GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,553 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Gathering of Friends microbadge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gathering [+] convention [+] microbadge [+] vermicious_knid! [+] [View All]
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent email from Alan Moon, he mentioned a GoF microbadge, and how to get one. When I inquired, I got the following response from BGG admin:
Quote:
Nope, no longer available. They would cause too much ill-will from
those who can't attend, I believe.

Now I have attended the Gathering 11 times, and some of my best gaming memories are from those weeks. I regularly wear my Gathering T-shirts and have never had a negative reaction.

When I look at some of the microbadges that people have chosen, I see several that I would never get, or want to get. But I wouldn't give anyone a hard time over it, either. There are a lot of gamers in the world, and as long as we have a common interest in games, then I have no objection to their appalling taste in personal philosophies, music, or sports teams. (Nor am I likely to spend any hard-won Geekgold on a badge that was not related to gaming.)

So I am starting this thread in to appeal for the return of the Gathering microbadge. I have not been able to attend the event itself the last few years, but I would like an on-line reminder of those days.

For those who want to flame this, be my guest. From my perspective, it will say more about you than it does about me. I am comfortable with my motives.

But if you believe, as I do, that any thing gaming related should warrant a microbadge, please leave a response in support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been invited. I can't imagine getting upset over the microbadge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
I've never been invited. I can't imagine getting upset over the microbadge.

Oh people get all hot and bothered about everything. Candyland ratings, women's forums, yada yada. My suggestion... A special secret microbadge ala the Golden Meeple (actually it seems we can scratch GOF attendee off the secret of the Golden Meeple list). Maybe a purple komodo dragon or something and then all the GOF folks just - happen - to get it
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Heh.

A GoF microbadge will "cause too much ill will", but let's go ahead and have a bunch of microbadges representing *religions*!

Sometimes, despite (I'm sure) doing their best, the admins just don't think these things through... :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Neither have I "attended", for obvious and oblivious "reasonings" I'm sure, but if YOU desire some 'validation' in this manner, then by all means go ahead. I mean, having attended and all that in the first place, then sure, go ahead and "rub it in" the faces of others that are envious and downright jealous even. I'm certainly NOT 'one' of such a person for this all either. oh yeah, I also don't CARE the least iota of a whit about these "microbadges" as it stands, of those that don't provide some stated 'purpose' with that, such as a direct LINK to something other than some "I'm ONE too!" aspects.
"FLAME ON!"
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Neither have I []i"attended"[/i], for obvious and oblivious "reasonings" I'm sure, but if YOU desire some 'validation' in this manner, then by all means go ahead. I mean, having attended and all that in the first place, then sure, go ahead and "rub it in" the faces of others that are envious and downright jealous even. I'm certainly NOT 'one' of such a person for this all either. oh yeah, I also don't CARE the least iota of a whit about these "microbadges" as it stands, of those that don't provide some stated 'purpose' with that, such as a direct LINK to something other than some "I'm ONE too!" aspects.
"FLAME ON!"
devil

I concur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh! I got a GROGnads response. Now if I just understood it.

I think it assumes something about my motives that he would have no reason to believe is true. Although I notice he has put the AH microbadge into his avatar. I could do that too; change my avatar to something that included what I was looking for. Would save on GeekGold, too. But I like it the way it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Like the religion badges, or any other badge, I think it's great as long as anyone that wants one can get one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
how about a geek badge? That would work too, or add GOF attendee to your name field. I'm still rather fond on my purple komodo dragon MB though.
ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't see the problem w/ having a GoF microbadge. i have never been nor am i likely to ever be invited, but would hold no ill will against anyone just because they had a badge saying they had been.

that's just silly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
AllenDoum wrote:
Ooh! I got a GROGnads response. Now if I just understood it.

I think it assumes something about my motives that he would have no reason to beleive is true. Although I notice he has put the AH microbadge into his avatar. I could do that too; change my avatar to something that included what I was looking for. Would save on GeekGold, too. But I like it the way it is.
actually, someone ELSE 'put' that "logo" into this when they 'designed' that, and who am I to "object"? By the way, then YES I did understand your "ulterior motive" for that, yet too many around HERE wouldn't! They'll be seeing that as a "flaunting" for it and being the spiteful folks that they ARE, then it is to be acknowledged as "elitist" as well. Hey, it isn't YOUR "fault" that the "invites" aren't better spread around to accommodate many others then, so maybe a few of THOSE would be willing to "give up" theirs for that, but I wouldn't hold my "breath" on this! Not enough "greedy" people are all too willing to be so "generous" eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
how about a geek badge? That would work too, or add GOF attendee to your name field. I'm still rather fond on my purple komodo dragon MB though.
ninja

As you can see, I use my name field for my name. Boring, huh? I can't say that the "secret" badge idea does much for me, either. If I had a Komodo Dragon, people might think I was a fan of parthenogenesis. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I am not familiar with the "Golden Meeple". Where is there an example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been invited, unfortunately, I've never been able to afford to go (travel cost).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Quote:
no ill will against anyone just because they had a badge saying they had been.

If everyone that wants one can get one it doesn't matter whether or not you've actually been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Beeler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Pretty soon, you've been around long enough that you're old.
badge
Why am I the only one who has that dream?
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe that's the solution - a GoF microbadge that everyone could by. You'd be silly to do it if you hadn't been, because why would you? But of course you could, so it's not exclusionary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
AllenDoum wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
ninja

As you can see, I use my name field for my name. Boring, huh? I can't say that the "secret" badge idea does much for me, either. If I had a Komodo Dragon, people might think I was a fan of parthenogenesis. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I am not familiar with the "Golden Meeple". Where is there an example?

Here is a thread related to the Golden Meeple:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1514846

To see the fabled critter see:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Randy+Cox and look at his micro badges. Here are all of the people who (current theory holds) pulled Aldie out of a burning building
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/microbadge/229

Well, sorry, I'm out of ideas, for ya. Good luck!
Cheers,
Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might foster ill-will from a few boneheads. But of all the things to prohibit, that seems hard to reckon.

Whatever.

The site feels less and less familiar to me these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
A GoF microbadge will "cause too much ill will", but let's go ahead and have a bunch of microbadges representing *religions*!

I feel ill every time I see certain religious microbadges, but I bite my tongue about it. To think that some people are allowed those symbols which, truth be told, wars are fought over, but a GoF microbadge is not allowed, is really, really stupid. IMnsHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
This was my call, and I'll take the blame for it.

I was the one who said it would cause ill-will from people who can't attend, but that was really just me busy with other work, and trying to get an email out of my inbox. The longer version of this is that I didn't think it was a good idea to create a situation where a significant number of users had badges advertising the fact that they were invited to an event that another significant number of users would like to go to, but can't. BGG is by its nature egalitarian, and having visible reminders that some people can go to this event rubbed me the wrong way. I figured that we'd gone this long without the microbadge, and that there was no reason to start giving them out now.

Ironically, I thought that deleting it now would forestall any controversy. Considering the fact that it would NOT have been the case that anyone who wanted one could have gotten the badge, I still think that it was the right call--having a microbadge that was available only to certain people clearly would have bothered some users, as evidenced by some posts in this thread.

As for the issue of other microbadges that people find offensive, while we can debate whether it was a good idea to allow them in in the first place, I am certain that getting rid of them now would offend even more people. Aldie recently made a microbadge blocker that will allow users who care to do so to block all microbadges from view--perhaps this will help, when it becomes available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
This was my call, and I'll take the blame for it.

I was the one who said it would cause ill-will from people who can't attend, but that was really just me busy with other work, and trying to get an email out of my inbox. The longer version of this is that I didn't think it was a good idea to create a situation where a significant number of users had badges advertising the fact that they were invited to an event that another significant number of users would like to go to, but can't. BGG is by its nature egalitarian, and having visible reminders that some people can go to this event rubbed me the wrong way. I figured that we'd gone this long without the microbadge, and that there was no reason to start giving them out now.

Ironically, I thought that deleting it now would forestall any controversy. Considering the fact that it would NOT have been the case that anyone who wanted one could have gotten the badge, I still think that it was the right call--having a microbadge that was available only to certain people clearly would have bothered some users, as evidenced by some posts in this thread.

As for the issue of other microbadges that people find offensive, while we can debate whether it was a good idea to allow them in in the first place, I am certain that getting rid of them now would offend even more people. Aldie recently made a microbadge blocker that will allow users who care to do so to block all microbadges from view--perhaps this will help, when it becomes available.

I certainly understand the reasoning Daniel, but isn't the Geek of the Week badge equally 'elitist'? Only certain people can get the GOTW badge, and only if they are nominated by their peers for the honor. However, (hopefully) most of us do not feel jealousy toward them for being bestowed this honor.

In fact, it seems there are fewer GOTW badge holders then there are Gathering attendees, which makes it an even more 'elite' badge.

Just to be clear, I think the GOTW badge, and recognition that goes along with it, is a great thing for those so honored. Also, I do agree that there are some people that would be critical of those people fortunate enough to have been invited to the Gathering, and bold enough to wear a Gathering microbadge if it were available.

I just think that the logic applied to removing the Gathering badge could just as easily be applied to the GOTW badge.

As for a microbadge blocker that blocks all microbadges because we might not like some of the badges...well, that seems like having a button that blocks all forum content if we object to a handful of messages. Not very useful in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cornjob wrote:
It might foster ill-will from a few boneheads. But of all the things to prohibit, that seems hard to reckon.

Whatever.

The site feels less and less familiar to me these days.
"cornjob" PLEASE don't GO! cornjob please DON'T go! cornjob please don't go down to New Orleans, you KNOW how much YOU mean to us'ns here where you been..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
futurescaper wrote:
I certainly understand the reasoning Daniel, but isn't the Geek of the Week badge equally 'elitist'?

Even if it were true, that does not mean that we should introduce another such badge. But I don't think the situations are comparable.

Wearing a Geek of the Week microbadge is sort of like telling people that you were interviewed by the local paper. Wearing a Gathering microbadge is sort of like telling people that you are going to this great party that they really want to go to also, but can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Wearing a Geek of the Week microbadge is sort of like telling people that you were interviewed by the local paper. Wearing a Gathering microbadge is sort of like telling people that you are going to this great party that they really want to go to also, but can't.

what about the mysterious golden meeple?

if anyone is offended by the great party GoF microbadge, they could just block in and never be the wiser

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
futurescaper wrote:
I certainly understand the reasoning Daniel, but isn't the Geek of the Week badge equally 'elitist'?

Even if it were true, that does not mean that we should introduce another such badge. But I don't think the situations are comparable.

I don't see the difference. There are probably people here who wonder why they have never been Geek of the Week, just as there are those who wonder why they haven't been invited to the Gathering. It would be possible to see either as a special distinction, just as it would be possible to see either as being just being a neat thing. If I am willing to take the occasional shot for having such a badge, how is it different from any other badge, whether everyone can buy one or not?

Bad timing for you, Daniel, that you deleted it just before Alan Moon mentioned it in his newletter. But most of the comments here have found no objection to it, so perhaps you should reconsider your position.

And why haven't I been Geek of the Week? soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:
AllenDoum wrote:

I don't see the difference.

Both the Geek of the Week and the Golden Meeple badges directly related to behavior and events on the site. There is a clear difference.

but yet they could both cause the same supposed ill-will, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.