Geromino Pares
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys, I'm a web developer / programmer who loves playing war games and I get very annoyed and sometimes perplexed at the low level of website design for some wargaming companies.

I would like to offer my services to any company who has released a product or products and feels that having a revamped website will help in sales.

Here is my website so you can view the level of design/layout I have. I know that the budget is literally non-existent, just like to share and help companies who are trying to get off the ground or need a fresh redesign! I would also barter for games if need be. I am very flexible ( been doing this for 15+ years )

www.staycreativedesign.com
Not sure where this post would go but here it is

You can PM if you would like some help or have questions !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
pares101 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm a web developer / programmer who loves playing war games and I get very annoyed and sometimes perplexed at the low level of website design for some wargaming companies.

I would like to offer my services to any company who has released a product or products and feels that having a revamped website will help in sales.

Here is my website so you can view the level of design/layout I have. I know that the budget is literally non-existent, just like to share and help companies who are trying to get off the ground or need a fresh redesign! I would also barter for games if need be. I am very flexible ( been doing this for 15+ years )

staycreativedesign

Not sure where this post would go but here it is
Then, there is 'moi' here "embellishing" that for "greater betterment"! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, so a guy advertising his web acumen has dead links on his own companies website. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geromino Pares
msg tools
mbmbmb
rofl which ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I went to there from the initial LINK and saw some for what they are capable upon. It does seem and tend NOT to complete itself into that at first, while several attempts will. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geromino Pares
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
LOL, so a guy advertising his web acumen has dead links on his own companies website. whistle

I sure didn't find any!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Hoepper
msg tools
mbmbmb
For me it works fine. I´m on a Mac though OS X Sierra). Not a tech wizard, but for me it shows the superiority of Der Apfel whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duempel51 wrote:
For me it works fine. I´m on a Mac though OS X Sierra). Not a tech wizard, but for me it shows the superiority of Der Apfel whistle

This isn't intended to be harsh, but it's late and I'm tired so don't have time to massage it properly and I think there's enough to your site that it deserves a reply. Initial thoughts from a software engineering contractor that works on a sites for clients ranging form some small companies with single digit employee counts to some shockingly huge organizations:

If you're serious at all you need to be testing on at least a basic a range of browsers and OSes. Any company handing over their website to someone who doesn't do at least that would be being irresponsible. Even if the work is low cost to free. You Apple comment is amusing, but worrying.

I didn't find any broken links, but also didn't try every one I saw.

Getting a website to look good and work on a single combination makes for a nice 'sketch' to show someone, but getting it to work on a suitably broad range is where it gets tricky. Especially with JS and the like. Some of the responses here indicate your site isn't there yet, but I didn't run into anything myself. I just spent two weeks figuring out why the heck one of the sites I maintain had an issue in IE8 (just 8, earlier or later was fine) but only when the computer running the browser was geographically in mainland China.

Speaking of JS... While not strictly necessary, a site should at least partially work with JS disabled. Alternatively, it should instead inform the viewer why it does not work. A common solution is <noscript> tags.

That said, while there are a few elements of the design on that site I have issues with, overall I like the basic design and flow. And there are certainly some game companies in need of better sites. Some of the content itself is hand wavy MBA playbook gobbledeygook enough to be off-putting, but as an engineer my threshold for that is different than the general public, executives, or (shudder) marketing and so I understand why it's there to a certain extent.

Me, I suck at the design stuff, so while I can find a few problems, I'm the last one you want suggesting solutions. Expanding on that attitude, I work for a company who's main focus is contract software engineering mostly for various websites, and *we* contracted out our new website design to a third party.

Out of curiosity, where are you located? Is the company more than just you? Asking because two locations are mentioned. And if so, was it your design, someone elses, or a group effort?

I may be in need of some design work in the near but not immediate future. I've bookmarked your site to wander back though later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geromino Pares
msg tools
mbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
Duempel51 wrote:

This isn't intended to be harsh, but it's late and I'm tired so don't have time to massage it properly and I think there's enough to your site that it deserves a reply. Initial thoughts from a software engineering contractor that works on a sites for clients ranging form some small companies with single digit employee counts to some shockingly huge organizations:

If you're serious at all you need to be testing on at least a basic a range of browsers and OSes. Any company handing over their website to someone who doesn't do at least that would be being irresponsible. Even if the work is low cost to free. You Apple comment is amusing, but worrying.

Getting a website to look good and work on a single combination makes for a nice 'sketch' to show someone, but getting it to work on a suitably broad range is where it gets tricky. Especially with JS and the like. Some of the responses here indicate your site isn't there yet, but I didn't run into anything myself. I just spent two weeks figuring out why the heck one of the sites I maintain had an issue in IE8 (just 8, earlier or later was fine) but only when the computer running the browser was geographically in mainland China.

Speaking of JS... While not strictly necessary, a site should at least partially work with JS disabled. Alternatively, it should instead inform the viewer why it does not work. A common solution is <noscript> tags.

That said, while there are a few elements of the design on that site I have issues with, overall I like the basic design and flow. And there are certainly some game companies in need of better sites. Some of the content itself is hand wavy MBA playbook gobbledeygook enough to be off-putting, but as an engineer my threshold for that is different than the general public, executives, or (shudder) marketing and so I understand why it's there to a certain extent.

Me, I suck at the design stuff, so while I can find a few problems, I'm the last one you want suggesting solutions. Expanding on that attitude, I work for a company who's main focus is contract software engineering mostly for various websites, and *we* contracted out our new website design to a third party.

Out of curiosity, where are you located? Is the company more than just you? Asking because two locations are mentioned. And if so, was it your design, someone elses, or a group effort?

I may be in need of some design work in the near but not immediate future. I've bookmarked your site to wander back though later.

Thank you for your suggestions and help I guess? The websites I currently really do not have to be compatible for IE8, I understand as a software engineer compatibility for huge corporations are a must. In the type of business I have been in that type of feature is usually requested beforehand, and having JS turned off is also a feature usually requested by the client. You are right about the no script tags but I am not targeting people who turn off JS at all, and if they did turn it off they are smart enough to realize and turn it back on . The responses I received here were of grammatical errors and links not working, which I truly appreciate all going over the site.

I am currently fly between Oklahoma and Miami Beach florida and have offices there. All designs, logos, and pretty much everything else was done by me.

I didn't make an apple comment??!

Once again thank you for your reply and input.

I just was offering a service to gaming companies who weren't sure where even to start or don't have the funds.... I was just giving back to the wargaming community!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pares101 wrote:

My bad, I mushed together two posts in my head. One wasn't yours. Which makes my second paragraph irrelevant also. Did I mention it was already later than I should have been posting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He fixed the links after my posting as they work now, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prisoner of Conscience
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please help
http://nwswargaming.net
Their site looks like something from the early 90s.
They are a great source for wargames, but their website is not very aesthetic to look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Hoepper
msg tools
mbmbmb
pares101 wrote:
keethrax wrote:
Duempel51 wrote:

Thank you for your suggestions and help I guess? The websites I currently really do not have to be compatible for IE8, I understand as a software engineer compatibility for huge corporations are a must. In the type of business I have been in that type of feature is usually requested beforehand, and having JS turned off is also a feature usually requested by the client. You are right about the no script tags but I am not targeting people who turn off JS at all, and if they did turn it off they are smart enough to realize and turn it back on . The responses I received here were of grammatical errors and links not working, which I truly appreciate all going over the site.

I am currently fly between Oklahoma and Miami Beach florida and have offices there. All designs, logos, and pretty much everything else was done by me.

Once again thank you for your reply and input.

I just was offering a service to gaming companies who weren't sure where even to start or don't have the funds.... I was just giving back to the wargaming community!

Sorry for causing so much misunderstanding, but after fighting for months to get a top notch iMac again (yes budget talks in my household supersede every budget talks in a political parliament to the kindergarten affair). And after finally winning this one (or was it rather whining all the way?) I feel complete again, since working with this machine is just a joy trip.

I should finally get my avatar, so people can jump at me and not innocent bystanders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
Wargame companies - please keep your old convoluted website design if it runs faster than the slow-as-molasses site linked in the original post!!!

What's slow about it? I'm on a connection of only moderate speed, simultaneously streaming video, and the load times are plenty fast enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris 2ème et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
Bleu, Blanc, Rouge: Liberté, Égalité et Fraternité.
badge
Ravens.
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
The Maverick wrote:
Wargame companies - please keep your old convoluted website design if it runs faster than the slow-as-molasses site linked in the original post!!!

What's slow about it? I'm on a connection of only moderate speed, simultaneously streaming video, and the load times are plenty fast enough.

No dramas over here either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geromino Pares
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sheesh, never thought so much flak would be thrown my way, I'm not looking for business I am just trying to help war game companies up their visuals to attract younger people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
The Maverick wrote:

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.