1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dungeon Alliance» Forums » General

Subject: Please offer standees (Poll) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
Would help bring the cost down too. We don't need minis in every game.

Please vote if you would like this option:

Poll
Would you like the option of Standees instead of Minis?
Yes
No
      129 answers
Poll created by BoardTogether
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Please offer standees
I'll add my voice to this opinion. I backed Gloomhaven at the standee level and wish more games that included miniatures would offer the option for HQ standees instead of minis. Maybe if this game needs a relaunch, an option for standees could be researched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamelyn Games is going through this with Heroes of Land, Air & Sea. They created 3 new SKUs for standees, costing them thousands of dollars, and so far 127 of the 1467 (9%) backers have chosen the new cheaper option. They've also admitted that they can't support standees in the future and that expansions won't offer them.

Same with Gloomhaven. Less than 1/3 of backers selected standees, then a vast majority of those added on minis to get both. Future content will also not feature standees.

If the publisher can afford it and it brings in more backers, I'm all for it. Just know that it's not as simple as making something cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, when you start by offering miniatures, most people will opt for that option because it is the "complete" version of the game, and many people in our hobby are completionists. Miniatures are also the trending *thing* in games currently, which is why we see so many companies utilizing them to push their games. I guess I really just wish that certain projects would do the reverse: start with standees and then offer minis as an add-on if the game funds well. Oh well, one upside to saturating the market with so many miniature-heavy games is that there will have to be a tipping point and the costs should eventually start to come down.

On another note, I find the Gloomhaven decision curious considering any expansion that will introduce new monsters/bosses will be primarily standees anyways (though I imagine any expansion to that game will be quite a ways off).

**(edit)** Also, I greatly appreciate Gamelyn Games making this an option, but I think it really puts a negative spin on going with the standee option when you imply that you won't offer standees for any future expansion content and the standees will only be as nice as the number of backers who choose those tiers (and that you'll need 500-1000 backers to do them proper justice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Gamelyn Games is going through this with Heroes of Land, Air & Sea. They created 3 new SKUs for standees, costing them thousands of dollars, and so far 127 of the 1467 (9%) backers have chosen the new cheaper option. They've also admitted that they can't support standees in the future and that expansions won't offer them.

Same with Gloomhaven. Less than 1/3 of backers selected standees, then a vast majority of those added on minis to get both. Future content will also not feature standees.

Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
jayelbird wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Interesting.

Minis are overrated.. If more publishers offered standees eventually people would realize it's a better option for those of us who are gamers not painters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here to voice my approval of this request. I really don't need any more miniatures. A standee version would help reduce the cost and also the weight of the game which may either reduce the shipping cost to the UK (which is actually very reasonable at $10), or at least help it stay at the estimated cost.

At the moment I am not going to pledge as I feel I am buying miniatures that I really don't need.

The game looks great though and I appreciate the effort put in to making it solo friendly. Give us a standee or token option and I am in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually for minis, I prefer them to standees, especially well painted minis. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
Here to voice my approval of this request. I really don't need any more miniatures. A standee version would help reduce the cost and also the weight of the game which may either reduce the shipping cost to the UK (which is actually very reasonable at $10), or at least help it stay at the estimated cost.

At the moment I am not going to pledge as I feel I am buying miniatures that I really don't need.

The game looks great though and I appreciate the effort put in to making it solo friendly. Give us a standee or token option and I am in!

Added a poll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Would you like the option of Standees instead of Minis?
Yes
No
      129 answers
Poll created by BoardTogether

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
mbmbmbmbmb
Standees? Really? See how that fared with Heroes of Land, Sea, and Air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rvrratt wrote:

Yes, it fares poorly when you do it 1) as an afterthought and 2a) inform the people who might be interested in buying standees that you have no plans to support standees in future products and 2b) unless you get 500-1000 backers for the standee tiers, you'll only be able to do an okay job on those standees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
rvrratt wrote:

Well they didn't do it right obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
jayelbird wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Interesting.

Minis are overrated.. If more publishers offered standees eventually people would realize it's a better option for those of us who are gamers not painters.

I'm a gamer, not a painter, and I prefer minis...in all their naked plastic glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to step in and thank everyone for their feedback. We listen to and consider every suggestion that is made about our games. This is one of the many reasons we love BGG so much! meeple

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with the poll is that people who love minis are just going to vote "no" because they see it as "which do you prefer".
When in fact it is just asking if people would like a choice. I mean, why would you not want a choice of standees if you prefer them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Lund
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
mbmb
steftymo wrote:
The problem with the poll is that people who love minis are just going to vote "no" because they see it as "which do you prefer".
When in fact it is just asking if people would like a choice. I mean, why would you not want a choice of standees if you prefer them.

I agree. We are talking about having the OPTION with standees. People voting "no" seem to think they would loose the minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, no one is suggesting that minis shouldn't be available. I like minis too, but I just have so many of them and in this game, they don't really add that much in my opinion as the meat of the game is the deck building and hand management. I can easily proxy the minis if I need them, or use standees if available.

Anyway, I have starred the project for now and I'll take another look when it hits the 48 hour mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a difference between a miniatures game and a game that happens to use miniatures. DA seems to me to be more of the latter, and as such I think standees or tokens would be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would actually want the monsters to be standees instead of a square lying flat on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
BasenjiMaster wrote:
steftymo wrote:

I agree. We are talking about having the OPTION with standees. People voting "no" seem to think they would loose the minis.

Yeah people need to vote properly, it's for the additional option of standees only
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamely cancelled their Kickstarter for Heroes of Land, Air & Sea and will be relaunching in May. Their standee option drew so little interest that they're not going to offer it when they relaunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Coggins
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Boilerman wrote:
BoardTogether wrote:

I'm a gamer, not a painter, and I prefer minis...in all their naked plastic glory.

Yeah. I'm odd in that as long as the minis are detailed enough, I prefer them unpainted. For instance, I love the unpainted look of the Arcadia Quest minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Gamely cancelled their Kickstarter for Heroes of Land, Air & Sea and will be relaunching in May. Their standee option drew so little interest that they're not going to offer it when they relaunch.

Apples to oranges, that game looks like pure rubbish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Apples to oranges, that game looks like pure rubbish.

Not at all. Proves my point. Get out of here with those standees!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.