Subject: Most Frustrating Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
One of my most frustrating plays was with my brothers and the game Necromunda. I was a live and escape or die scenario. My younger brothers bottled out quickly. Now to be neutral we took turns rolling against each other for the aliens which were our opposition. What frustrated me the most was when my brothers rolled against me and did more damage than they did rolling for themselves. I got mad and then fanatical about my rolls to the point where it may have been overboard because I couldn't get revenge on my brothers by rolling against them. Anyone have frustrating sessions like this? What were your experiences rolling against another player for the NPCs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this geeklist

Games Where Some Guy Just Totally Flipped Out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
SpecularRain wrote:

Came here to post the same thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Interesting, I will check this out. In my case there was no fighting just profound annoyance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I game, the less tolerance I have for dice unless given a way to mitigate rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My most frustrating play was during BANG! When the Sheriff had a volcanic and killed me on their first turn (before I even got to play once!).

To make matters worse... I was their Deputy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
The more I game, the less tolerance I have for dice unless given a way to mitigate rolls.

Interesting as the more I game, the less interested I am in the vanilla planning that comes with overly deterministic actions and futures, in a lot of cases. Modern Euros are 98% flop for me consequently, as they don't have enough player interaction to make up for the lack of chaos built in.

Frustrating sessions for me are agreeing to try said Euros (Marco Polo, Terraforming Mars, etc) and being bored to tears long before the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our very first play of Star Wars: Rebellion was 3-player, with one playing the Empire and two of us playing the Rebellion. This probably wasn't the best way to learn the game as-it-was but what made matters worse was that it amounted to an abysmal failure for the Rebels. Zero Objectives accomplished and very little unit production. And at five hours long, that's just not the kind of experience you want your first time out.

Many lessons were learned that day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
Our very first play of Star Wars: Rebellion was 3-player, with one playing the Empire and two of us playing the Rebellion. This probably wasn't the best way to learn the game as-it-was but what made matters worse was that it amounted to an abysmal failure for the Rebels. Zero Objectives accomplished and very little unit production. And at five hours long, that's just not the kind of experience you want your first time out.

This sounds like it needs a long blog post all of its own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My most frustrating play was a game of Stone Age. I needed one gold to complete a hit that would have won me the game. I placed 3 workers in gold and had a +2 tool. I then rolled 111

angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
HeroScape. The dice really do hate me. I've lost every game I played (I played maybe four to six times, it was a long long time ago). In the last game I played, I started off with a bang. I had some paratroopers that ambushed one of my opponent's stronger units, giving me a HUGE early lead. And then it just went down the crapper in lightspeed. From then on I couldn't hit crap and couldn't defend crap.

I thought that one was gonna be my redemption, but nope. The early success was just a tease to trick me into thinking that for once, the dice were on my side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In Shadows of Malice sometimes you would roll dice like 15-20 times in a row. Every few minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh any game won or lost on dice rolls alone is frustrating.

That said, I still enjoy games like King of Tokyo and Dice Town, but that's because you know what your getting from the start. The games that you do all the tactical and strategic play in the world during and yet they simply come down to a few dice roles at the end of the game, frustrate the crap out of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:

And many Bothans died. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:
My most frustrating play was a game of Stone Age. I needed one gold to complete a hit that would have won me the game. I placed 3 workers in gold and had a +2 tool. I then rolled 111

angry

And this is why I'll choose some other Worker Placement game over Stone Age. Why play a game that's going to come down to one last roll/spin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:
And this is why I'll choose some other Worker Placement game over Stone Age. Why play a game that's going to come down to one last roll/spin?
I don't think any play of Stone Age I've ever been a part of has ever come down to a last roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Catan

Got cities in the right places, got roads, got the right ports...and for like 10 turns I only found one sheep! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
samlamiam wrote:
I don't think any play of Stone Age I've ever been a part of has ever come down to a last roll.

Not literally the last roll (like the infamous ending to The Game of Life), but one player rolling three sixes while the other rolls three ones can easily swing a tight game.

But in any event, I'm certain Caylus has never come down to one last roll, and never will.

I play and enjoy plenty of games where luck plays a role, but I dislike dice and they dislike me. sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:
but one player rolling three sixes while the other rolls three ones can easily swing a tight game.
Sure it happens. But so do lots of other random events in other games. The perfect card comes out when another player is perfectly positioned to get it. An event happens that favors one player over another. The goods that are replenished for this round aren't what you needed. A third player makes a stupid move and sets up your opponent. Random stuff happens in lots of games. Stone Age isn't a game where I'm worried about huge swings of random luck. It can happen, but it tends to average out, and there's ways to mitigate it... use lots of workers and have lots of tools. If you end up in a position where you "have to have something" and you didn't get what you need, usually it's because you were playing riskier than you should have. There are much worse games for getting screwed by randomness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maklen9 wrote:
And many Bothans died. . .

I see your Mothma and raise you another one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaosGate wrote:
Catan

Got cities in the right places, got roads, got the right ports...and for like 10 turns I only found one sheep! surprise

Didn't you have wood for their sheep?

Ba-dump-dum. Tip your server.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait...you needed sheep?

You're doing it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Just thought of another one. X-Wing, playing against my brother. I made up a little squadron that would probably kick some ass, and it was all based around a certain pilot having Focus all the time.

At the same time, my brother had created a squadron that would benefit from stealing Focus from enemies. No, he didn't look at my squadron beforehand. He basically shut me down the entire time because I couldn't employ the tactics I'd planned for.

Now, I'm not usually a sore loser, especially in X-Wing, where I have a ton of fun even when I lose, but this match in particular I knew I was gonna lose and I was just a fart pancake the whole time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:
Wait...you needed sheep?

You're doing it wrong.

What's wrong is he's playing Catan…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:
Wait...you needed sheep?

You're doing it wrong.

No, a single sheep it's what I got...not what I needed

SpecularRain wrote:
jmsmith2434 wrote:
Wait...you needed sheep?

You're doing it wrong.

What's wrong is he's playing Catan…

Totally agree

In my defense, I was deceived...or drunk...or both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.