5 Posts

Risk: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Hand drawn map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy H

Massachusetts
msg tools
Hello! Before I invest the time and energy I wanted to hear some thoughts of yours. I'm considering drawing the middle earth risk map by hand. The challenges I see are:

Components - I would need to acquire or build the army units etc (since I don't own this (and it's expensive online), it could be tricky - I don't have experience making them)

The cards - This would be more time consuming than I probably expect, but it's doable.

In the end I suppose it's worth buying the game eventually and just using my map, but I wanted to get some input from more knowledgeable people. Maybe making components is easy who knows, I'll look into it!

Here's a picture of a middle earth map I did recently on 8 1/2 x 11 paper (to show I have the ability and am not wasting your time. I think it could be very cool to have and keep for my kids)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice work. I think you can purchase cheap copies of the non-trilogy edition and use minis from that. They aren't particularly great however; I'd be happy just using wooden cubes. A nicer aesthetic overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why the ME Risk map and not the War of the Ring map? Are you planning on play LOTR Risk with them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross T
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good on you for taking the initiative to produce your own map of ME although the Risk game board is particularly beautiful so you will be hard pressed to improve on it. I agree with the earlier poster who said you would be just as well off using blocks and counters for playing pieces, really no need for the game models. You can also get by without the cards if you're happy playing bare bones risk rules. Just ensure you keep the fellowship movement mechanic as that is a core part of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy H

Massachusetts
msg tools
Thanks for the input! I hadn't considered using simple blocks or counters. I can probably make them relatively quickly from extra materials laying around in my wood shop. The stain darkness of various woods could look awesome - ie oak, maple, cherry etc... And as mentioned, could give a hand drawn map board a similar level of elegance compared to how bright plastic pieces would look.

I'm not familiar with the LotR risk rules variations... I was going to treat it as a classic risk game when played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.