 4 tokens on the boss. No such luck. Epic fail, but still a fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tazbro wrote:
I won once against the tentacle boss. I've played around a dozen games and that was my only win.
My only win so far was also against the tentacle monster. I think I'm starting to see a pattern here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Angel Fernandez Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think 6 of life for the heroes is too much tight. It can be a little frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
jhaelen wrote:
tazbro wrote:
My only win so far was also against the tentacle monster. I think I'm starting to see a pattern here...
My single win was also against the tentacle monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just won last night! I believe the previous two games were lost.

I play 2 player games. Two characters are dealt out to each player, and we each pick one, then traits are completely random. I ended up with the Unstable Rogue, and my partner had the Cowardly Mage.

First encounter was the Exploding Tomatoes. We only got one level between us before it started - I took it and received Leap for 2 pts of area damage +1/heroism, and a push after the attack. It was invaluable. My partner had a wonderful item, though. A wand that gave +1 damage to one target on her attack. She was the sniper. Still, we ended the Tomatoes on a razor-thin edge, with 1HP each.

Second encounter was the Wraiths of Doom. We were at the mercenary camp, so we saw it beforehand and managed to get a cheap ability and pick up a bomb that would kill a minion of 3HP or less so we could get a stolen die back in an emergency. That helped tremendously (it was the first time I 'wasted' money on a consumable, and it was well worth it).

Third encounter was the Heart of Darkness and the Mage was all set up to do serious damage (base 4 dmg, single target, +1/heroism, and another melee ability with base 3 dmg), so we sent her in. I shut the door to the outhouse behind her and Leaped and pushed the eyes each to empty groups, while remaining under cover. It worked brilliantly! No bloat!

I win one game in 4, typically, but usually make it to the last encounter. It is difficult to win, but I always have fun trying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chambers
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of times in 1st edition. Once against the Tentacle Monster (definitely the easiest by far), and once against something else (can't remember if it was the dragon or the other dude).

Haven't won in second edition/expansion yet, but have only played a couple of games with it. Last 2nd edition I played I lost on the adventure map when the crazy princess offed one of my characters!

This is one of my favorite games all time. Gonna bring it back to the table soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, my second play through. Lost my first time through with 1st edition , won the second time through first edition

Lost my third time through , 2nd edition.

I really want to play this game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just lost again yesterday. We both had 7 dice and a decent collection of weapons, but the dragon + tomatoes just ate us alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
never. i've played 8 times, and the second one i almost defeat the tentacle monster (1 point left).

but hey, i've survived the zombie horde!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had great hopes for this game, but its ridiculously weighted against the players to the point where it sucks out all the fun, particularly as a co-op game.

Co-op games should be tough. But it's one thing to be tough, quite another to be so ridiculously hard winning comes down to luck (and then only if you've played optimally). You cant' motivate a group of players to play this game after they've been continually beat down by it.

For us, it's just not worth it. I want to like it. But it won't let me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:
I had great hopes for this game, but its ridiculously weighted against the players to the point where it sucks out all the fun, particularly as a co-op game.

Co-op games should be tough. But it's one thing to be tough, quite another to be so ridiculously hard winning comes down to luck (and then only if you've played optimally). You cant' motivate a group of players to play this game after they've been continually beat down by it.

Unless you treat each level as a game within itself... winning tier 1, and then maybe tier 2, and then likely not tier 3

Enjoy the success of advancing to different levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:

dlikos wrote:

Unless you treat each level as a game within itself... winning tier 1, and then maybe tier 2, and then likely not tier 3

Enjoy the success of advancing to different levels.

I guess it all depends on your personality! I'm pretty much the same way - don't have a lot of interest in co-ops that take a long time to play and then you get beat down despite your best effort. However, AoD is one that I look forward to playing fairly regularly because of what Dan said. I can pretty much always win the first encounter, and that is rewarding. If I fail after that, I still have a win. You get better each time you play and it does start showing. Sometimes you still get screwed by the dice, but that happens less often if you know to really focus on getting your first level-up before the first encounter, or to nab a consumable for the leftover gold piece that will make the difference. Work on understanding the behavior of your enemy.

If all else fails, just play some combos that will nearly always work, like the mage and witch. You can lay out some serious smackdown that way. The single best thing you can do in this game is to have an attack that can deal three or four damage (with some heroism) and/or ignore armor.

Of course, it is just a game and if you're not enjoying it, then do something else that you will enjoy instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chambers
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Dan and Jarad. Plus, I think you really have to embrace the fact that you are less likely to win all 3 encounters than you are to fail if you want to enjoy the experience. Much less likely. Once you do that, you may find it a fun challenge to see how far you can get, and an immensely satisfying experience when you actually do beat all 3.

But again, as others have said, if that kind of challenge is not your bag, it's not your bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.